UnderGround Forums Who was the King of Old School MMA?

17 days ago
1/1/01
"Ruas was 36 when he debuted in UFC 7. Marco in his Prime would have been amazing."

Dan Severn also started at the age of 36, and he had a longer, and more successful career as a fighter than Marco Ruas, but of course everyone ages differently, and you've also got to factor injuries into the equation.
17 days ago
8/1/00

Anyone know where I can watch or buy the UFC 2 prelims that were never shown?

17 days ago
1/1/01

Sakuraba was underrated 

17 days ago
1/1/01
DiscoNfrno - 

Anyone know where I can watch or buy the UFC 2 prelims that were never shown?

I asked this a few weeks back, apparently their on fight pass.
17 days ago
3/23/06

Coleman with headbutts

17 days ago
1/2/20
Royce, Ruas, Rickson, Shamrock.
17 days ago
3/18/05
Erik Apple -

you would have to give a specific year to get a good answer

This. SEG UFC? Pride? Early Fertitta UFC? when does Old School start and end? 

Vovchachin would have murdered anyone in early UFC, hell he beat Mark Kerr. 

Rickson is not in the discussion, never beat anyone of note. Igor had more fights by 21 than Rickson had in his entire career. And he fought and beat opponents of much higher caliber. Cro Cop pretty much stopped the Vovchanchin  career train with his left leg though. 

And his ko gif of Fransisco Bueno is still one of the best ever. 

17 days ago
1/1/01
Tmaguru -

that's fucking hilarious

17 days ago
8/20/16

Igor

Pele

17 days ago
1/1/01

ive heard the arguement Rickson hasnt beaten anyone of note but id still put him near the top along with Ruas,Royce,Igor Then came the American wrestlers Coleman Erickson and Kerr.

17 days ago
10/18/04
I would agree with Ruas. When you say "King of MMA" I think well rounded. Ruas was the first/earliest I think of. Hume and Paulson are right there too.
17 days ago
2/8/11

Frank Shamrock. Who ironically ushered in the modern era.

16 days ago
1/1/01

Wanderlei Silva

16 days ago
1/1/01

Tom Erickson could be a contender of King of Old School MMA? Not the most well rounded guy, but a huge monster wrestler.

16 days ago
1/24/16
theshooter - Igor had his first MMA fight in like either 1995 or 1996. That was around the same time Marco Ruas first fought in the UFC.

I do recall hearing that Ruas had some MMA fights in Brazil prior to this, so that may well predate Igor.

Ruas had a lot of hype, but he was a bit of an underachiever, whereas Igor was a big of an overachiever. Not many people expected a 5'8" pudgy guy like Igor to do as well as he did, especially considering that he mostly fought heavyweights.

Overeem fought in1997

16 days ago
11/22/11

Oleg (sadly getting no love), Ruas, scrawny Frye. 

16 days ago
6/5/05

I'd probably try and choose a fighter before UFC 8 and UU96.

Don Frye came onto the scene and cleared house by that time. He was arguably the most skillful fighyer in the UFC.

About three years up to UFC 8 from the beginning of the UFC and I think fighters were beginning to catch on to this new kind of fighting (in the States with UFC at least), and we started to see better trained athletes entering within a couple of years, Ruas is a great example - big, skilled, patient, stand up, submissions.

Therefore, we need to go back as far as possible. 

We had events like Pancrase, which, yes, does bring up the discussion of worked fights.

However, Pancrase had the likes of Ken and Frank, and also Bas Rutten. All of which made their name in the UFC.

Royce Gracie is the one name that is impossible not to mention when discussing early fight events, and of course the UFC.

Royce was there in its infancy and dominated and fought as an underdog in these NHB tournaments.

Apart from fish hooking and eye gouging, it really was NHB.

Several things make Royce my candidate:

Reigning champion in the infancy of the UFC, a fight event that brought NHB to the masses;

Fought and beat much bigger opponents;

From a history of a fighting family;

Fought NHB in what became known as the challenge matches on Gracies in Action.

So, he's my vote.

To quote Rich G-Man Goins:

"Royce Gracie...Gracie"

15 days ago
1/1/01

"Overeem fought in1997"

You may be thinking of Valentine Overeem, Alistair's older brother.

15 days ago
1/1/01

"We had events like Pancrase, which, yes, does bring up the discussion of worked fights."

I don't think there were that many works in Pancrase.

Also, some of what people call works in Pancrase were not really works, they were just matches where there was a gentlemans agreement to not throw strikes while on the ground.

14 days ago
1/1/01

ttt

13 days ago
1/1/01

ttt

12 days ago
1/1/01

Kazushi Sakuraba started fighting in the 1990's, so I suppose he could qualify as an Old School fighter.

12 days ago
4/2/20

Definitely Royce, and Ken not to far under him. I know Royce was selected by the Gracie family to show Gracie JJ was the superior single martial art because of his smaller and weaker looking stature, but he still went out there and got it done against much bigger, stronger, and scarier guys.

Unlike Royce, Ken looked the part, talked the talk and walked the walk. Even so, Royce made quick work of him. Under Ken, I’d have to list Bas Rutten as 3rd. For some reason, Ken had Bas’s number everytime they fought.

12 days ago
5/10/04
Pain Headquarters - 

Definitely Royce, and Ken not to far under him. I know Royce was selected by the Gracie family to show Gracie JJ was the superior single martial art because of his smaller and weaker looking stature, but he still went out there and got it done against much bigger, stronger, and scarier guys.

Unlike Royce, Ken looked the part, talked the talk and walked the walk. Even so, Royce made quick work of him. Under Ken, I’d have to list Bas Rutten as 3rd. For some reason, Ken had Bas’s number everytime they fought.

Bad matchup for Bas.

I'd say that after the second fight with Royce, followed by subbing Severn -- Ken was top dog until he went to WWF.
Edited: 12 days ago
1/1/01

" I know Royce was selected by the Gracie family to show Gracie JJ was the superior single martial art because of his smaller and weaker looking stature,"

Royce is actually somewhat tall at 6'1", but yeah, he had a thinner build and did not look like a bulked up muscular guy.