UnderGround Forums When American Wrestling met BJJ (Rolls Gracie)

2/12/20 10:40 AM
1/1/01
MickColins -
de braco -

Interesting he says it was Carlson and rolls as opposed to Robson and rolls who picked him up at the airport 

Carlson Jr wrestled. He was on the Brazilian Pan Ams Greco-Roman team. The idea that the Carlos side of the aisle was anti-wrestling has always been bullpoop.

No shit? God damn! You must be a fucking investigative reporter, I've only heard that a few times starting with the few hundred times perretti mentioned it on the inaugural extreme fighting ppv. The thing is, it's Robson that's mentioned in practically every other account as being with rolls at the airport, including previous versions from Anderson himself . So run down those leads, kolchak, and get back to us

2/12/20 1:22 PM
1/1/01
Animal Mother -
cheesesteak -

Ttt for anyone at Renzos. Please show Renzo, Rolles or Igor please.

They know and Rolles is in contact with him. 

That's awesome. 

2/13/20 11:36 AM
7/14/08
de braco -
MickColins -
de braco -

Interesting he says it was Carlson and rolls as opposed to Robson and rolls who picked him up at the airport 

Carlson Jr wrestled. He was on the Brazilian Pan Ams Greco-Roman team. The idea that the Carlos side of the aisle was anti-wrestling has always been bullpoop.

No shit? God damn! You must be a fucking investigative reporter, I've only heard that a few times starting with the few hundred times perretti mentioned it on the inaugural extreme fighting ppv. The thing is, it's Robson that's mentioned in practically every other account as being with rolls at the airport, including previous versions from Anderson himself . So run down those leads, kolchak, and get back to us

That wasn't meant to poopoo you, good sir. Just a frequent comment I always see floated. 

2/13/20 12:26 PM
1/1/01

LOL. I'll never forget when you gave that zombie in the junkyard the what for. That spooky cock knocker found out he wasn't as smart as he thought he was, staggering around trying to scare people with his psychotic imagery 

2/16/20 9:53 PM
1/1/01

Anderson recounts the story in "The Gracie Way"

Bob Anderson Goes to Brazil

In 1978 a friendship began that transformed the possibilities of Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Wrestling coach Bob Anderson was sent to Brazil by FILA (The World Wrestling Organization) as part of a program to develop wrestling programs in Brazil with the Brazilian Wrestling Federation. Anderson who has coached Olympic gold medalist Rulon Gardner and stars like Dan Henderson, Randy Couture, and Darrell Gohlars—was one of the leading coaches in the world at the time. Anderson was then living in San Clemente, California, and was a surfer, so naturally, he took his surfboard and all his gear to Brazil. When he arrived in Rio de Janeiro at the airport, no one was there from the Brazilian Wrestling Federation to pick him up. Anderson then made a few phone calls, and somehow, though they weren't associated with the federation, after two hours it was Rolls and Robson Gracie who showed up to pick him up.

"I assumed they were the wrestling people that were supposed to be there in the first place," says Bob. "They were very nice and took me with surfboards and everything." Rolls took Anderson to his house and showed him around. Rolls didn't mention that he wasn't a member of the federation and Anderson continued under the impression that the two Gracies were officials from it. At first Rolls took Anderson to his academy every day and introduced him to his students. Anderson thought that perhaps in Brazil it was their custom to wrestle in jackets and just went about his teaching, absorbing the new culture. After about a week Anderson started to question Rolls about it. Eventually Rolls confessed, "You know, we aren't with the federation. I just wanted to learn wrestling. We don't get along with them anyway—you know our jiu-jitsu school is better; by then Anderson had developed a close relationship with Rolls and didn't care, he just wanted to help. Anderson spent three weeks living with Rolls and going to the academy every day. Rolls would take Anderson surfing, and tried to get him to hang glide, but Anderson refused."

2/16/20 10:05 PM
12/17/10

In for later 

2/16/20 10:26 PM
3/16/15
de braco - 

In 1978 a friendship began that transformed the possibilities of Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Wrestling coach Bob Anderson was sent to Brazil by FILA (The World Wrestling Organization) as part of a program to develop wrestling programs in Brazil with the Brazilian Wrestling Federation. Anderson who has coached Olympic gold medalist Rulon Gardner and stars like Dan Henderson, Randy Couture, and Darrell Gohlars—was one of the leading coaches in the world at the time. Anderson was then living in San Clemente, California, and was a surfer, so naturally, he took his surfboard and all his gear to Brazil. When he arrived in Rio de Janeiro at the airport, no one was there from the Brazilian Wrestling Federation to pick him up. Anderson then made a few phone calls, and somehow, though they weren't associated with the federation, after two hours it was Rolls and Robson Gracie who showed up to pick him up.

"I assumed they were the wrestling people that were supposed to be there in the first place," says Bob. "They were very nice and took me with surfboards and everything." Rolls took Anderson to his house and showed him around. Rolls didn't mention that he wasn't a member of the federation and Anderson continued under the impression that the two Gracies were officials from it. At first Rolls took Anderson to his academy every day and introduced him to his students. Anderson thought that perhaps in Brazil it was their custom to wrestle in jackets and just went about his teaching, absorbing the new culture. After about a week Anderson started to question Rolls about it. Eventually Rolls confessed, "You know, we aren't with the federation. I just wanted to learn wrestling. We don't get along with them anyway—you know our jiu-jitsu school is better; by then Anderson had developed a close relationship with Rolls and didn't care, he just wanted to help. Anderson spent three weeks living with Rolls and going to the academy every day. Rolls would take Anderson surfing, and tried to get him to hang glide, but Anderson refused."

Well, that mention of Robson was not a quote from Bob Anderson.
Edited: 2/16/20 11:02 PM
1/1/01

Indeed it is, as told to gerry costa

2/16/20 11:38 PM
3/15/15
Of course, it is all nonsense, of course they knew Ude Garame, and it had been in use in Vale Tudo and BJJ decades prior.But perhaps he helped give a variation or something. He didn't teach them a previously unknown submission they never trained before. It is standard in Judo at white belt.
2/17/20 4:20 AM
9/9/06

L8er

2/17/20 9:03 AM
7/10/15

i guess what really bothered me about all this, was that Rolls refused to start standing. Why do that Gracies always have to set things to their way?

2/17/20 1:38 PM
12/9/02

wow great video

2/17/20 1:59 PM
9/14/19
Bukabuki -

American wrestling has been kicking jiu jitsu ass for over 100 years.

Lmao 

Wrestling alone has no chance against BJJ and EVERYONE knows it 

2/17/20 4:31 PM
3/16/15
de braco - 

Indeed it is, as told to gerry costa

Strange, I do not see any quotation marks from Bob Anderson. Can you please point them out? Thanks
2/17/20 7:33 PM
1/1/01

You stupid motherfucker bob told the story to the author. He’s the source of the story, you retarded cock sucker. You’re the kind of retard that it’d be a pleasure to put 450 grains of lead between your eyes

Edited: 2/19/20 11:46 AM
1/1/01

Steppa

Edited: 2/19/20 11:47 AM
1/1/01

2/19/20 1:20 PM
3/16/15
de braco - 

You stupid motherfucker bob told the story to the author. He’s the source of the story, you retarded cock sucker. You’re the kind of retard that it’d be a pleasure to put 450 grains of lead between your eyes

Strange, I see quotes from Bob, but that is not one of them. The author did not attribute them to Bob.

I guess the video that I posted that has Bob speaking is innacurate.

I wish I was smart like you.
2/19/20 1:40 PM
5/14/08
de braco - 

It would be a pleasure for you to kill someone who disagree with you about a quote? Classy

2/19/20 2:50 PM
1/1/01

you just made the list

2/19/20 3:27 PM
7/14/08
de braco -

Not going hang gliding with Rolls was a good call by Bob.

2/19/20 5:41 PM
7/20/04
Great to hear this story
2/23/20 12:18 AM
12/27/06
Bob Anderson was head coach of the California Jets and his assistant coach transplanted the Club to Florida where it is a national powerhouse the Florida Jets pumping out cadet,Jr, University, and Sr National Champions in Greco Roman Wrestling... Story is true and Bob Anderson was a monster even into his 60s...
2/23/20 1:01 AM
1/1/01
Great video.
2/23/20 2:00 AM
9/8/02

Wonderful story, great history, by all accounts Rolls was the real deal. No doubting that. Flies to California and wins the Pan American games on like zero notice LOL