UnderGround Forums Who Masvidal wants next 'is a no-brainer'

25 days ago
1/1/01

Jorge Masvidal appeared recently on The Ariel Helwani MMA Show and was asked who he wants to fight next. after losing to welterweight champion Kamaru Usman at UFC 251 on Saturday night.

“It’s a no-brainer,” replied Masvidal. “Could they offer me bigger names that pay me more money? Yes. For a fact. But if it’s up to me, Usman. For me stepping up on six days’ notice when no one else would. Because no one else would. A lot of people are saying that they would, but who else did it? Ask Dana. Who else was actually like, ‘Hey, Masvidal didn’t do it, I’ll do it. I’m right here.’ So, if it’s up to me Usman right away. I don’t care if they can offer me a bigger fight or not, I would like to fight Usman.”

“You could tell me McGregor right now and will pay me X, Y, Z dollars: ‘The biggest pay-per-view event in history. I feel I get compensated well enough now that I keep making the right decisions I’ve been doing, then this money is forever money. So it’s not about money. It’s about I want that damn belt and I’m stubborn and I know I’m better than Usman and I want to prove it. I want to fight again. I’m not going to take nothing from him. He won the first one. Let’s do it again and that’s it. Then after that then whatever comes next after that. But Usman’s the thing I want the most. The immediate rematch with Usman.”

“Obviously I wasn’t at my best. When I got the call on six days I was on more in the gym on a general condition. I was running, I was lifting weights. I wasn’t on the mats three, four times a week but my general priority was to get in better shape. More long distance running and things like that. When I got the call we started training specifically for the fight and I did the best I can. But I don’t want to make no excuses, I don’t want to take nothing away from Usman because even me on six days’ notice, fighting the world champion, I am a dangerous animal.

“I am a effing tiger at all times and I think you say that. It was a battle for real estate and he won on the real estate more often than not. He was able to take me to his side of the world and keep me there. I don’t want to take nothing from him. We’ll leave it up to the rematch. I’ll let my actions speak louder than my words.”

h/t MMA Junkie

25 days ago
9/8/11

His scrambles and takedown defense were impressive for 6 days notice BUT I think the same thing happens again if they run it back.

There promos would be better and I'd probably fall for the hype again sooo I'm in. 

25 days ago
8/26/11

Mas got dominated. Go back to work journeyman.

25 days ago
1/1/01

It takes 2 to Tango,  Snoozman just wants to wall and foot stomp

25 days ago
8/26/11
Tim Duncan -

It takes 2 to Tango,  Snoozman just wants to wall and foot stomp

It was Mas's job to not let him knucklehead 

24 days ago
1/1/01

im a big fan but Masdival needs another win or 2 for rematch.He should fight Edwards

24 days ago
9/17/11
Kimbos Lice -

Dominated!? lol Kamaru "Decision" Usman hugged him to death and played footsie for 5 rds. He couldn't even cause any damege except by headbutting him. You proud of your boy's performance going 5 rds. with a guy on 6 days notice. GTFO and I'm not even a Masvidal fan. That shit was terrible.

24 days ago
7/14/17
Kimbos Lice -

What? Dominated? Are you serious? What fight did you watch? 

He in no way got dominated. He clearly lost. No domination whatsoever 

24 days ago
8/15/15
Kimbos Lice -

Dominated. Usman did no damage. He literally pushed him up against the fence and put his weight on him. “But he did it all 5 rounds and Mas couldn’t stop it”. Ok. Duh. But he’s a Champ and he had zero drive to get a finish. He was so scared of Mas that he HAD to restrain him for 5 rounds. Usman will not carry cards, he has zero excitability. That’s why he has yet to say shit about his win. Even he’s not excited about it. Knows it’s nothing to brag about. And against a guy who came off the couch 6 days prior. Please. Usman is like barely good at what he does too. Full camp and Mas embarrasses this scared champ.

24 days ago
10/15/15

mas say's he's not gonna make any excuses. then goes on to make 47 excuses.

mas could train for a year and usman would still beat him. in fact mas was training 

his butt off in case he fought. ask dustin. he sparred with him plenty and had high level

wrestlers coming in to train just for him. mas needs to give up on the excuses and lies.

oh yeah. he would fight conor in a second over usman if he was offered that fight.

Edited: 24 days ago
11/24/13

Usman landed an insane amount of body shots throughout the fight, many of them POWER shots. See here for justa FEW of the MANY shots: https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/UnderGround/UFC-251-in-Gifs-any-Gif-Requests:2835403

Zuffa needs to use Mas to lure Nick Diaz outta retirement.

24 days ago
8/26/11

Masvidal has a fanbase full of bitches. Lol at everyone complaining Usman hugged him and stepped on his toes. Masvidal loses 10-10 to Usman. The dude is a hyped journeyman who hasn't put together 4 consecutive wins in 12 years.

24 days ago
8/5/17
Jwider -

His scrambles and takedown defense were impressive for 6 days notice BUT I think the same thing happens again if they run it back.

There promos would be better and I'd probably fall for the hype again sooo I'm in. 

ay I had to stop right here cause that’s what I’m thinking too. I don’t expect a different result, even if I hope, but yeah man I’d be right back in that too.

24 days ago
1/6/20

Thought that Masvidal came in with a very poor game plan and even poorer execution.  Throwing wild haymakers, not connecting on any of them.  He kept backing up against the fence too, wtf...learn how to circle away from the cage to keep the fight in the center of the octagon.  You know that you're losing points by being pinned against the fence yet you do nothing to avoid it.

I think that he is the boxer but definitely did not show it.  Needs to go back to fundamental boxing to keep Usman at bay rather than trying to take him out with looping haymakers.

24 days ago
8/11/11

This fight never should've happened. It's just a horrible matchup. Why let your star gain a loss when you could've had him fight Connor and that fight would've been even bigger than the title fight. 

UFC needs to start putting alternative fighters on retainer for title fights. Pay them 10% of their show money simply to be ready. I think a lot of fighters would jump at that deal. 

24 days ago
9/23/07
Kimbos Lice - 

Your uncle's dick must push through your cleft palate and smush up your brain when he fucks your mouth for you to be this stupid. 

Masvidal looked WAY better against Usman than the former champ and former interim champ on 6 days notice. How is that "Journeyman". What a spectacular moron.

You better start freebasing alpha brain pronto to avoid being declared a ward of the state.

USE THE PROMO CODE: "ROGAN" TO RECEIVE 10% OFF.

24 days ago
8/26/11
Brockback Mountain -
Kimbos Lice - 

Your uncle's dick must push through your cleft palate and smush up your brain when he fucks your mouth for you to be this stupid. 

Masvidal looked WAY better against Usman than the former champ and former interim champ on 6 days notice. How is that "Journeyman". What a spectacular moron.

You better start freebasing alpha brain pronto to avoid being declared a ward of the state.

USE THE PROMO CODE: "ROGAN" TO RECEIVE 10% OFF.

U MAD BRO?

24 days ago
10/3/16
Ancient Wolf -

mas say's he's not gonna make any excuses. then goes on to make 47 excuses.

mas could train for a year and usman would still beat him. in fact mas was training 

his butt off in case he fought. ask dustin. he sparred with him plenty and had high level

wrestlers coming in to train just for him. mas needs to give up on the excuses and lies.

oh yeah. he would fight conor in a second over usman if he was offered that fight.

He's not making excuses, he's trying to sell a second fight.

What do you want him to say? "Oh yeah he beat me, I got no chance against him." Blah blah, that's not only not Masvidal-level thinking, that's just counter-productive. He wants another shot, nobody else is looking good aside from Burns.. but come on, this fight made too much money.

24 days ago
9/14/17
SomeoneToDoYourDirtyWork -
Kimbos Lice -

Dominated!? lol Kamaru "Decision" Usman hugged him to death and played footsie for 5 rds. He couldn't even cause any damege except by headbutting him. You proud of your boy's performance going 5 rds. with a guy on 6 days notice. GTFO and I'm not even a Masvidal fan. That shit was terrible.

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/UnderGround/UFC-251-in-Gifs-any-Gif-Requests:2835403

Just take a minute. You and Brockback.

Sounds like you spent the fight watching Masvidal, waiting for him to do something. Meanwhile, you missed Usman mauling him.

I don’t think Masvidal has the tools to beat him.

24 days ago
8/2/11
Kimbos Lice -

Hey Cre how you been

24 days ago
3/6/07
BrowBeaten -
Kimbos Lice -

What? Dominated? Are you serious? What fight did you watch? 

He in no way got dominated. He clearly lost. No domination whatsoever 

50-45 right. 

as in , 5-0

24 days ago
1/1/01

By no brained I thought he meant Mike Perry

24 days ago
1/26/08

If he was smart hed go after Diaz again.
Will make mor than Usman II and extremely winnable.
Then go after Connor if he is crazy enough to take it.
Then go title shot, with wins over Diaz/Connor, would be hugee.

Diaz and Connor are winnablee, Usman is tough match up for him so get 3 big pay days and put your ego aside.

24 days ago
5/31/07
Nytron -

Usman landed an insane amount of body shots throughout the fight, many of them POWER shots. See here for justa FEW of the MANY shots: https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/UnderGround/UFC-251-in-Gifs-any-Gif-Requests:2835403

Zuffa needs to use Mas to lure Nick Diaz outta retirement.

Come on man..give us a few more capitalized words next time.  It REALLY gets your POINT across and makes you sound SUPER smart.  

24 days ago
9/2/11

Bad career move.  Not getting McGregor now