UnderGround Forums Who would you lke to see Askren fight?

3/13/19 12:11 PM
10/4/14

Nick Diaz? Lol. GSP held him down and controlled him the whole fight. What do you think Askren would do? He should either fight Lawler again or any other TOP RANKED fighter. Not some guy who hasn’t fought in years and is retired. 

3/13/19 12:12 PM
10/16/06

Till

3/13/19 12:28 PM
3/6/06
Usman as soon as possible and then Colby.
3/13/19 12:39 PM
1/14/17

Robbie 

3/13/19 12:54 PM
12/6/11

Maia is the right answer! Id like to see if Askren will still be persistent with the takedowns, because many wrestlers when they go against Maia, they keep it standing.  If it remains a standup, Maia has better striking

3/13/19 1:28 PM
9/27/15
Captain Canuck - 
wiggum - I want him on a path to a title shot.

I think Till and Masvidal help him on that route and are very interesting. I think an immediate shot against Usman would be great.

If Askren loses any of these fights, fun fights like Maia and Nick would be great.

An immediate shot at Usamn would be awesome and there is the background to justify the shot.

Not sure what fighting Till will do for him, Masvidal, might be more to push him along but not much better.

Nick Diaz would be a fan fight for sure but also would boost Askren's name imo for that title shot. Tell Diaz that the winner of Askren/Diaz gets a shot at Usman.

If Til beats Masvidal down and wins via Tko or ko, then a fight vs Askren is nice but if Til only eeks out a decision win vs Masvidal, the fight with Askren is dumb

Askren wants nothing to do with Usman lol

Fuck the Diaz brothers
3/13/19 1:30 PM
3/4/10

Gunnar Nelson

3/13/19 1:32 PM
6/27/05
ons ear -
Captain Canuck - 

I think Till and Masvidal help him on that route and are very interesting. I think an immediate shot against Usman would be great.

If Askren loses any of these fights, fun fights like Maia and Nick would be great.

An immediate shot at Usamn would be awesome and there is the background to justify the shot.

Not sure what fighting Till will do for him, Masvidal, might be more to push him along but not much better.

Nick Diaz would be a fan fight for sure but also would boost Askren's name imo for that title shot. Tell Diaz that the winner of Askren/Diaz gets a shot at Usman.

If Til beats Masvidal down and wins via Tko or ko, then a fight vs Askren is nice but if Til only eeks out a decision win vs Masvidal, the fight with Askren is dumb

Fuck the Diaz brothers

Askren would embarrass Usman.

3/13/19 1:41 PM
12/6/11
Stu Cazzo -
ons ear -
Captain Canuck - 

Fuck the Diaz brothers

Doubt it

3/13/19 1:53 PM
7/2/09

For the guys saying Usman, how about Diego?

This would give Diego a high level retirement fight where he's unlikely to be hurt, it's a chance for Diego to show off that "Diego factor" one last time, and it would be an interesting test to see how Ben would look against Usman (who is peak Diego, plus that explosive athleticism).

3/13/19 2:02 PM
2/15/06
jgiveshead - 

For the guys saying Usman, how about Diego?

This would give Diego a high level retirement fight where he's unlikely to be hurt, it's a chance for Diego to show off that "Diego factor" one last time, and it would be an interesting test to see how Ben would look against Usman (who is peak Diego, plus that explosive athleticism).

Not that interested in seeing Diego fight. I would rather see Askren fight guys in the mix at the top.
3/13/19 2:10 PM
6/27/05
HoldingTuasBalls -
Stu Cazzo -
ons ear -
Captain Canuck - 

Fuck the Diaz brothers

Doubt it

Here he is six years removed from college taking on the 2013 D1 197lb champ fresh out of college:

https://www.flotrack.org/video/5470575-195-lbs-match-ben-askren-vs-quentin-wright

You read that right - he challenged the 197lb champ...

Enjoy

3/13/19 2:15 PM
10/4/03
^ there are a couple very random comparisons going on up here.
3/13/19 2:27 PM
1/26/08

Usman will fight Covington

sincr he wants title shot, give him winner of Till vs Masvidal. If Till wins, there is heat between the two and it would sell. Then if Ben wins that, give him the title shot. For those of you saying he doesn’t have credentials, he’s undefeated and owns titles in two major orgs, plus already has a win in the UFC.

3/13/19 4:14 PM
8/18/13

He doesn’t deserve it after one W, but I’d love to see him fight Usman, intriguing fight 

3/13/19 4:24 PM
1/1/01

Maia 

3/13/19 4:51 PM
6/16/07

Robbie Lawler. 

3/13/19 5:09 PM
8/20/03
InspiritMick - 

William Shatner

I like the way you think!
3/13/19 5:49 PM
2/17/03
(1) It's clear Askren wants to fight Usman. He has been picking a fight with him since getting into the UFC. Who would win is open to debate But, it's not open to debate that Askren wants that fight.

(2) The Wright v. Askren match (as well as the Askren v. Herbert and Gavin matches) matches are all relevant because they show Askren SMASHING wrestlers who were on levels well above Usman. Askren is an all-time great wrestler; Usman is a very good one. Interestingly, Ben hits the same drag against Wright that he hit against Robbie.
3/13/19 6:10 PM
8/18/13
wiggum - (1) It's clear Askren wants to fight Usman. He has been picking a fight with him since getting into the UFC. Who would win is open to debate But, it's not open to debate that Askren wants that fight.

(2) The Wright v. Askren match (as well as the Askren v. Herbert and Gavin matches) matches are all relevant because they show Askren SMASHING wrestlers who were on levels well above Usman. Askren is an all-time great wrestler; Usman is a very good one. Interestingly, Ben hits the same drag against Wright that he hit against Robbie.

3. People confuse wrestling and MMA Wrestling far too often. Cormier is levels above Jones at wrestling, we’ve all see he isn’t when it comes to MMA wrestling. Usman uses the clinch and the cage incredibly well 

3/13/19 6:13 PM
2/17/03
Dreville79 - 
wiggum - (1) It's clear Askren wants to fight Usman. He has been picking a fight with him since getting into the UFC. Who would win is open to debate But, it's not open to debate that Askren wants that fight.

3. People confuse wrestling and MMA Wrestling far too often. Cormier is levels above Jones at wrestling, we’ve all see he isn’t when it comes to MMA wrestling. Usman uses the clinch and the cage incredibly well 

You might be right. My point is NOT that we know Askren will outwrestle Usman in MMA. It's only that he's a better wrestler.

The better wrestler OFTEN is the better MMA wrestler, but not always. You have given the most prominent example. All we know now is that Askren and Usman have outwrestled everyone they have ever fought.

Your point about Usman and the cage is well taken. However, I would suggest that Askren is likely MOST effective in that range as well. Drags, Russians, high singles, etc. are all available there.
3/13/19 6:23 PM
2/15/06
wiggum - 
Dreville79 - 

You might be right. My point is NOT that we know Askren will outwrestle Usman in MMA. It's only that he's a better wrestler.

The better wrestler OFTEN is the better MMA wrestler, but not always. You have given the most prominent example. All we know now is that Askren and Usman have outwrestled everyone they have ever fought.

Your point about Usman and the cage is well taken. However, I would suggest that Askren is likely MOST effective in that range as well. Drags, Russians, high singles, etc. are all available there.

I think you have to consider Usman's wrestling and also his stand-up skill. He isn't known a lot for stand up skill but I personally was very impressed with the way he closed distance on Woodley and avoided his power shots.

His motor was also pretty impressive. Can Askren go 5 hard rounds with Usman who will also be hitting and kneeing him? I think it would be a great fight!
3/13/19 6:56 PM
2/17/03
StrikingMMA - 
wiggum - 
Dreville79 - 

I think you have to consider Usman's wrestling and also his stand-up skill. He isn't known a lot for stand up skill but I personally was very impressed with the way he closed distance on Woodley and avoided his power shots.

His motor was also pretty impressive. Can Askren go 5 hard rounds with Usman who will also be hitting and kneeing him? I think it would be a great fight!

Usman's stand up is good and very functional.

However, I think it only has one function: to press forward and get the fight to the cage. That puts him right in Ben's world.

Just like Woodley's stand up - great against Robbie, Wonderboy, etc. - is bad against some people (Usman, Rory), I think Usman's impressive standup might get him into trouble with Ben.

I really hope they fight. Both guys deserve to show how good they are.
3/14/19 6:59 PM
10/17/12
He should fight either Colby or Till first followed by Usman. After all three have been settled, remarch with Lawler.
3/14/19 8:09 PM
8/18/13
wiggum -
Dreville79 - 

Don’t get me wrong, I’d pick Askren to win, but I really wanna see its, it’s a really interesting fight.

Woodley v Covington also makes sense, Tyron isn’t getting an immediate rematch, and Colby doesn’t deserve a shot without fighting again. 

Not that what makes sense will probably happen