UnderGround Forums WTF happened to Gokhan Saki?

7 days ago
9/19/13

Dude came in, super hype behind him. He was getting his feet wet, looking impressive. Striking looking deadly, had that Conor mystique about him.

All of a sudden, 2017 a fight falls through. 2019 he pulls out with unknown injury. Never to be heard from again.

7 days ago
3/16/14

Yea good question. What was his UFC record again? Didn't he win 1 and lost 1 by KO?

7 days ago
9/12/10
OPBongHits -

Yea good question. What was his UFC record again? Didn't he win 1 and lost 1 by KO?

His KO win and his KO loss were both highlight material. The guy seems undersized at 205 and I think he underestimated the striking level of mma fighters. 

7 days ago
7/26/15

Too many wars in kickboxing before he came over 

7 days ago
8/19/03
Brother rabbitte -

Too many wars in kickboxing before he came over 

This, and the fact that MMA striking is a much different ballgame than kickboxing.   Just because you were a good kickboxer doesn't automatically translate into instant MMA success.  Getting blasted, even with a partial shot from MMA gloves, can be enough to end your night.

Also, Khalil Rountree is a goddamned savage and hits like a truck.  Kickboxing champion or not, if that dude lands on you, its trouble.

7 days ago
12/3/13
oranos -

Dude came in, super hype behind him. He was getting his feet wet, looking impressive. Striking looking deadly, had that Conor mystique about him.

All of a sudden, 2017 a fight falls through. 2019 he pulls out with unknown injury. Never to be heard from again.

He recently posted a on his IG saying that he had undergone surgery. Dude is an absolute savage but he’s had over 100 fights and past his best. I believe he’ll be making a return once recovered, probably mid-2020. 

7 days ago
3/16/14
TheDarkPassenger -
OPBongHits -

His KO win and his KO loss were both highlight material. The guy seems undersized at 205 and I think he underestimated the striking level of mma fighters. 

Yea i agree

7 days ago
9/19/13
Mmaster13 -
oranos -

He recently posted a on his IG saying that he had undergone surgery. Dude is an absolute savage but he’s had over 100 fights and past his best. I believe he’ll be making a return once recovered, probably mid-2020. 

hopefully

7 days ago
4/25/11

What about Spong? Any news on him?

7 days ago
11/10/18

I think the guys struggle because they learn defensive tactics for years using the big gloves and that doesn’t translate well at all into mma. Combine that with the threat of a takedown and it’s just a whole new world. 

7 days ago
2/27/11

He went back to Japan where the competition is a little easier.

7 days ago
4/25/11
Eskimo -

I think the guys struggle because they learn defensive tactics for years using the big gloves and that doesn’t translate well at all into mma. Combine that with the threat of a takedown and it’s just a whole new world. 

Not to mention the lack of those 8 to 12 oz's difference protection for their hands.

7 days ago
4/24/14

The takedown threat changes the whole dynamic. Even if there was no ground part of the game, avoiding the takedown while striking makes it an entirely different sport from kickboxing, muay thai, etc. Stance is different, feints are different, distance is different.

7 days ago
1/1/01

As mentioned several times already, it's a completely different game which requires a completely different defense. The angles and transitions where strikes can come from add a very different layer that most of the more pure strikers aren't familiar or comfortable with. Especially when they're already leery about being taken down.

7 days ago
4/2/11
oranos -

Was just about to make this exact same thread

7 days ago
12/18/15
cantuna4u -

He was cherry picked to be Alexander Usyk welcome fight to the heavyweight division but pissed hot 2 weeks before the fight. 

7 days ago
4/25/11
yeah joog -
cantuna4u -

He was cherry picked to be Alexander Usyk welcome fight to the heavyweight division but pissed hot 2 weeks before the fight. 

Ooooohhh...   Didn't know that. Wow. That sucks.

7 days ago
1/1/01

Even the fight he won in the UFC looked like he was hurt and pulled off a KO victory out of nowhere. 

7 days ago
3/31/14

Man I talked him up big time before the Kali fight..the whole room looked at me 20 seconds later like   Yeah nice work dipshit

6 days ago
1/16/12

He looked horrible striking against a BJJ guy in his first ufc fight

sorry striking with big ass gloves is not the same as striking in MMA. MMA striking gets too much shit but it's as close to a real fight then anything else.

Gokan if he chooses to return will probably be violently KO again