what are the pros and cons?

11 days ago
10/4/03

could encourage stalling if a guy knew he was up

11 days ago
11/18/14

pros

shitty judges are hidden to a limited degree

fighters have an extra game of guessing the scorecard to give them a chance of strategising as required

you may as well keep the crowd in ignorance for a big reveal! sometimes they don't like the scores! lol me and my judging friends think that bit is hilarious!

cons

sometimes you have to arrogantly ignore a well-justified backlash

11 days ago
2/15/11

11 days ago
8/10/05

Judges who are incompetent or on the take can escape before they are identified.

11 days ago
1/1/01

I had this discussion years ago with then Nevada AC ED Keith Kizer, who considered it, and then rejected it. Among the concerns he cited, which ultimately were enough so that he didn't try it, were judges being influenced by the other judges' scores, and fighters not fighting in the case of an accidental foul if they know they are ahead.

11 days ago
5/30/15

judges being influenced by the other judges' scores, and fighters not fighting in the case of an accidental foul if they know they are ahead.

That's the most legit reasoning against showing round scores I've read. I was in favor of it 5 minutes ago. Now I'm not sure again. 

11 days ago
10/3/16

Jones won

11 days ago
7/15/04

Guys in lead will just run away in the final round if they know they are up.

11 days ago
3/28/16

Something people are not taking into account is the effect it would have on announcing the winner. It's high drama when your waiting to hear Bruce Buffer announce And Still or And New. If it was open scoring his job is basically irrelevant, anyone could say who won if everyone already knew the results. 

11 days ago
1/24/16
TexDeuce -

Yes but the fighter that is down would also run after the guy that is up a lot more. It goes both ways. All the other sports have scores before the end result, don't see why you wouldn't at least try it out for a while to see if the concerns are actually legit 

10 days ago
8/23/11
Kirik -

I had this discussion years ago with then Nevada AC ED Keith Kizer, who considered it, and then rejected it. Among the concerns he cited, which ultimately were enough so that he didn't try it, were judges being influenced by the other judges' scores, and fighters not fighting in the case of an accidental foul if they know they are ahead.

interesting... I would think the crowd noise, the corners etc would be influencing the judges just as much as seeing a round score. 
how many fights have fouls in them occurring at a time when a fighter doesn't know if he's ahead or behind. I'm guessing a very small %. 

not enough to outweigh any pro's that would come with showing round scores. 

10 days ago
8/23/11
Gatorkev85 -

Something people are not taking into account is the effect it would have on announcing the winner. It's high drama when your waiting to hear Bruce Buffer announce And Still or And New. If it was open scoring his job is basically irrelevant, anyone could say who won if everyone already knew the results. 

If the fight was close (tied) going into the final round the drama could still be there when announcing 

10 days ago
8/23/11
TexDeuce -

In the final round maybe. But the guy who's down would push the action and the ref has the ability to take points for not engaging. 
It would also make the guy who is down more engaged in earlier rounds. 

if you lost round 1 you need to come out aggressively in round 2. 

10 days ago
11/21/05
androb - 
TexDeuce -

In the final round maybe. But the guy who's down would push the action and the ref has the ability to take points for not engaging. 
It would also make the guy who is down more engaged in earlier rounds. 

if you lost round 1 you need to come out aggressively in round 2. 

Also given that the ref also knows the scores he can officiate better by looking to see if the fighter who is up on points is clearly stalling.
10 days ago
7/22/11

Bad Idea . Example 3 round fight. Its really close fight so in round 3 neither fighter knows the score= they give it all = go for it = exciting fight . However if its close and judges have allready given it to a fighter 10-9 , 10-9 Aint no way tjat fighter is going for it and risking anything = coasting = less interesting fight . Best fights are When Both are going for it. Not When one is playing it safe and the other in panic to try get the KO

10 days ago
7/15/04
dinkledorf -
TexDeuce -

Yes but the fighter that is down would also run after the guy that is up a lot more. It goes both ways. All the other sports have scores before the end result, don't see why you wouldn't at least try it out for a while to see if the concerns are actually legit 

It was already tried in boxing and was a colossal failure that made for worse fights. 

10 days ago
5/15/15

Stalling 100% would happen.

10 days ago
10/27/03
Gartlin - 

judges being influenced by the other judges' scores, and fighters not fighting in the case of an accidental foul if they know they are ahead.

That's the most legit reasoning against showing round scores I've read. I was in favor of it 5 minutes ago. Now I'm not sure again. 

This thread is a rollercoaster of emotions.
10 days ago
10/27/03
moogin83 - 

Stalling 100% would happen.

I haven't watched BJJ for years, but remember at one point tournaments implemented rules where there were no points for the first few minutes?
The noble idea was that it would encourage people to get wild and take risks, knowing that they wouldn't end up down in points, and guys leading on points wouldn't stall.

Instead BOTH opponents just stalled during the no-points period and waited till it finished haha
10 days ago
10/24/03

Because the suspense of waiting for the decision at the end of the fight. If you already know the official score before the announcers do their thing, it's going to be very very anti climactic 

10 days ago
10/24/03

Edited: 9 days ago
6/14/19

Just do away with judging.

All fights are five rounders. No finish equals a draw.

Want to win the title. Get the finish. That's essentially the only way to win the title now. So just make it official and do away with the illusion of impartial judging.

9 days ago
2/1/07

Crowd reaction to a score could influence a judges objectivity. 

9 days ago
10/30/14
MagnumBill -

Crowd reaction to a score could influence a judges objectivity. 

Crowd reaction can already do that. In Brazil for example.