UnderGround Forums What were you into before MMA?

16 days ago
12/24/19

action man! I was like 8 when I started watching mma. joys of a big brother

16 days ago
1/1/01

I got into tape trading back in the 1990's, and I remember seeing the Japanese UWF and UWFi for the first time, and being blown away.

This was actually AFTER I had already gotten into the UFC though.

16 days ago
10/10/18

Boxing, Football & Death Metal.

Now it's MMA & Death Metal.

15 days ago
1/1/01

I still watch boxing sometimes, but my interest in boxing did waver after I got into MMA, and especially after I started watching K-1 tapes from Japan.

15 days ago
9/24/18

Watched WWF/E religiously up until 2003 then MMA took over. I still watch wrestling a little now but MMA is definitely #1. Obviously wrestling today isn’t what it used to be either. 

15 days ago
9/26/02

WWF was all the rage back in the day.

15 days ago
1/1/01

My first exposure to pro wrestling was NWA Georgia Championship Wrestling. I did not see WWF until several years later, which was around the time Hulk Hogan first won the WWF title from The Iron Sheik.

15 days ago
1/1/01

wrestling..boxing...pro wrestling all sports, then MMA took over but still fololow all sports

15 days ago
1/1/01

"My first exposure to pro wrestling was NWA Georgia Championship Wrestling. I did not see WWF until several years later, which was around the time Hulk Hogan first won the WWF title from The Iron Sheik."

I already did know who Hulk Hogan and The Iron Sheik were, because I'd seen both of them in the NWA, and I had also seen Hulk Hogan in as Thunderlips in Rocky III. I had just had never heard of the WWF before. I thought that the National Wrestling Alliance was the only promotion. After I found out about the WWF, I found out about the AWA, and etc...

When I first saw the UFC in 1994, I did not know that there were any other MMA promotions, but then I remember finding out about Pancrase in Japan, and then there was Extreme Fighting, and etc...

15 days ago
7/29/19

Waterpolo until I tore my labrum in my throwing shoulder - then BJJ.

14 days ago
1/1/01

ttt

14 days ago
11/24/13

G.

Dragon Ball Z, lol.

14 days ago
6/6/04
Being from Texas and you don’t mention Demetrius Havanas? I question your legitimacy as a texican

Didnt think most people would be familiar with Demetrious Havanas.....

DEMETRIOUS " GREEK " HAVANAS was a Dallas , Texas World champion Kickboxer who died in a plane crash returning from an event in New York I think it was.

I visited his Texas Karate School in Greenville Av. and he had a full boxing ring in his school in the back. Some of his students and contemporaries on the Texas Karate scene included Ray McCallaum, Ishmael Robles, Troy Dorsey and Tim Kirby
13 days ago
7/3/06
TMA & WWE

I remember watch those ISKA martial arts competitions on ESPN where they would do weapons katas.

And I stopped watching WWE after guys like stone cold and the rock retired.

Thankfully TUF1 started around that time & it was a wrap after that.
13 days ago
7/3/06
Nytron - 

G.

Dragon Ball Z, lol.

Ahh yesss I was huge into DBZ back in the day. Every couple of years I’d watch all the sagas start to finish. Memories...
13 days ago
1/1/01

Maybe I should have mentioned hand-to-hand combat oriented video games as well.

I used to like playing the following:

Karate Champ

Mortal Combat

Street Fighter

Mike Tyson's Punch Out

13 days ago
1/1/01

Oh, and of course pro wrestling video games.

I remember a video arcade pro wrestling game that came out in the 1980's that was pretty cool. I can't recall the name of it, but it did not have any actual known pro wrestlers in it, but it had characters in the game that were sort of like some established pro wrestlers. I recall there being a character that was kind of cross between Hulk Hogan and Bruiser Brody. Anyone remember the name of this video game.

There was also a WWF video arcade game, there may have been more than one of them.

I remember in the late 1990's, this would have been 1997 or 1998, there was a really cool video game that came out which I think was WCW vs the World, but there was a Japanese version of the game that was actually better than the American version of the game. I had a friend who ordered the game from Japan, so I got to play it. The game included a lot of WCW and New Japan Pro Wrestling wrestlers from that time period, but they also had these special character that were similar to some wrestlers, or MMA fighters, who were not a part of WCW or New Japan Pro Wrestling. They were under different names than the names they are known as or their real names, but it was not hard to figure out who they were supposed to be. I recall one being like Rickson Gracie, another one being like Ken Shamrock, and another one being like Volk Han (from RINGS), and there were others. Anyone out there familiar with this game?

13 days ago
1/1/01
A,C,D with a little bit of B
13 days ago
1/1/01

Mixed martial arts (Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Hapkido from age 3 to 18, then Thai boxing, Wing Chun, Kali, Jun Fan/JKD Kickboxing in college when the first UFCs were just starting).

12 days ago
1/1/01

ttt

11 days ago
1/1/01

ttt

10 days ago
10/6/02
surfing
10 days ago
2/4/06

Ug - "girls" 

10 days ago
7/21/18

Pro wrestling when I was a kid, probably stopped viewing around 2000. Boxing before MMA 

Edited: 7 days ago
1/1/01

I am surprised that more amateur wrestling enthusiasts have not weighed in yet.