UnderGround Forums What is the best pure performance ever?

15 days ago
8/6/06
Easters -
ConorWinsTheRematch -

I will say that Anderson was a very interesting fighter. I dont think I've ever seen a fighter who's been dominated as many times as they have dominated others. statistically, Anderson would either win big or lose big. Anderson was the epitome of match making. He looked great against gift match ups, and awful against bad stylistic match ups. There has never been a fighter in history who was as dependent on match making as Anderson was. 

He beat wrestlers (hendo, sonnen) BJJ guys (Lutter, Maia), strikers (Belfor, Franklin).  Not sure what you’re talking about

He's talking about complete bullshit.

15 days ago
8/9/19

Conor v Alvarez

Nunes v Rousey

Rewatch R4 Holloway v Ortega. Ortega actually hit him a fair bit but the damage was already done.

15 days ago
4/26/13
ConorWinsTheRematch -
Easters -
ConorWinsTheRematch -

I will say that Anderson was a very interesting fighter. I dont think I've ever seen a fighter who's been dominated as many times as they have dominated others. statistically, Anderson would either win big or lose big. Anderson was the epitome of match making. He looked great against gift match ups, and awful against bad stylistic match ups. There has never been a fighter in history who was as dependent on match making as Anderson was. 

He didn’t duck anybody in his weight class during his reign.  He was completely dominant until the first Weidman fight.  The game just passed him by and Father Time got him.  He beat the best in front of him for a long ass time 

Anderson fanboys are the worst. Anderson was not dominant against Cote, Lietes, and Maia. Like I said, Anderson's "greatest performances" were all the result of "generous match making." Leben, Franklin, Forrest, Irvin, Hendo. These were absolute GIFT match ups to make Anderson look good.

Like I said, Anderson is the only fighter I've ever seen who depended so much on match making. In 1 fight Anderson could look amazing against a hand picked Bonnar. Yet in his very next fight, against a disciplined striker in Weidman, he gets humiliated.

Anderson can look amazing against a short stocky 1 dimensional wrestler in Hendo who only had a right hand. Yet then almost get shut out, in what wouldve been the most lopsided decision MMA history, by a better striking wrestler in Sonnen, who actually used his jabhand, and set up not only his rear hand, but his takedowns

Everyone use to thrash Bisping, and yet Bisping OUTCLASSED Anderson simply by fienting Anderson out of his timing, and working behind his jab, and double jabbing.

Everything I said was a fact that can not be logically disputed. Anderson fanboys are no better then Fedor fans who use to claim that Fedor mysteriously became "finished"  the instant he stated struggling 

He was dominant against those guys.  He literally had Maia spinning in circles with leg kicks.  The fights just sucked.  Chael had 4 good rounds agains an injured Anderson and remember who won the rematch?  Like I said, I was talking about Anderson’s title reign.  He’s been a completely different fighter since the Weidman fight, cuz he’s well over 40.  

Watching prime Anderson live was the best of MMA for me

15 days ago
2/17/03
McGoat - 
wiggum -
slicedcity - 
wiggum -
wiggum - 
wiggum - Considering the quality of the competition with the dominance of the win:

-Conor v. Eddie.
-Randy v. Chuck 1.
-TJ v. Barao and Lineker.
-Cody v. Cruz.
-Fedor v. Mirko and Nog 1 & 3.
-Holm v. Rousey.
-BJ v. Hughes.
-Maia v. Sonnen.
-Jones v. DC 2 (close fight, but the DC that came that night might have been the second best fighter we've ever seen and Jones finished him).

Adding:

-Cejudo v. TJ
-Shogun v. Rampage
-Anderson v. Hendo

Forgot GSP.

GSP v. Bisping, Hughes 2 & 3, Serra 2, Koscheck 2.

Don’t think people understand the question, it’s best pure performance

If memory serves me correct GSP was getting sliced up by elbows from the bottom and he looked like he was gassing right before he knocked bisping down and choked him out 

I understand the question.

Unless OP was asking for most DOMINANT performances, I continue to believe that GSP v. Bisping belongs on the list. Bisping was the bigger man, and he is a real MFer. GSP won the first two rounds and got the finish in the third. That's more than enough for me.

Best pure performance just means a clear outclassing of opponent on that night. Pure use of skills and gameplan. 

Whoever said Cody vs Cruz nailed it

You're OP, so, I guess you can define the criteria. But, it sounds like you're asking for the most dominant performance.

Jon Jones dominated and outclassed Rampage. But his performance against DC should be held in much higher regard.

Cruz v. Cody is such a great one because Cruz is so damn good.
15 days ago
2/17/03
Easters - 
ConorWinsTheRematch -

He beat wrestlers (hendo, sonnen) BJJ guys (Lutter, Maia), strikers (Belfor, Franklin).  Not sure what you’re talking about

Yup. The Hendo win will always be his most impressive, IMO.
Edited: 15 days ago
1/1/01
ConorWinsTheRematch -
Samoa -
ConorWinsTheRematch -

Yet he had one of the most dominant runs in UFC history. I don’t agree with your point but if it’s true it makes his run even more impressive. His prime was paralleled by only GSP and Jon Jones. 

Weakest division in MMA history and generous match making go a long way. Weidman was the first time ever Anderson stepped up against a genuinely tough match up on paper 

Silva’s career translates to belts at WW and MW and beating a former champ at LHW. His power and dominance is paralleled only by two others in the UFC.

The list for GOAT discussions has 4 fighters in it. Anderson is one of them. 

15 days ago
4/18/09

The literal only two right answers are BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez and George Saint Pierre vs. BJ Penn II

15 days ago
3/26/13
Samoa -
ConorWinsTheRematch -
Samoa -
ConorWinsTheRematch -

Yet he had one of the most dominant runs in UFC history. I don’t agree with your point but if it’s true it makes his run even more impressive. His prime was paralleled by only GSP and Jon Jones. 

Weakest division in MMA history and generous match making go a long way. Weidman was the first time ever Anderson stepped up against a genuinely tough match up on paper 

Silva’s career translates to belts at WW and MW and beating a former champ at LHW. His power and dominance is paralleled only by two others in the UFC.

Who else is on the list?

15 days ago
1/1/01
nek -
Samoa -
ConorWinsTheRematch -
Samoa -
ConorWinsTheRematch -

Who else is on the list?

GSP, Fedor, Anderson and Jon Jones. 

Henderson could be in the discussion but imo gets eliminated fairly quickly. Fedor is my favorite out of the remaining four but again imo gets eliminated next. 

If steroids eliminates a fighter in people’s opinion then the list is one. 

15 days ago
1/23/06

15 days ago
2/9/14

Maybe im not understand what the thread is actually wanting. But my initial thought was Shogun v machida 1. 

It was 2 guys who were poster boys for their styles going head to head.   Either could have been knocked out at any moment.   The technics and strategies they employed were fascinating to watch and I believe, especially at the time that was about the most high level striking chess match we've ever seen in mma. 

15 days ago
10/5/12
ConorWinsTheRematch -

What about Conor? He was only good when given favorable matchups. When he was cutting a ton of weight he looked great. When he fought a guy his size he tapped quickly and like he had early in his career and made excuses about the guy being too large when he had called everyone midgets in his previous weight class. He then went on to look good against a past his prime Alvarez and was gifted a decision in a rematch of his last loss where he literally ran away for 2 rounds out of terror. He was finished by a smaller man in boxing even though he cheated often, and still tried to make excuses. Finally he was completely dominated by a wrestler his size even though Conor was allowed to cheat repeatedly and even made his previous fight trash talk meaningless by saying "it's just business" when he was being outclassed by a man who Conor had trolled for months. 

15 days ago
6/16/07
Samoa -
nek -
Samoa -
ConorWinsTheRematch -
Samoa -
ConorWinsTheRematch -

Who else is on the list?

GSP, Fedor, Anderson and Jon Jones. 

Henderson could be in the discussion but imo gets eliminated fairly quickly. Fedor is my favorite out of the remaining four but again imo gets eliminated next. 

If steroids eliminates a fighter in people’s opinion then the list is one. 

It's down to gsp imo, Nick was more fun though. 

15 days ago
5/22/15
Nick Diaz v Frank Shamrock.
15 days ago
5/22/15
LBH_RN - 

Masvidal vs Askren 

Might as well add how CRE thought it would go down.
15 days ago
5/3/09

Brock vs Couture was a noob winning against a 20-year veteran so that should probably be it IMHO

14 days ago
3/18/14

How people forget. Some of mighty mouse's wins were flawless. The most well rounded fighter of all time. 

Jon Jones making shogun tap to strikes

14 days ago
3/26/13
rudiger -

How people forget. Some of mighty mouse's wins were flawless. The most well rounded fighter of all time. 

Jon Jones making shogun tap to strikes

Mighty Mouse was my vote.  Not only does he look great in all three facets (striking, wrestling, groundfighting) but he transistions seamlessly between them and utilizes one to set up the other so well.  He's a true "mixed" martial artist.

14 days ago
2/29/16
tapi -

Brock vs Couture was a noob winning against a 20-year veteran so that should probably be it IMHO

Brock was the favorite in that fight.

Wasn't pretty either. Randy put Brock up against the cage at one point.

14 days ago
1/8/15

Haven't seen it so far, but Khabib v Edson?

14 days ago
1/12/15

GSP vs Hughes II

Gustafson vs Texiera

Couture vs Sylvia

Aldo vs Faber

10 days ago
12/23/11
cawkgobbler -
ConorWinsTheRematch -

What about Conor? He was only good when given favorable matchups. When he was cutting a ton of weight he looked great. When he fought a guy his size he tapped quickly and like he had early in his career and made excuses about the guy being too large when he had called everyone midgets in his previous weight class. He then went on to look good against a past his prime Alvarez and was gifted a decision in a rematch of his last loss where he literally ran away for 2 rounds out of terror. He was finished by a smaller man in boxing even though he cheated often, and still tried to make excuses. Finally he was completely dominated by a wrestler his size even though Conor was allowed to cheat repeatedly and even made his previous fight trash talk meaningless by saying "it's just business" when he was being outclassed by a man who Conor had trolled for months. 

The selective recalling of events here is outstanding. Calling Eddie Alvarez 'past his prime' when he had just beaten RDA and would then go on to beat Justin Gaethje is priceless. Also, calling Eddie a favourable match up is nonsense. At the time many people were predicting Eddie to win. 

Beaten by a smaller man in boxing. Fuck me. You are taking about Money Mayweather. One of best boxers of all time!

Dominated by a wrestler his size. Fuck me. You are talking about Khabib. One of the best MMA fighters of all time! 

10 days ago
1/16/18
shady lane -
cawkgobbler -
ConorWinsTheRematch -

The selective recalling of events here is outstanding. Calling Eddie Alvarez 'past his prime' when he had just beaten RDA and would then go on to beat Justin Gaethje is priceless. Also, calling Eddie a favourable match up is nonsense. At the time many people were predicting Eddie to win. 

Beaten by a smaller man in boxing. Fuck me. You are taking about Money Mayweather. One of best boxers of all time!

Dominated by a wrestler his size. Fuck me. You are talking about Khabib. One of the best MMA fighters of all time! 

People were claiming Eddie was going to embarrass Conor, how people forget. 

10 days ago
2/17/03
shady lane - 
cawkgobbler -
ConorWinsTheRematch -

Conor's win over Eddie is legitimately one of the best performances ever. Eddie was never a world beater at LW, but he was an all-time great. Conor didn't just beat him, he destroyed him.

Conor's legacy at 145 shouldn't be diminished because he cuts weight. That's a ridiculous position held by people who don't understand how weight classes work.
10 days ago
2/28/13

Who did Guillard beat the piss out of when they were almost at a title shot? I remember that being a beauty