UnderGround Forums Who's the toughest/grittiest fighter of all time?

9/11/19 5:11 PM
7/18/11
The Lion King -
jetsteragain -
T?bikan J?dan - 
wiggum - There are a few people who deserves spots at the top of the list.

Making a list and arguing that there are clear number ones like the Diaz brothers, both of whom have slowed down and conceded defeat a couple points during their careers, is crazy. (The Diazes are insanely tough. But they aren't clearly tougher than Gathje, for example).

If Nakai, Enson, and Nog aren't on your list, then something is wrong with your list.

Lots of tough guys have been mentioned here. I don't think anyone has mentioned Frankie, but he should definitely be on the list.

I almost mentioned Enson. I know people on this board love him, but I haven't seen enough footage to be informed enough to have an opinion 

Name me 1 fight The Diaz bro's conceded defeat???

I saw them be frustrated, ya, namely Nick against GSP but that was just because GSP's skillset was above and beyond Nick's, BUT Nick never gave up, he just couldn't keep up skill wise.

If you consider knowing you're clearly outclassed in skill and are frustrated conceding then we see differently.

Believe me if Geathje had ever fought GSP we would see the same from him when GSP would totally control him on the ground and Geathje could ABSELOUTLEY DO NOTHING, he would be frustrated as well but dont confuse that with giving up....Apples and Oranges.

Gaethje would likely get submitted or knocked out by GSP because he wouldn’t just lay there on his back content with losing a decision like the Diaz bros do. He would put himself in dangerous positions to get out from bottom and go wild for the kill in the striking which would lead to him go getting finished. Nick and Nate will never go out on their shield if they’re down on points; they’d rather make mean faces and look tough than go out on their shield trying to get the kill.

Apparently Conor won’t go out on his shield either...

9/11/19 5:39 PM
3/12/15
SickEye -
The Lion King -
jetsteragain -
T?bikan J?dan - 

Making a list and arguing that there are clear number ones like the Diaz brothers, both of whom have slowed down and conceded defeat a couple points during their careers, is crazy. (The Diazes are insanely tough. But they aren't clearly tougher than Gathje, for example).

If Nakai, Enson, and Nog aren't on your list, then something is wrong with your list.

Lots of tough guys have been mentioned here. I don't think anyone has mentioned Frankie, but he should definitely be on the list.

I almost mentioned Enson. I know people on this board love him, but I haven't seen enough footage to be informed enough to have an opinion 

I saw them be frustrated, ya, namely Nick against GSP but that was just because GSP's skillset was above and beyond Nick's, BUT Nick never gave up, he just couldn't keep up skill wise.

If you consider knowing you're clearly outclassed in skill and are frustrated conceding then we see differently.

Believe me if Geathje had ever fought GSP we would see the same from him when GSP would totally control him on the ground and Geathje could ABSELOUTLEY DO NOTHING, he would be frustrated as well but dont confuse that with giving up....Apples and Oranges.

Gaethje would likely get submitted or knocked out by GSP because he wouldn’t just lay there on his back content with losing a decision like the Diaz bros do. He would put himself in dangerous positions to get out from bottom and go wild for the kill in the striking which would lead to him go getting finished. Nick and Nate will never go out on their shield if they’re down on points; they’d rather make mean faces and look tough than go out on their shield trying to get the kill.

Yes he will. Compare his fight against Khabib compared to Al. 

Al was content with getting boxed up by a vastly inferior striker for the last 2 rounds and stalling to a decision loss as long as it meant no more ground punishment on the ground. Conor actually engaged in striking and risked getting taken down which is why he actually won a round and got caught in a Td in the 4th. Then instead of laying on his back and stalling to a decision loss Diaz/Masvidal “gangster style” he actually tried working his way back to his feet and got caught in a neck crank in the process.

Or like when he risked getting guillotined against Mendes but ended up escaping in a beautiful scramble and finishing him seconds later.

But of course the WWE crossover fans think Conor is the pussy for tapping out because they were raised to believe that only the “cowardly bad guy heel characters” tap out to fully sunken in submissions while their heroes just “hulk out” of it. In reality Conor is a warrior for going out on his shield and putting himself in dangerous positions to fight for a W rather than just coasting to a decision loss and looking “gangster” in the process (see every Diaz or Masvidal decision loss). 

9/11/19 5:49 PM
7/18/11
The Lion King -
SickEye -
The Lion King -
jetsteragain -
T?bikan J?dan - 

Al was content with getting boxed up by a vastly inferior striker for the last 2 rounds and stalling to a decision loss as long as it meant no more ground punishment on the ground. Conor actually engaged in striking and risked getting taken down which is why he actually won a round and got caught in a Td in the 4th. Then instead of laying on his back and stalling to a decision loss Diaz/Masvidal “gangster style” he actually tried working his way back to his feet and got caught in a neck crank in the process.

Or like when he risked getting guillotined against Mendes but ended up escaping in a beautiful scramble and finishing him seconds later.

But of course the WWE crossover fans think Conor is the pussy for tapping out because they were raised to believe that only the “cowardly bad guy heel characters” tap out to fully sunken in submissions while their heroes just “hulk out” of it. In reality Conor is a warrior for going out on his shield and putting himself in dangerous positions to fight for a W rather than just coasting to a decision loss and looking “gangster” in the process (see every Diaz or Masvidal decision loss). 

Those are some serious mental gymnastics. 

9/11/19 6:05 PM
1/1/01

Arturo Gatti. That guy snatched victory from the jaws of defeat more times than any other fighter I’ve ever seen. He was a true warrior. 

9/11/19 6:20 PM
3/12/15
SickEye -
The Lion King -
SickEye -
The Lion King -
jetsteragain -
T?bikan J?dan - 

Concession accepted

9/11/19 6:46 PM
5/31/05
I'd give an honourable mention to Rory Mcdonald - thinking particularly of his fight against Robbie Lawler. Guy kept coming and coming back at Lawler, until his body finally shut down - one of the best displays of 'heart' in recent years.
9/11/19 7:21 PM
12/14/15

Frankie Edgar is the name that immediately came into my head reading the thread title. 

9/11/19 7:32 PM
3/25/19
Bigtrain2681 -

Frankie Edgar is the name that immediately came into my head reading the thread title. 

Mine too!

9/11/19 7:37 PM
10/20/10

Michael Bisping 

9/11/19 7:42 PM
1/24/16

Frankie, gaethe, bisping, Khabib maybe

9/11/19 8:14 PM
10/17/13
Enson Inoue.
9/11/19 9:03 PM
4/8/13

frankie edgar brahs

Edited: 9/11/19 9:15 PM
1/13/11

Matt Brown motherfuckers. It's hard to pick an old school guy though, theres so many tough as fuck guys from the old days. 

9/12/19 12:24 AM
4/19/15

Leben. 

9/12/19 1:56 AM
2/20/09

anyone who’s ever taken a liver shot.  He got dropped about 10 seconds in.  And then THAT happened.

Just one of many examples of Arturo’s heart.

9/12/19 1:57 AM
12/14/15
The Lion King -
SickEye -
The Lion King -
SickEye -
The Lion King -
jetsteragain -
T?bikan J?dan - 

Concession accepted

Reading it, I don’t think it’s a concession, more highlighting how your diving through hoops and massaging facts to fit your narrative. 

9/12/19 2:21 AM
7/29/02
FCTV808 - 
Rimbaud -

Don Frye, faggots.

Correct 

There's only one answer and it came on the front page. Some faith in humanity restored.
9/12/19 2:55 AM
5/15/15
Rakoshi -

Wesley Correira aka Cabbage

Cabbage was a monster... didnt see Leban mentioned either.

Both may not have been the most technical fighters but my god you had to kill to stop them

Edited: 9/12/19 4:21 AM
11/13/16

Chris Leben 

9/12/19 4:23 AM
3/31/14

Shogun

Leben

diego Sanchez 

9/12/19 4:43 AM
9/18/09

Enson Inoue

9/12/19 6:11 AM
3/12/15
Bigtrain2681 -
The Lion King -
SickEye -
The Lion King -
SickEye -
The Lion King -
jetsteragain -
T?bikan J?dan - 

Concession accepted

Reading it, I don’t think it’s a concession, more highlighting how your diving through hoops and massaging facts to fit your narrative. 

So you admit my arguments were factual and can’t respond to any of them?

I accept your concession as well. 

9/12/19 7:23 AM
12/14/15
The Lion King -
Bigtrain2681 -
The Lion King -
SickEye -
The Lion King -
SickEye -
The Lion King -
jetsteragain -
T?bikan J?dan - 

Concession accepted

Lol. No. They’re not ‘factual’. They’re built on retard logic to enable you to warp them to fit your narrative. 

Al done worse than Mcgregor because he lasted the entire fight, despite as you stated, he was getting ‘boxed up’ for the majority of it, against a better wrestler he couldn’t take down. Wheras Mcgregor displayed his toughness by getting taken down at will, dropped when standing and getting finished in the 4th. 

I hope me highlighting the stupidity of your ‘facts’ clears this up for you. 

You’re just as retarded on this account as your others. Congratulations boy. 

9/12/19 10:08 AM
3/12/15
Bigtrain2681 -
The Lion King -
Bigtrain2681 -
The Lion King -
SickEye -
The Lion King -
SickEye -
The Lion King -
jetsteragain -
T?bikan J?dan - 

Concession accepted

Lol. No. They’re not ‘factual’. They’re built on retard logic to enable you to warp them to fit your narrative. 

Al done worse than Mcgregor because he lasted the entire fight, despite as you stated, he was getting ‘boxed up’ for the majority of it, against a better wrestler he couldn’t take down. Wheras Mcgregor displayed his toughness by getting taken down at will, dropped when standing and getting finished in the 4th. 

I hope me highlighting the stupidity of your ‘facts’ clears this up for you. 

You’re just as retarded on this account as your others. Congratulations boy. 

You admitted my statements were facts in your previous post. Lasting longer does not equate to doing better. It’s easy to stall to a dominant loss rather than going back and forth before being finished.

Conor put himself in dangerous positions to win round 3 and continued to put himself in dangerous positions in round 4 which costed him. He could have easily stalled to a lopsided decision loss like many of Khabibs other opponents but instead opted to be the 1st fighter to ever win a round against Khabib.

Much like Bisping, Hughes, and Serra got finished by GSP because they put themselves in dangerous positions actually trying to beat him. Whereas many of GSPs lesser opponents lasted longer than Bisping, Hughes, and Serra because they were just content with surviving.

9/12/19 10:36 AM
6/3/11
The Lion King -
jetsteragain -
T?bikan J?dan - 

Love the Diaz Bros, but I agree. A few times when they know they can't win they just kinda delay the fight. Gaethje would go honey badger and rather go out on a stretcher.