UnderGround Forums What is the best pure performance ever?

14 days ago
10/27/03

Sonnen trash talking on behalf of Okami in the lead up to his Silva fight.

Pure performance art right there.

14 days ago
2/29/16
chupecabre - How about Anderson vs Leben

I already mentioned it, hambay.

14 days ago
2/20/09

Belcher vs Paul Harris.

I remember it hitting the ground early and being 100% certain that Allan was done.

Talk about an edge of your seat spectacle.  If entering into the sport as a kickboxer and then beating one of the scariest submission guys ever isn’t a magnificent performance, I don’t know what is.

14 days ago
6/27/18
donkypunch55 - 

Belcher vs Paul Harris.

I remember it hitting the ground early and being 100% certain that Allan was done.

Talk about an edge of your seat spectacle.  If entering into the sport as a kickboxer and then beating one of the scariest submission guys ever isn’t a magnificent performance, I don’t know what is.

Kind of disingenuous to call Belcher a kickboxer. He trained a ton of jiu-jitsu specifically to deal with Palhares.

He's a BJJ black belt for close to nine years now, even has a leg lock instructional website.

14 days ago
5/14/11

There are many, but I have a soft spot for palhares vs belcher

14 days ago
3/17/14

Jones vs Shogun

Machida vs Rashad 

Holly vs Rousey

14 days ago
3/17/14

Aldo vs Faber

14 days ago
2/20/09
TequilaYuen -
donkypunch55 - 

Belcher vs Paul Harris.

Kind of disingenuous to call Belcher a kickboxer. He trained a ton of jiu-jitsu specifically to deal with Palhares.

He's a BJJ black belt for close to nine years now, even has a leg lock instructional website.

For sure, I’m not denying any of that or disparaging his skill level.

I’m just saying that at the time, there wasn’t anyone who pictured that fight going like that.

Edited: 14 days ago
9/24/12

Jones v Shogun had to be the most perfect destruction of a champion by a fucking kid I've ever seen. Jones was only 23 for fuck's sake.

14 days ago
4/16/15

Anderson Silva vs anybody for like 5 years 

14 days ago
6/27/18
Ojsblackglove - 

Anderson vs Demian Maia?

Anderson vs Thales Leites?

How soon we forget

Edited: 14 days ago
1/1/01

Igo Vovchenkin had a stretch prior to Pride and then for a few years in Pride where he fought way above his weight class but still dominated because of his heart and fight IQ.

In fact, if you go back to UFC 8, which was the David v. Goliath show, all of the little guys won.  I have always felt the assumption that heavier fighters would dominate lighter fighters just because of the weight difference is without real merit.  Great fighter are great no matter which weight class they fight in.  Sakuraba, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, DC, Conor, etc. have shown they can be competitive at any weight class. 

Someday I hope they have an open weight tournament of champions... until then I will have to settle for bathtub time with my action figures.

14 days ago
5/19/17

Couture vs sylvia? Based on randy being 100 years old and sylvia twice his size

14 days ago
7/16/13
ConorWinsTheRematch -
bootysweat -
Samoa -

This. 

Shit, it’s hard to choose between Silva’s destruction of Leben, Franklin, and Griffin... all three were pretty flawless

And All 3 against subpar opponents. How convenient that those were the only times Anderson looked "good." that only further shows how over rated Anderson truly was. The first time he started fighting fundamentally sound disciplined technical strikers he started getting outclassed (Weidman and Bisping)

In fact, I nominate Chonan over Anderson and Weidman over Anderson as real pure dominant performances:)

Lol at that irrational hate. Griffin and Franklin are subpar? They were both title holders 

14 days ago
12/7/18
T?bikan J?dan -
ConorWinsTheRematch -
bootysweat -
Samoa -

This. 

Shit, it’s hard to choose between Silva’s destruction of Leben, Franklin, and Griffin... all three were pretty flawless

And All 3 against subpar opponents. How convenient that those were the only times Anderson looked "good." that only further shows how over rated Anderson truly was. The first time he started fighting fundamentally sound disciplined technical strikers he started getting outclassed (Weidman and Bisping)

In fact, I nominate Chonan over Anderson and Weidman over Anderson as real pure dominant performances:)

Lol at that irrational hate. Griffin and Franklin are subpar? They were both title holders 

I take it you didnt ready my first post in this thread. Not only was Forrest a gift stylistic match up, Forrest was KOd the week before the fight in sparring, and was drugged up on xanax. It was literally as much of a fixed fight/fixed outcome, as you can get. That fight holds no relevance or bearing. Franklin was a great fighter but also a gift match up for Anderson. The rematch was much more competitive then the 1st fight too

14 days ago
1/24/16
MattBFD -

I will always remember Masvidal/Diaz as a spectacular performance and more importantly as a fight that was supposed to be close that wasn’t at all.

MattBFD - I will always remember that you know nothing about MMA 

14 days ago
7/16/13
ConorWinsTheRematch -
T?bikan J?dan -
ConorWinsTheRematch -
bootysweat -
Samoa -

This. 

I take it you didnt ready my first post in this thread. Not only was Forrest a gift stylistic match up, Forrest was KOd the week before the fight in sparring, and was drugged up on xanax. It was literally as much of a fixed fight/fixed outcome, as you can get. That fight holds no relevance or bearing. Franklin was a great fighter but also a gift match up for Anderson. The rematch was much more competitive then the 1st fight too

I think you're focusing on the context of the fight too much instead of the performance itself. Being a favorable matchup would make a perfect performance more likely.

14 days ago
1/24/16
TequilaYuen -
Ojsblackglove - 

Anderson vs Demian Maia?

Anderson vs Thales Leites?

How soon we forget

Both guys NEVER stood a chance. Not crowd pleasing and uncle fister didn't like it but they were great performances imo 

14 days ago
9/11/14
Brock vs. everyone. Cause Brock is all natty.
14 days ago
2/17/03
Considering the quality of the competition with the dominance of the win:

-Conor v. Eddie.
-Randy v. Chuck 1.
-TJ v. Barao and Lineker.
-Cody v. Cruz.
-Fedor v. Mirko and Nog 1 & 3.
-Holm v. Rousey.
-BJ v. Hughes.
-Maia v. Sonnen.
-Jones v. DC 2 (close fight, but the DC that came that night might have been the second best fighter we've ever seen and Jones finished him).
14 days ago
2/17/03
wiggum - Considering the quality of the competition with the dominance of the win:

-Conor v. Eddie.
-Randy v. Chuck 1.
-Cody v. Cruz.
-Holm v. Rousey.
-BJ v. Hughes.
-Maia v. Sonnen.
-Jones v. DC 2 (close fight, but the DC that came that night might have been the second best fighter we've ever seen and Jones finished him).

Adding:

-Cejudo v. TJ
-Shogun v. Rampage
-Anderson v. Hendo
14 days ago
1/1/01
wiggum - Considering the quality of the competition with the dominance of the win:

-Conor v. Eddie.
-Randy v. Chuck 1.
-Cody v. Cruz.
-Holm v. Rousey.
-BJ v. Hughes.
-Maia v. Sonnen.

Penn v Hughes 1 is a good one. Forgot that. 

14 days ago
2/17/03
wiggum - 
wiggum - Considering the quality of the competition with the dominance of the win:

-Conor v. Eddie.
-Randy v. Chuck 1.
-Cody v. Cruz.
-Holm v. Rousey.
-BJ v. Hughes.
-Maia v. Sonnen.

Adding:

-Cejudo v. TJ
-Shogun v. Rampage
-Anderson v. Hendo

Forgot GSP.

GSP v. Bisping, Hughes 2 & 3, Serra 2, Koscheck 2.
14 days ago
6/16/07

Anderson vs Forrest. 

14 days ago
1/1/01
Nick Diaz still GOAT -

Anderson vs Forrest. 

That was a work CWTR has informed us all.