UnderGround Forums Who's the toughest/grittiest fighter of all time?

9/10/19 5:00 PM
8/23/04

Tony Furgeson. 

9/10/19 5:22 PM
1/1/01
In the modern era of boxing, you have to go with Arturo Gatti, the guy had more come back victories that most people would believe.

There were plenty of tough old timers too. Ali, Marciano, Holyfield, Many people believe that Harry Greb fought a large portion of his career while blind in one eye. Dempsey used to fight on boxcars after he'd been starved for weeks and hadn't eaten in days.

Fighting builds hard (beep) men. In terms of MMA when I think of toughness I think of Nogueira and maybe Clay Guida. Those guys both absorbed some beatings but never gave an inch.
9/10/19 5:31 PM
2/17/03
There are a few people who deserves spots at the top of the list.

Making a list and arguing that there are clear number ones like the Diaz brothers, both of whom have slowed down and conceded defeat a couple points during their careers, is crazy. (The Diazes are insanely tough. But they aren't clearly tougher than Gathje, for example).

If Nakai, Enson, and Nog aren't on your list, then something is wrong with your list.

Lots of tough guys have been mentioned here. I don't think anyone has mentioned Frankie, but he should definitely be on the list.
9/10/19 6:35 PM
7/16/13
The Lion King -

Gaethje. Anyone saying otherwise is just being a pseudo-intellectual and trying to impress people with their knowledge of the past.

Also, Evander Holyfield’s performance against riddick bowe in round 10 always comes to mind when I think of “Lionheart”. 

I agree that Justin is a beast and super tough. But I strongly disagree that mentioning older fighters is a way to show off. I started watching casually in 2009 and became a hard core fan around 2011. Way after the days of Nakai, Sakuraba, Frye, etc. I learned about those guys from this forum and from YouTube and from more senior people at the gyms I train at.  

They fought when there were way fewer rules, essentially no financial incentive, no existing footage for game planning. Nothing.  Just whatever balls you have and whatever skills you believed in. I think it's disrespectful to discredit the sacrifices made by the early guys did in favor of the modern competitors we enjoy these days. 

9/10/19 6:37 PM
7/16/13
wiggum - There are a few people who deserves spots at the top of the list.

Making a list and arguing that there are clear number ones like the Diaz brothers, both of whom have slowed down and conceded defeat a couple points during their careers, is crazy. (The Diazes are insanely tough. But they aren't clearly tougher than Gathje, for example).

If Nakai, Enson, and Nog aren't on your list, then something is wrong with your list.

Lots of tough guys have been mentioned here. I don't think anyone has mentioned Frankie, but he should definitely be on the list.

I almost mentioned Enson. I know people on this board love him, but I haven't seen enough footage to be informed enough to have an opinion 

9/10/19 6:39 PM
7/16/13
Deepy -

Props for mentioning Yuki Nakai. His VJT run was crazy, made me a fan for life. 

Matt Brown has always struck me as a very tough gritty fighter. 

I've read that about Nakau as well. Good call on Brown. All the Ohio boys are tough. 

Franklin finishing Chuck with a broken arm and his corner telling him to keep throwing with a broken hand is pretty gritty 

then all those old hammer house guys. Stipe kept a fulltime job even when he made high money as champ.  

9/10/19 6:39 PM
7/16/13
T?bikan J?dan -
Deepy -

Props for mentioning Yuki Nakai. His VJT run was crazy, made me a fan for life. 

Matt Brown has always struck me as a very tough gritty fighter. 

I've read that about Nakau as well. Good call on Brown. All the Ohio boys are tough. 

Franklin finishing Chuck with a broken arm and his corner telling him to keep throwing with a broken hand is pretty gritty 

then all those old hammer house guys. Stipe kept a fulltime job even when he made high money as champ.  

*huge money

9/10/19 7:10 PM
12/1/10
chris lytle

In Lytle's mixed martial arts and boxing career he was never knocked out or submitted, though he did lose in mixed martial arts competition by TKO by way of cut stoppage.

nobody wanted to fight him back in the day. you were going to go all the way and you were going to the hospital even if you won.
9/10/19 9:06 PM
8/8/18
stringtheory -

Justin Gaethje over everyone ever 

This was my first thought, Matt brown also.

9/10/19 9:11 PM
3/25/19

Frankie Edgar. Who has been hurt more than him and still keeps coming?

9/10/19 10:44 PM
6/6/04
Those two Japanese fighters known for their " Warrior Spirit" in PRIDE FIGHTING in Japan NHB and MMA, they fought larger formidable opponents .....MATSSUI and I think maybe FUJI

they prob didnt end up with winning records buth they hung in there with the top of the food chain fighters.
9/10/19 11:03 PM
2/24/19

Wesley Correira aka Cabbage

9/10/19 11:39 PM
1/1/01
T?bikan J?dan - 
The Assassanator -

Whothefookisthatguy.gif

Hard to argue with this one. Facing 2 different fighters in one night that out weighed him by over 100 lbs each and defeating them both with one eye is unreal.

Saku gets a shout out here too.
9/10/19 11:40 PM
8/28/14

Travis Fulton. 

Edited: 9/10/19 11:50 PM
12/1/10

babalu sobral.

ifc global domination. 3 fights in one night.

bonus the ref was josh rosenthal.

fuck i got old.
9/10/19 11:52 PM
11/24/13

Too many to list. It actually might be a shorter list to list the fighters who err on the side of quitting. Like McTapper.

9/11/19 3:24 PM
1/10/13
buddie - In the modern era of boxing, you have to go with Arturo Gatti, the guy had more come back victories that most people would believe.

There were plenty of tough old timers too. Ali, Marciano, Holyfield, Many people believe that Harry Greb fought a large portion of his career while blind in one eye. Dempsey used to fight on boxcars after he'd been starved for weeks and hadn't eaten in days.

Fighting builds hard (beep) men. In terms of MMA when I think of toughness I think of Nogueira and maybe Clay Guida. Those guys both absorbed some beatings but never gave an inch.

Not slighting Gatti at all, he was an absolute champion with enourmous heart. I still think Mickey Ward deserves atleast as much credit or more for the heart he showed. Mickey lacked a lot of the spedd and refined boxing skills that Arturo had. Mickey was not fast, not even fundamentally all that great. He basically had the skills of an average journeyman, but had the ability to throw huge hooks to the body and had an unbreakable will. His heart was incredible and it kept him in fights that he had no business being in honestly. Most people only know Mickey from his fights with Arturo. Mickey had huge comebacks himself against guys like Reggie Green. His comeback against Alfonso Sanchez is the 2nd most shocking comeback I've ever seen (Castro KO'ing John David Jackson is my #1). Mickey lost every second of the fight and was being shit talked by Larry Merchant and the HBO crew for such a lousey performance. Instantly with one hook to the body and it was over.

Mickey has some tough ass fights against guys like Antonio Diaz in losses, but he had the fight of the year against Emanuel Burton(Agustus). He was pretty spent before he ever even faced Gatti. He never should have fought the 3rd fight. He was having some bad issues with balance, head aches, etc. Like the warrior he always was though, he didn't complain and went out giving it everything he had.

9/11/19 3:27 PM
4/13/15

9/11/19 3:29 PM
6/16/07

Boxing, George Chuvalo.

9/11/19 3:33 PM
12/8/14

Thiago Santos, as far as recent fighters go. 

Fighting with basically no legs vs Jones showed toughness. 

9/11/19 4:00 PM
7/15/14
The Lion King - 
jetsteragain -
The Lion King - 

Gaethje. Anyone saying otherwise is just being a pseudo-intellectual and trying to impress people with their knowledge of the past.

Also, Evander Holyfield’s performance against riddick bowe in round 10 always comes to mind when I think of “Lionheart”. 

Really now lol

have you ever seen the two guys called Diaz??? lol

Dont get me wrong Gaethje is the same but if you think he is tougher then the Diaz bro's you need to watch some of their fights, Nate and Nick have been doing what Gaethje is doing in the UFC much longer against the best.

Nate and Nick have quit in them. They are very content with losing a decision while making mean faces and acting tough while Gaethje is willing to die trying to get the W. 

Troll Troll Troll your boat...

Lmao
9/11/19 4:08 PM
7/15/14
T?bikan J?dan - 

I almost mentioned Enson. I know people on this board love him, but I haven't seen enough footage to be informed enough to have an opinion 

Name me 1 fight The Diaz bro's conceded defeat???

I saw them be frustrated, ya, namely Nick against GSP but that was just because GSP's skillset was above and beyond Nick's, BUT Nick never gave up, he just couldn't keep up skill wise.

If you consider knowing you're clearly outclassed in skill and are frustrated conceding then we see differently.

Believe me if Geathje had ever fought GSP we would see the same from him when GSP would totally control him on the ground and Geathje could ABSELOUTLEY DO NOTHING, he would be frustrated as well but dont confuse that with giving up....Apples and Oranges.
9/11/19 4:25 PM
7/18/11

Just to throw another name in...

Korean Zombie motherfuckers!

9/11/19 4:40 PM
3/12/15
jetsteragain -
T?bikan J?dan - 

Name me 1 fight The Diaz bro's conceded defeat???

I saw them be frustrated, ya, namely Nick against GSP but that was just because GSP's skillset was above and beyond Nick's, BUT Nick never gave up, he just couldn't keep up skill wise.

If you consider knowing you're clearly outclassed in skill and are frustrated conceding then we see differently.

Believe me if Geathje had ever fought GSP we would see the same from him when GSP would totally control him on the ground and Geathje could ABSELOUTLEY DO NOTHING, he would be frustrated as well but dont confuse that with giving up....Apples and Oranges.

Gaethje would likely get submitted or knocked out by GSP because he wouldn’t just lay there on his back content with losing a decision like the Diaz bros do. He would put himself in dangerous positions to get out from bottom and go wild for the kill in the striking which would lead to him go getting finished. Nick and Nate will never go out on their shield if they’re down on points; they’d rather make mean faces and look tough than go out on their shield trying to get the kill.

9/11/19 5:05 PM
9/17/11

diego.....