UnderGround Forums “Watch your neck, Dustin!”

12 days ago
10/20/16

Bisping needs to quit coaching while commentating. He also told Dustin to keep his hands up. Seemed like he was purposefully projecting his voice several other times too. The UFC might need to relocate the commentators until crowds are back 

What do y’all think?

12 days ago
1/27/12

ya that bugged me...but maybe just heat of the moment reaction of a fan from The Count

12 days ago
4/6/19

yep... can be discounted as commentary. and fighters have their corners to yell too. add a few thousand fans and there's all sorts of advice flowing. 

I guess, if you have to worry about people yelling advice, you're a step behind anyway?

12 days ago
12/28/04

lol

12 days ago
11/18/14
Wayne Glamcock -

yep... can be discounted as commentary. and fighters have their corners to yell too. add a few thousand fans and there's all sorts of advice flowing. 

I guess, if you have to worry about people yelling advice, you're a step behind anyway?

well there's that. but also the bit where UFC employees, particularly announcers, must make an effort to be impartial.

you seem to be aware of the bias, but think it shouldn't affect things, so you're happy enough. lol fair enough

12 days ago
2/17/03

Not a big deal at all. People have their coaches. The commentators aren't giving one-sided advice.

12 days ago
10/20/16
wiggum -

Not a big deal at all. People have their coaches. The commentators aren't giving one-sided advice.

Don’t remember hearing Bisping yell any advice to Hooker, just Poirier, but I could be wrong 

12 days ago
11/8/08
mindless optimism -
Wayne Glamcock -

well there's that. but also the bit where UFC employees, particularly announcers, must make an effort to be impartial.

you seem to be aware of the bias, but think it shouldn't affect things, so you're happy enough. lol fair enough

I hate when people say that commentators have to be impartial. Why? They cant affect the fight or the judging so what does it matter. In every other league sport each team has home field announcers that are 100% biased  homers and nobody has a problem with it.  

12 days ago
10/9/10
bootysweat -
wiggum -

Don’t remember hearing Bisping yell any advice to Hooker, just Poirier, but I could be wrong 

I don’t remember either but these guys are fighters. At this point they either have learned or will learn what to absorb and what to filter out when they are in the middle of a cage fight. Do I think the commentators should try to avoid shouting advice to fighters? Absolutely I do, but sometimes in the heat of the moment shit happens. Plus a lot of commentators are retired or current fighters. At the end of the day it’s up to the guys in the cage to either perform or not perform. 

11 days ago
11/18/14
JoeHurley -
mindless optimism -
Wayne Glamcock -

I hate when people say that commentators have to be impartial. Why? They cant affect the fight or the judging so what does it matter. In every other league sport each team has home field announcers that are 100% biased  homers and nobody has a problem with it.  

I like a bit of biased commentary myself, it is a guilty pleasure. but in this situation, Poirier could actually hear the advice as there was no crowd, obviously.

sorry but someone shouting helpful advice can affect the fight. otherwise everyone would go full Mike Perry. he's an outlier for a reason, because advice can be helpful

11 days ago
7/10/12
mindless optimism -
JoeHurley -
mindless optimism -
Wayne Glamcock -

I like a bit of biased commentary myself, it is a guilty pleasure. but in this situation, Poirier could actually hear the advice as there was no crowd, obviously.

sorry but someone shouting helpful advice can affect the fight. otherwise everyone would go full Mike Perry. he's an outlier for a reason, because advice can be helpful

Whatever would he have done if Bisping hadn’t mentioned keeping the hands up?

Basically armed Dustin with a secret weapon 

11 days ago
11/18/14

you seem to be struggling with the fact that sometimes basic advice can be very helpful to a tired and slightly beaten up fighter. it doesn't have to be ground-breaking to be helpful. 

your best bet might be to come back with something even more flippant and an insult. then we can draw a line under this lol

11 days ago
11/18/14

I voted you up by mistake you asshole

11 days ago
11/8/08
Rabid Bunyip -
mindless optimism -
JoeHurley -
mindless optimism -
Wayne Glamcock -

Keeping your hands up is a secret? Lol

11 days ago
11/8/08
mindless optimism -

you seem to be struggling with the fact that sometimes basic advice can be very helpful to a tired and slightly beaten up fighter. it doesn't have to be ground-breaking to be helpful. 

your best bet might be to come back with something even more flippant and an insult. then we can draw a line under this lol

Anyone can yell out random advice. That doesn't mean its it's good advice or helpful. Yelling out things does nothing. It's all on the fighter to do what he wants and make things happen. It's not like hes taking a math test and a teacher is telling him the actual answers. 

I'm seriously amazed that people really think this is some kind of unfair advantage. I guess the ref shouldn't be telling fighters to work or advance their position because hea influencing the fight?

11 days ago
1/1/01

I don't remember which fight but there was a point he yelled out armbar! and triangle! as basically warnings. Whether you agree it's coaching that can affect the fight or not, we should be able to agree it's just plain annoying commentary.

Also wrt to what Joe said there isn't a home team here... you're gonna divide the audience.

11 days ago
11/18/14
JoeHurley -
mindless optimism -

Anyone can yell out random advice. That doesn't mean its it's good advice or helpful. Yelling out things does nothing. It's all on the fighter to do what he wants and make things happen. It's not like hes taking a math test and a teacher is telling him the actual answers. 

I'm seriously amazed that people really think this is some kind of unfair advantage. I guess the ref shouldn't be telling fighters to work or advance their position because hea influencing the fight?

trolling surely

11 days ago
3/23/06

At the beginning of the fight, Dustin took a nutshot and Bisping said “ah well that’s not good, watch your kicks Hooker” and Dustin said “yeah, listen to Bisping” LOL.  And that was before he started yelling.

i was more concerned with judges being influenced by the commentary 

10 days ago
10/9/10
knockoutfighter -

At the beginning of the fight, Dustin took a nutshot and Bisping said “ah well that’s not good, watch your kicks Hooker” and Dustin said “yeah, listen to Bisping” LOL.  And that was before he started yelling.

Lol I didn’t catch that. Commentary could influence the judging, but again I think saying that takes responsibility off the commission and judges shoulders, when it’s still their job to get it right. They shouldn’t be influenced by anything but their brains and experience. 

10 days ago
7/10/12
JoeHurley -
Rabid Bunyip -
mindless optimism -
JoeHurley -
mindless optimism -
Wayne Glamcock -

Keeping your hands up is a secret? Lol

Sigh

No

10 days ago
4/6/19
mindless optimism -
JoeHurley -
mindless optimism -

trolling surely

no. absolutely correct. when you're fighting, somebody yelling advice isnt the deciding factor

10 days ago
3/23/06
MasterofMartialArts -
knockoutfighter -

Lol I didn’t catch that. Commentary could influence the judging, but again I think saying that takes responsibility off the commission and judges shoulders, when it’s still their job to get it right. They shouldn’t be influenced by anything but their brains and experience. 

It was either the first round or early in the second, the commentators laughed about it when they realized Dustin heard Bisping.  lol 

10 days ago
3/23/06

^^oops I  forgot to respond to the judges hearing the commentators.  Personally, I always thought if the judges could hear Anik, Rogan, DC, etc it would heavily influence their judging, I could be wrong.  Seems so far so good. 

Edited: 10 days ago
11/18/14
Wayne Glamcock -
mindless optimism -
JoeHurley -
mindless optimism -

trolling surely

no. absolutely correct. when you're fighting, somebody yelling advice isnt the deciding factor

lol I am not suggesting simple advice is THE deciding factor. 

following a simple piece of obvious advice, and changing your actions as a result, can absolutely alter the course of the fight. that big shot that didnt get through etc. but that is not to say it will happen in every fight, or after every piece of good advice.

I once spoke to a top trainer in the UK from a famous gym. he told me the simplest advice is often best. when he is in a hard spa, he appreciates the reminder to keep his hands up and his chin down. in the blur of the fight it is easy to be distracted from these basics.

he also pointed out some of the best and most simple cornering he had ever seen. Matt Serra shouting 'breathe' to his fighter.

maybe Wayne or bunny or Joe would like to scoff at how obvious it is that you need to breathe, thus making it worthless advice in their books.. but I also know for a fact it's possible to tense up and not breathe freely in a fight, especially if you're inexperienced.

simple advice can be beneficial and also provides for the mathematic possibility that it could change the course of the fight.

10 days ago
9/3/14

I have to agree with you OP. 

Don`t see why the UFC cannot put the commentators in some booth where they cannot interfere with the fight.

If you watch the fight again, at one point in the fight Hooker was on top control and Poirier was sneakily moving his right leg for a triangle, Hooker could not see this but Bisping yelled it and Hooker immediately defended. 

Even Poirier in the post-fight interview said a bunch of times he heard Bisping comment about what was working so he adjusted/kept doing it.

In the very 1st event back from COVID somebody told Joe Rogan to stop screaming because the corners/fighters/judges could hear him and he arrogantly said "Yeah so what, I`m LOUD what do you want me to do?" , problem with Rogan is he is extremely biased and goes on full fanboy mode so afraid to have him near the judges.

It seems like a very simple fix, Dana put these guys in a booth.