UnderGround Forums What hype train was derailed the fastest?

5 days ago
2/17/03
BJ Penn Forever - 
thenextman -

Renan Barão

Hype trains don't win and defend titles. They don't go 9-0 at the highest levels of the WEC and UFC after going 23-0 in regional shows.

He won the title and defended several times.

Reached the top of the mountain after being undefeated for years.... then he fell off the fucking mountain and into the abyss.

Still, not a hype train at all.

Thought this when I saw someone saying Machida.

5 days ago
2/17/03
ons ear - 
FatBuddha - 

Hard not to mention Askren in this conversation

Askren is way up there..he came in calling out the top dogs in the UFC and then proceeds to pretty much lose 3 fights in a row..he was in and out of the UFC faster than any big name I can think of and his hype train completely derailed..all the trash talk Askren was doing before his first UFC fight only to end up doing as badly as he did was sad

I guess it depends on how long you've been watching his career. To me, you can't say the hype train was derailed after he won titles in the other two major promotions. What he did years after his athletic prime doesn't mean his hype was derailed. Plus, he beat Lawler.

4 days ago
1/1/01

Joe Moreira.

I've been watching old UFCs lately. Watched Ultimate Ultimate 96 and when Varelans/Kimo is happening they talked about Varelans win over Moreira. Coming into UFC 8 on any type of discussion platform he was the favorite coming into the tournament, the next great BJJ black belt fighter. Then the goddamn Polar Bear edges him out.

Kevin Jackson losing to Frank Shamrock as quickly as he did and following up with an armbar loss to Bohlander. No shame in it, I just remember the shock of both of those fights.

4 days ago
3/17/14

To dig a little deeper.

Jason Black was a good hype train to be derailed. Rogan billed him as a living legend and coming UFC his only lossws was a injury lose to Shonie Carter and subbed by Aoki but he has some good wins under his belt but just went winless in the UFC.

4 days ago
3/2/11

Brandon Thatch

4 days ago
4/10/14

Tim Sylvia and his internet skills

4 days ago
10/25/14

George Sotiropoulos was on a great run then lost to Siver and never won another fight

4 days ago
8/2/14
Uriah Hall, looked like a beast on TUF, since then 50/50 fighter.
Volkan Oezdemir A few good knock outs then slipped since then

4 days ago
8/2/14
ChaosOverkill - 

Brandon Thatch

Good Call!

He looked really good at the start, I thought he was going to destroy Henderson!
4 days ago
4/20/08
Long time no ug -

Uriah hall looked like a killer then he looked like he lost the desire to pull the trigger.

Big difference between spin kicking Adam Cella and other lower level regional type fighters faces off vs the UFC level. He still managed to get some big wins, but people wanted to see him fight Andy for the belt after beating up nobodies on TUF, a season he didn't even manage to win. 

4 days ago
3/12/14
BJ Penn Forever -

This is Pico's last fight. He is still going to have a real good MMA career despite what the haters say.

That may be true, but it's not "being a hater" to say the hype train is derailed when you get stiff legged KO'd

4 days ago
9/20/19
jewrad -

Mayhem Miller’s Submission game. It was “light years ahead” of GSP until they actually grappled. That was a quick derailing 

No, that’s just the bullshit narrative all of you bandwagoner mayhem monkey retards bought into. He was never above B level. His mania and self promotion got him to the UFC. It turned out he had no business there. 

4 days ago
1/20/04
Ronda Rousey, Gina Carano, John Lewis.
4 days ago
5/5/13

Makwan Amirkhani

3 days ago
2/3/10

Doo Ho Choi?

3 days ago
7/31/05

Kimbo

3 days ago
1/1/01
MartialArtsMixed - 

Doo Ho Choi?

Superboy? Definitely. People were calling him the future of the division. He's turning into more of a journeyman.
3 days ago
1/1/01
Split Fists - Uriah Hall, looked like a beast on TUF, since then 50/50 fighter.

I don't think anyone seriously thought Volkan was champion material. Though, he could have been a perennial top-5 guy.

Has Volkan ever fought Glover Texiera? Prime Glover is basically Volkan's ceiling, imo.
3 days ago
5/8/13
slaughteringyou -
MrColdCock -

Hype trains are what makes this sport so much fun. A new evolved breed that looks unstoppable, until they don’t. Too many to name, but Vitor has to be the first and still one of the biggest, most dramatic examples of this.

Vitor was a top 10 fighter for 20yrs straight, with the exception of his cage rage stint.

Lol this. And probably one of the scariest UFC run ever.

3 days ago
3/24/15

Duffy

3 days ago
8/26/13

Brock Lesnar went from quickly derailed hype train to unstoppable frate train. Then he got kicked in the cancer. 

Ngannou has been the betting favourite in every fight and is currently a favourite over Stipe (again) DC and Jon Jones. 

3 days ago
5/28/03

I personally saw BAFFLING amount of hype and support behind Melvin Guillard, Jacob Volkman, Antonio McKee and Marcus "Irish" Davis that didnt make any sense given the actual performances they were turning in the UFC.

I think casual fans often fail to realize that winning regional level shows is complely different than when youre being given killers and your manager has little to no ability to get you good opponents.

3 days ago
5/30/15
big_josh -
Gartlin -

Brandon Vera

That's a name that came to my mind too. I was on that hype train. 

Me too! 

3 days ago
8/2/14
Liyon - 
Split Fists - Uriah Hall, looked like a beast on TUF, since then 50/50 fighter.

I don't think anyone seriously thought Volkan was champion material. Though, he could have been a perennial top-5 guy.

Has Volkan ever fought Glover Texiera? Prime Glover is basically Volkan's ceiling, imo.

When Volkan KO’d Cirkunov and Manuwa quick, he started to get some hype, but got exposed by DC.

No I don’t think they have fought yet, but it would be a good fight!
3 days ago
7/8/02
whitesun -
slaughteringyou -
MrColdCock -

Hype trains are what makes this sport so much fun. A new evolved breed that looks unstoppable, until they don’t. Too many to name, but Vitor has to be the first and still one of the biggest, most dramatic examples of this.

Vitor was a top 10 fighter for 20yrs straight, with the exception of his cage rage stint.

Lol this. And probably one of the scariest UFC run ever.

Vitor was hyped as one of the very best ground fighters in the world along with one of the best standup fighters.

That was the definition of a hype train. Nobody could live up to that and Randy ended it in 15 minutes.

Vitor build himself back up and became a great. But he started off as a derailed hype train.