UnderGround Forums What does Gaethje present that Khabib hasn’t seen?

10/20/20 6:38 PM
3/23/06

and how do you see the fight playing out? 

10/20/20 6:40 PM
4/11/10

Chaos. 

10/20/20 6:43 PM
2/29/16

Gaethje has wrestling and can absorb a ton of punishment. Probably the toughest fighter Khabib will ever fight.

I predict Khabib will win a decision.

10/20/20 6:46 PM
2/17/03

He is the second best striker Khabib has fought, but has far better wrestling than Conor. He also has great lateral movement--by far the best of any good grappler Khabib has fought.

10/20/20 6:50 PM
2/28/14

Justin has a great wrestling pedigree that's still a bit of a question mark in MMA. Iaquinta was able to nullify Khabib's takedowns but didnt offer much to threaten him with his striking. Justin is an offensive threat to anyone. He never stops attacking, and he's not going to back down unless you put him out. 

This puts Khabib in a weird spot. He's facing 25 minutes of standup. Dustin was able to hurt him pretty good and it's likely that Justin could put him in a similar position sometime in the course of the fight. We've also seen Khabib visibly slow down a bit in a couple of his longer fights. Conor was able to take advantage of that and tale a round from him. Justin seems to be that perfect combo of skills where, from the rare instances that we've seen vulnerability in Khabib's game, he could exploit all of them and certainly be capable of winning 3 rounds against him.

10/20/20 6:53 PM
11/1/19

He's got the best left hook in the division. Great footwork. Great wrestling. He's also one of the best pressure fighters I can think of. Tony was known for that in your face non stop action and Justin beat him to a pulp. I think Justin knocks him out.

10/20/20 6:57 PM
2/17/03
Gennady Goblin - 

Justin has a great wrestling pedigree that's still a bit of a question mark in MMA. Iaquinta was able to nullify Khabib's takedowns but didnt offer much to threaten him with his striking. Justin is an offensive threat to anyone. He never stops attacking, and he's not going to back down unless you put him out. 

This puts Khabib in a weird spot. He's facing 25 minutes of standup. Dustin was able to hurt him pretty good and it's likely that Justin could put him in a similar position sometime in the course of the fight. We've also seen Khabib visibly slow down a bit in a couple of his longer fights. Conor was able to take advantage of that and tale a round from him. Justin seems to be that perfect combo of skills where, from the rare instances that we've seen vulnerability in Khabib's game, he could exploit all of them and certainly be capable of winning 3 rounds against him.

Good post.

We have seen Khabib's wrestling nullified, but at the cost of any meaningful striking. It might be possible that Justin can do it without losing his striking advantage. He is both a better striker and better wrestler than Al.

Similarly, we've seen that Khabib can be hurt. I would bet all my earthly possessions that Justin would respond better in that situation than Dustin, who did not pursue the finish intelligently. (As a rule of thumb, never square your hips when you have a wrestler on the ropes).

10/20/20 8:30 PM
1/1/01

High level wrestling to somewhat offset Khabib's wrestling, laser sharp hands, and can go full-out the entire time without gassing.

That's a handful for anybody including Khabib.

10/20/20 9:18 PM
3/23/06
Mandible_Claw -

Gaethje has wrestling and can absorb a ton of punishment. Probably the toughest fighter Khabib will ever fight.

He is a good wrestler it’s just hard to gauge how good it is for MMA.  Granted he hasn’t needed it.  

But do you believe Gaethje is the best wrestler Khabib has faced?  

10/20/20 9:20 PM
3/23/06
JThomasufc91 -

He's got the best left hook in the division. Great footwork. Great wrestling. He's also one of the best pressure fighters I can think of. Tony was known for that in your face non stop action and Justin beat him to a pulp. I think Justin knocks him out.

I really hope so.  Just to give the division some parity and fresh matchups.  I see Khabib winning a decision or 3-5rd tko 

10/20/20 10:28 PM
3/29/09
A straight up ass whoopin. Justin is gonna starch habib.
10/20/20 10:41 PM
1/1/01

If Khabib is ever going to lose, Gaethje is the fighter best suited to do it. Division 1 All-American with a relentless, fearless with ridiculous knockout power.

10/20/20 11:06 PM
11/2/09

I say that Justin has heart more that Khabib has seen. Conor had soo much more power than Justin ever had but under pressure he will fold which is what happened against Khabib. But is it enough I dont think so Khabib will be on his face and when first takedown happens well after that it will be like Poirier "I cant keep him away from me!".

Only way to beat Khabib is with one punch KO power and I just dont think Justin has enough of it. 

10/20/20 11:13 PM
2/29/16
Chris -

If Khabib is ever going to lose, Gaethje is the fighter best suited to do it. Division 1 All-American with a relentless, fearless with ridiculous knockout power.

Nah, Khabib would more likely get choked out by a darce choke up against the cage. Tony was the guy who had a good shot, when he was at his best. 

Edited: 10/21/20 12:22 AM
2/13/16

Pretty much everything everyone’s already said. This is one of the better examples of “ s t y l e s make fights” that I can think of in recent years.  Also those damn calf kicks will really take some pep out of khabib.

I think the bigger question is, how does gaethjes chin hold up?  I can’t remember what happened in those tko losses.. meaning was it his chin or was he just getting way too wreckless.  Khabib may not be a high level striker, but he’s got some power, and one punch is all it takes with 4oz gloves.  

if the smart patient Justin that destroyed Ferguson shows up, I think he starches khabib. 

Edited: 10/21/20 1:37 AM
12/10/09
knockoutfighter -
Mandible_Claw -

He is a good wrestler it’s just hard to gauge how good it is for MMA.  Granted he hasn’t needed it.  

But do you believe Gaethje is the best wrestler Khabib has faced?  

Nope. Definitely not the best wrestler he’s faced. Maybe the best fighter overall, though? 

10/21/20 1:57 AM
11/21/05
I think he will have more explosive power and will prove that he can preserve it, I think he explodes out of anything Khabib attempts easier than we could have believed and then late in the second early 3rd I think Gaethje TKO's him.
10/21/20 2:01 AM
8/8/18

Justin has nothing Khabib hasn't seen before, this fight should look like khabibs last fight but I won't be surprised if Gaethje KO's him early.

10/21/20 2:11 AM
8/8/18

Justin said he doesn't use his wrestling because it's tiresome, I wonder if he wrestles much in camp or when he trains in general? 

Edited: 10/21/20 3:35 AM
1/1/01
Joshinho -

Justin said he doesn't use his wrestling because it's tiresome, I wonder if he wrestles much in camp or when he trains in general? 

It's clear for this camp from the countdown and eumbedded he's training hard on his wrestling. Poiriers wrestling isn't even comparable to Justin's so I don't know how you can say the fights will look the same.

10/21/20 3:37 AM
5/5/13

10/21/20 4:02 AM
7/27/04

First time fighting with no Abdulmanap

10/21/20 4:44 AM
8/8/18
Whambo -
Joshinho -

It's clear for this camp from the countdown and eumbedded he's training hard on his wrestling. Poiriers wrestling isn't even comparable to Justin's so I don't know how you can say the fights will look the same.

It's not comparable in the sense that we haven't seen anything from Justin to compare his MMA wrestling to Poirier. 

10/21/20 5:28 AM
1/1/01

short range thai kicks. Never seen someone throw them from so close, unlike Barboza who seems to require more range

10/21/20 6:38 AM
3/17/14
wiggum -

He is the second best striker Khabib has fought, but has far better wrestling than Conor. He also has great lateral movement--by far the best of any good grappler Khabib has fought.

wrong, Barbosa is light years ahead in striking than JG. striking includes leg kicks... which Barbosa has the best kicks in the game. even if JG caught Barbosa... technically.. Barbosa is a better striker everywhere.