UnderGround Forums What hype train was derailed the fastest?

6 days ago
11/24/07

Pico and sokodjku have been mentioned but Houston Alexander is another one. 

6 days ago
2/13/16

Ronda.  One bit of adversity was all it took.

6 days ago
5/3/12
fathalpert -
Calhoon -

Some good ones are already taken but another one is Philip Nover who was going to be the next Anderson Silva

This guy for sure, I remember hearing comparasins to both AS and GSP.

Yeah, Dana compared him to GSP.

6 days ago
2/27/11

Brendon Thatch went downhill very quickly

6 days ago
6/2/04
staygreenponyboy - David Terrell’s hype train was pulverized by Evan Tanner.

He's a tough one, because he stopped 5 guys in a row to earn the title shot, lost then finished another guy before he stopped fighting. I put him in the same category as Gabriel Gonzaga or Joe Riggs...they were talked about as guys who should have been long reigning champs, but they failed to win the belt and fell off. Terrell is tough though because he was 25 when he lost to Tanner. If he didn't deal with the injuries and other bullshit, he still could have been a star.

When I think hype train getting derailed...I think more about dudes like Phillipe Nover. Dana was saying on TUF that he could be the next GSP, then he loses in the finals of TUF and loses his next 2 fights and is cut. He got another shot, but his overall UFC record is 1-6...a far cry from "the next GSP."

Erich Silva is another great example. He was talked about as if he was some next generation talent who was for sure going to be champ.

Sage Northcutt had hype, but the UFC knew he sucked...they gave him easy fights, and he even lost some of them. He might have been hyped because he brought eyes, but I don't think the UFC ever really thought he was going to be great. Maybe they thought he'd grow and get better because he was so young, but he never showed it in the cage.

6 days ago
2/27/20
Darth Potato -

Ronda.  One bit of adversity was all it took.

I dont know that you can call it hype when you are responsible for WMMA being in the UFC and winning tens of millions of dollars and headlining some of the most successful ppvs ever bro.

This is more about people who never reached their potential.  It is a difficult argument that she didnt have a peak.

6 days ago
4/9/16

Gokhan Saki? 

6 days ago
1/1/01
Karo
6 days ago
5/26/14

Eric Perez

6 days ago
12/15/07

I wouldn't call it a hype train, and he had a lot of wins, but I always wondered why Chris Horodecki never really broke through.

6 days ago
6/26/17

Gomi

6 days ago
5/18/01
Marco Ruas
5 days ago
6/3/08

Houston or Funky. 

5 days ago
2/2/05
MarcusAurelioFan -

Houston Alexander was terrifying after he destroyed Jardine and Sakara.. then Thiago happened.

Where is Thiago Silva these days?

5 days ago
11/17/10
papa pump -

Gomi

LOL

5 days ago
6/26/17
MagnumPeeEye -

Houston or Funky. 

Ummmm... I'm not sure you heard, but

Houston Alexander is for real

5 days ago
5/22/15

CM Punk then Kimbo Slice.

5 days ago
10/18/12

CM Punk

5 days ago
1/1/01

"I remember when

he hit the UFC his physique and charisma led to very decent paydays and for a bit Paige and Sage were

the big prospects"

I wonder if Sage banged Paige.

5 days ago
11/24/09

i thought roger huerta was going to be in the ufc for a long time he lost 2 in a row and never fought there again 

5 days ago
5/22/15
akbar87 - 

i thought roger huerta was going to be in the ufc for a long time he lost 2 in a row and never fought there again 

Yeah, but then he kicked Rashad Bobino's ass for striking a woman.

5 days ago
1/1/01

Most of the good ones were mentioned. Vitor, as mentioned, was the first big one to go down. Those early UFCs had a lot of guys who got a lot of hype before the event and sometimes it went off the rails because they'd never fought.

Carlao Barreto had a decent bit of hype being undefeated and beating Geza Kalman, Dan Bobish, and Kevin Randleman in a tournament. Then Dave Beneteau in his raggedy ass pants beat him in his UFC debut.

Royce Alger is also one who was super hyped prior to the event and in those days there weren't tons of images when you tried to find them. So you heard all of these comparisons to the great wrestlers who had come into the game recently and he was the next big name to come along and Enson took him out in less than 2 minutes.

Those are not on the scale of some of the others but it's fun to try.

5 days ago
1/1/01
Tmaguru - 

Who is an up and comer with tons of hype that fell short very quickly?

I am a fan of Sage Northcutt but his match making led to a quick drop off.  I remember when

he hit the UFC his physique and charisma led to very decent paydays and for a bit Paige and Sage were

the big prospects.

Sage still has a lot of potential but for sure his train went off the tracks temporarily at least.

I know there are better examples out there, whatcha got?

I felt a lot of people didn't really think Sage was ready for the big stage. If you have to match-make meticulously to make someone a star, then they aren't ready, imo.

Sage was being fed cans, then a journeyman and lost.

To me, Sage always felt like a fitness model that fought as opposed to being a fighter with a fitness model physique.
5 days ago
1/1/01
onepunchJD - 

Sokoudjou comes to mind.

Johnny Walker is Sokoudjou 2.0.

5 days ago
1/1/01
Gartlin - 

Brandon Vera

Jon Jones is what everyone thought Brandon Vera was going to be.