UnderGround Forums Who wins in a grappling match: Rogan or Conor?

1/16/20 6:32 PM
11/16/09
ShortElbowInTheClinch -
hankhill -
ShortElbowInTheClinch - 

Are you guys for real debating this or trolling?  You cannot be serious. 

Serious question. Who would you pick in a no gì grappling match between Rickson Gracie at 61 years old vs Conor? Like joe, he is a black belt and clearly older and not in his prime like Conor.

Now you're comparing Joe Rogan and Rickson?  Serious question:  Have you ever rolled with anyone? 

Conor is training 4-6 hours a day (yes some of that is even grappling) in preparation for a UFC Main Event on Saturday.  Joe just wrapped up a 3 hour podcast with a physicist.  

I don't care if Rogan knows every single BJJ technique ever invented since the days of Helio.  The difference in conditioning, athletic ability, youth, training schedule and frequency would be immeasurably vast.  Conor taps Joe out seconds after they bump and proceeds to tap him every 40-45 seconds until Rogan says "no mas". 

Rogan is shooting stem cells directly into his dick, possibly sleeps on an EPO drip, is gargling moose mayonnaise TRT protein shakes, while hiking hundreds of miles per week to fuel his Elk meat addiction.

You think Conor is competing with that while being under USADA testing protocols? Fuck no. 

Rogan is practically a genetically engineered super soldier at this point. 

1/16/20 6:34 PM
12/4/18
ProteinOverdrive -

A younger jacked Rogan would sub McGregor. Rogan is considerably bigger than Conor and he's a black belt in BJJ.

Not bigger in height and frame. Go back and look at young Joe before the steroids. He was skinny and frail 

1/16/20 6:43 PM
11/29/11

Lol at Rogan beating Conor in bjj. Conor has a very good ground game even in the exchanges and scrambles he loses on the ground he hits a few steps and counters along the way. Just got beat at the end of a string of transitions against guys like khabib. He came close a couple times even in that fight to hitting some slick stuff 

1/16/20 6:44 PM
7/8/09

Rogan is too old stiff for Conor. And now that he's heavier, Rogan is even more stiff

1/16/20 6:47 PM
4/9/16

Could Dick Butkus tackle Saquon Barkley in the open field?  Butkus was quite a linebacker in his day and Saquon gets tackled a lot.  

1/16/20 6:57 PM
8/6/06

Obviously the Answer is Conor.

1/16/20 7:02 PM
4/9/16
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -

Obviously the Answer is Conor.

Read some of the comments.  You'll be absolutely stunned at how unobvious the answer is to some. 

1/16/20 7:15 PM
1/1/01

I remember when Nick the Tooth thought he would out grapple Joe Lauzon. A Competitive Grappler against a Pro fighter. It was a bad day for Nick The Tooth. It would be the same story for Joe Rogan. I admire Joe for his skills and dedication to training. But Connor is a pro for god sakes.

1/17/20 9:35 AM
5/18/10
FreakDaddy - I remember when Nick the Tooth thought he would out grapple Joe Lauzon. A Competitive Grappler against a Pro fighter. It was a bad day for Nick The Tooth. It would be the same story for Joe Rogan. I admire Joe for his skills and dedication to training. But Connor is a pro for god sakes.

Nick was a white belt going against purple who was bigger than him. This is a brown going against a black belt whose bigger than him

1/17/20 10:03 AM
6/28/11
Stuart___ -
MTH -

I would bet Conor. And I feel like a lot of folks on this thread have never rolled with an active UFC level pro MMA fighter. 

There's a lot of fans who don't give pro fighters enough credit imo. 

That said in terms of BJJ, it wasn't abnormal for guys on the lower level of the UFC to get tapped by recreational BJJ guys at least a couple of years ago. 

Rashad said he got tapped by BJJ guys with no interest in competing when he was champion. 

Rogan would probably gas in 60 seconds in the Octagon but that said I'd take prime Rogan to sub McGregor. Current Rogan would almost definitely get tapped himself. Prime Rogan was completely focused on BJJ, McGregor has a bunch of other stuff to practise even if he trains more. 

Appreciate the courteous response and I agree. 

A "prime" black belt with a 20+ lb weight advantage and a longtime exclusive focus on BJJ changes the hypothetical of the original post.  It's likely to be a fun watch but should yield in favor of the black belt in straight BJJ unless the MMA pro is some sort of savant grappler.  I've seen iterations of this play out in our gym, even where the pro fighter is a Division I All-American who generally mauls similarly-sized upper belts.

But . . . we also have a few older black belts (50+) in the area.  Their technique is fantastic and they're in great shape, but I am doubtful they could handle the pace put out by a pro level MMA fighter whose grappling is at a competitive purple/brown level.  I think a "fast start" plus aggression along with a relentless output for 5 to 10 minutes wears the older black belt down.  

JMHO.  And there is also the gi/no-gi factor to consider.  

1/17/20 10:13 AM
3/5/13
Stuart___ -
MTH -

I would bet Conor. And I feel like a lot of folks on this thread have never rolled with an active UFC level pro MMA fighter. 

That said in terms of BJJ, it wasn't abnormal for guys on the lower level of the UFC to get tapped by recreational BJJ guys at least a couple of years ago. 

Rashad said he got tapped by BJJ guys with no interest in competing when he was champion. 

Rogan would probably gas in 60 seconds in the Octagon but that said I'd take prime Rogan to sub McGregor. Current Rogan would almost definitely get tapped himself. Prime Rogan was completely focused on BJJ, McGregor has a bunch of other stuff to practise even if he trains more. 

hahahahaha

Conor isn't tapping shit.  

1/17/20 10:20 AM
3/5/13
ryans -
FreakDaddy - I remember when Nick the Tooth thought he would out grapple Joe Lauzon. A Competitive Grappler against a Pro fighter. It was a bad day for Nick The Tooth. It would be the same story for Joe Rogan. I admire Joe for his skills and dedication to training. But Connor is a pro for god sakes.

Nick was a white belt going against purple who was bigger than him. This is a brown going against a black belt whose bigger than him

Agreed. I think people are confusing this question.  I've seen comments like Conor's a Pro, Joes a podcaster, etc....

I've seen with my own 2 eyes a purple with a couple stripes that's in the UFC get mangled by non fighting older brown and black belts.  Conor isn't anything special on the ground, not even close.  Joe is a double black belt by 2 legit lineages.  Straight grappling, Joe easily taps him.  

1/17/20 6:27 PM
1/25/14
NFABeeJay -
Stuart___ -
MTH -

hahahahaha

I'm basing my opinion off Rogan talking about a lot of injuries on his podcast. 

Sounds like he's barely trained in years. 

Neither of these guys are people I know personally. 

How many years off does a blackbelt need to take before he becomes brown belt level (genuine question). 

1/17/20 7:28 PM
3/5/13
Stuart___ -
NFABeeJay -
Stuart___ -
MTH -

hahahahaha

How many years off does a blackbelt need to take before he becomes brown belt level (genuine question). 

Good question but knowledge stays.  I know some black belts that are now out of shape and older with a couple of them not competing for years but yet they can still dominate on the mats.  

The main question here has to be:  Does Conor's atheletism alone beat Rogans knowledge and size?  Personally I don't think so.  I'm not shitting on CM at all.  Dude is a stud BUT like I said, his ground game is basic as far as purple/brown belts go.  Straight grappling......There would be tons of Purples and Browns that would beat him at the grappling game. 

1/17/20 8:28 PM
12/24/10
hankhill -
ShortElbowInTheClinch - 

Are you guys for real debating this or trolling?  You cannot be serious. 

Serious question. Who would you pick in a no gì grappling match between Rickson Gracie at 61 years old vs Conor? Like joe, he is a black belt and clearly older and not in his prime like Conor.

Did you just fucking compare Joe Rogan to Rickson Gracie? What the fuck is wrong with this place??

1/17/20 8:31 PM
12/24/10
NFABeeJay -
Stuart___ -
NFABeeJay -
Stuart___ -
MTH -

hahahahaha

Good question but knowledge stays.  I know some black belts that are now out of shape and older with a couple of them not competing for years but yet they can still dominate on the mats.  

The main question here has to be:  Does Conor's atheletism alone beat Rogans knowledge and size?  Personally I don't think so.  I'm not shitting on CM at all.  Dude is a stud BUT like I said, his ground game is basic as far as purple/brown belts go.  Straight grappling......There would be tons of Purples and Browns that would beat him at the grappling game. 

I have a BlackBelt in BJJ & Judo and Connor would wreck me. It's not like he can't grapple. Have you watched him? He is pretty dam good and there is also that othe small other item- he is a world class athlete. Joe Rogan would get mauled

1/17/20 8:36 PM
3/5/13
phatcat -
NFABeeJay -
Stuart___ -
NFABeeJay -
Stuart___ -
MTH -

hahahahaha

I have a BlackBelt in BJJ & Judo and Connor would wreck me. It's not like he can't grapple. Have you watched him? He is pretty dam good and there is also that othe small other item- he is a world class athlete. Joe Rogan would get mauled

Interesting.  Do you think other new brown belts would tap you also?  

1/17/20 8:39 PM
3/5/13
phatcat -
NFABeeJay -
Stuart___ -
NFABeeJay -
Stuart___ -
MTH -

hahahahaha

Also, if you say no to that^, what makes CM so much better when it comes to strictly grappling?  

1/17/20 8:39 PM
11/24/13

Joe would rip his head off, dude is jacked to the gills.

1/17/20 10:11 PM
4/20/08

Were Shesh Ter Shire

1/17/20 10:19 PM
12/24/10
NFABeeJay -
phatcat -
NFABeeJay -
Stuart___ -
NFABeeJay -
Stuart___ -
MTH -

hahahahaha

Also, if you say no to that^, what makes CM so much better when it comes to strictly grappling?  

It's the athleticism that is the difference. CM is not  your run of the mill student in class. Also CM is Black Belt level- you act like he is some scrub- I am talking NoGi

1/17/20 10:29 PM
4/12/17

Professional fighter vs. 50+ year old hobbiest with irregular jitz training?  A better question would be which (if any) UFC fighters Rogan could last more than 5 mins with.

1/17/20 10:52 PM
1/1/01

Joe vs Conor grappling match should be the co-main to Tito vs Dana boxing match. Put it on Fight Pass.

1/17/20 11:50 PM
1/1/01

Don't think Conor could tap him but he'd control him

1/17/20 11:50 PM
1/1/01

Does anyone think Joe would do better against Khabib  in a grappling match?