UnderGround Forums WWF Brawl For All: Hawk vs Droz

11 days ago
3/24/15

11 days ago
1/1/01

11 days ago
1/1/01

Apparently the B4IA was setup for Steve Williams to showcase his toughness.  Oopsie

11 days ago
1/22/05

Yeah, they set it up for DD Steve Williams to win. Rules were changed last minute. A lot of the wrestlers didn't even know it was going to be a legit shoot. 

Steve Blackman gives a good rundown of the tournament in this video. Said rules were changed from originally allowing kicks, to banning them:

Ken Shamrock said out of everyone in the locker room, the best legit fighter out of all of them was Steve Blackman. Blackman competed in the first round of the tournament, and put Marc Mero (who had legit boxing experience) on his back about a million times with double legs. 

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjzmyt

11 days ago
3/24/07
Samoa - 

Apparently the B4IA was setup for Steve Williams to showcase his toughness.  Oopsie

Even though Bart Gunn won the whole thing it still ruined his career.
11 days ago
9/27/15

Why was Droz in the tournament, he seemed to have no ability..Hawk really didn't either but was just big and strong..

Severn even looked terrible in this tournament..Shammy wouldn't have done much better as the rules were silly

11 days ago
4/19/17

I remember watching this when I was younger....I was mortified at how bad they were at fighting

11 days ago
6/6/09

Can anyone piece together what started this? I can't really tell if the customer was being an asshole but I do love seeing employees stand up for themselves, and this chick did it in spades. 

11 days ago
7/8/09
Samoa -

Lol it exposed a lot of these supposed backstage badasses. Making Bart Gunn fight Butterbean in a boxing match, as a punishment, was completely retarded. They could have pushed him but nooo, let's nearly kill him lol

11 days ago
9/24/12
Jacinto -
Samoa - 

Even though Bart Gunn won the whole thing it still ruined his career.

Because once everyone seen he was the hardest of everyone how can you then book him to lose to a mid card wrestler. They literally had no way to book him other than as their top guy and he had neither the in ring skills nor the charisma for that.

11 days ago
12/31/18

WFA

11 days ago
10/5/12
bbomber -

Can anyone piece together what started this? I can't really tell if the customer was being an asshole but I do love seeing employees stand up for themselves, and this chick did it in spades. 

I was always of the mindset that they wanted to steal some fans.

The storied reasoning is that a wrestler called Bradshaw was running his mouth about how he could beat anyone in a bar fight so much that the booker (Bruce Prichard?) set up a tournament to embarrass Bradshaw. Jim Ross had also been hyping his boy Dr. Death Steve Williams which supposedly angered the locker room.

Bradshaw made it to the finals where he was knocked out cold by Bart Gunn. Gunn also slept William's (which got the locker room behind Gunn) and the godfather. He had sloppy technique, but good power. Gunn actually used takedowns in the godfather fight well when he was being pressured. 

The Butterbean fight was straight boxing and Gunn was just a sacrificial lamb. He did have some time to train, but he wasn't going to keep bean off him without takedowns. If he could have gassed him with early takedowns he had a chance. Instead he was knocked cold himself in seconds.

11 days ago
12/15/00

Until I watched brawl for it all a while back I had forgotten that hawk got so fat and out of shape.  He looked terrible compared to his prime.

11 days ago
1/1/01

Edited: 11 days ago
7/8/09
Kirik -

Lol that was actually entertaining. And there was some good sportsmanship shown by both

7/8/09

7/8/09

Good lord, the Butterbean K.O was even more brutal than I remembered.

11 days ago
12/15/00

Bart Gunn ended up with a couple mma fights.  Fought minowa-man to a decision and beat Cabbage (cut stoppage)

10 days ago
8/19/03

This turned out, unsurprisingly, to be a terrible idea, but they were desperate to pop the ratings however they could back then due to being in a death battle with WCW.

Positioning the event to highlight Steve Williams was, at least in theory, not a totally terrible idea, given the fact that he was a former All American football and wrestling star at University of Oklahoma.  Short of actually seeing him in a real fight, one could argue that just based on the eye test, he checked a good amount of the boxes for being considered a "probable badass".

Reality is a much different thing, though.   Even though MMA had been around for a few years at this point, there was still some mystique around big, mean-looking dudes and what would happen if they actually fought, so it looked pretty bad when Bart Gunn, a jobber, started KOing dudes during the competition. 

Williams's career in the WWF and badass image pretty much instantly went up in smoke due to this. 

Fucking horrible idea.  A few years later, when Antonio Inoki took the reigns of NJPW, he did basically the same stupid shit (even worse, honestly) by putting his TOP stars into MMA fights, with opponents like Cro Cop and Fedor. 

At least WWF was smart enough to put jobbers and mid card into it. They didn't have Stone Cold and Undertaker getting KTFO on national TV.

Fuck.

10 days ago
10/16/16

I find this oddly entertaining...

Edited: 10 days ago
10/28/10

Steve Blackman was/is a legit bad ass. He used to have an MMA gym and put on MMA shows here in Harrisburg (PA Fighting Championship). I fought out of a different gym in his shows, but I did train at his gym a handful of times. He really knows his shit and when he grabs a hold of you, you can tell he could fuck some shit up. Guy is a beast, but very humble. It was fun fighting in his shows, I wish he still did them.

10 days ago
10/5/12
Bradlehmm -

Steve Blackman was/is a legit bad ass. He used to have an MMA gym and put on MMA shows here in Harrisburg (PA Fighting Championship). I fought out of a different gym in his shows, but I did train at his gym a handful of times. He really knows his shit and when he grabs a hold of you, you can tell he could fuck some shit up. Guy is a beast, but very humble. It was fun fighting in his shows, I wish he still did them.

That's awesome. Did he do any weapon training? I only ask because his character as a wrestler.

Does he still have a gym?

10 days ago
3/12/14
cawkgobbler -
bbomber -

I was always of the mindset that they wanted to steal some fans.

The storied reasoning is that a wrestler called Bradshaw was running his mouth about how he could beat anyone in a bar fight so much that the booker (Bruce Prichard?) set up a tournament to embarrass Bradshaw. Jim Ross had also been hyping his boy Dr. Death Steve Williams which supposedly angered the locker room.

Bradshaw made it to the finals where he was knocked out cold by Bart Gunn. Gunn also slept William's (which got the locker room behind Gunn) and the godfather. He had sloppy technique, but good power. Gunn actually used takedowns in the godfather fight well when he was being pressured. 

The Butterbean fight was straight boxing and Gunn was just a sacrificial lamb. He did have some time to train, but he wasn't going to keep bean off him without takedowns. If he could have gassed him with early takedowns he had a chance. Instead he was knocked cold himself in seconds.

It's was a Vince Russo idea 

10 days ago
1/1/01
ons ear -

Why was Droz in the tournament, he seemed to have no ability..Hawk really didn't either but was just big and strong..

Severn even looked terrible in this tournament..Shammy wouldn't have done much better as the rules were silly

Droz ended up a quadriplegic after a messed up powerboat. 

9 days ago
10/28/10
cawkgobbler -
Bradlehmm -

That's awesome. Did he do any weapon training? I only ask because his character as a wrestler.

Does he still have a gym?

No weapons; it was all bjj, boxing, etc. He closed the gym and stopped doing the MMA shows about 8 years ago. I want to say around 5 or 6 years ago, he was trying to do a reality show for WWE Network, called Blackman's Bounties. There is a trailer on YouTube. I don't think it was ever picked up though. Pretty sure he still has bail bond business going today.