UnderGround Forums Why do immigrant fighters always rep home country?

Edited: 22 days ago
9/21/17

Its just something that really grinds my gears. Like izzy and usman and always representing Nigeria like if it wasn't for new Zealand and America there is no way they would be where they are at today. I get it its okay to be proud of your heritage but it just bothers me. Show some love for the country that made you who you are today. 

Also Andy ruiz and other countless mexican american fighters

4/19/10

Nothing wrong with pride in your roots. US fighters show it more than anyone to be honest...

22 days ago
1/9/05
Because nationality is about blood, not current address.
22 days ago
8/5/17

I don’t see any problem with it. Rep where you came from if you want. It’s fine. Bugs me a little more when people over-represent somewhere they aren’t from (often above where they’re actually from) and sometimes have never even visited that place.. Irish or Mexican ancestry Americans for example - who were born in USA.

7/22/06
Remember when Pat Miletich was the Croatian Sensation?
22 days ago
10/17/13
Pokanghoya - Remember when Pat Miletich was the Croatian Sensation?

That’s a nickname not a flag, plus American doesn’t rhyme with sensation. They should carry the American Flag.
22 days ago
9/19/13

Where you are born is where your genetics are rooted. It's literally WITHIN YOU TO REPRESENT IT.

22 days ago
2/3/10

Maybe ufc can use a 2 flag system from now on after this thread.

22 days ago
1/1/01

It’s what means the most to them. Never once had a problem with it.

22 days ago
3/13/02

Seeds of tribalism. The thing that destroyed or is currently destroying the country they are representing (but werent actually raised in most cases). Pretty ironic

22 days ago
10/8/08
they should rep the country that provided them opportunity
22 days ago
11/16/19
RocknRolla - they should rep the country that provided them opportunity

They should rep whoever they want. If they want to come out with the flag of Oz and talk about the yellow brick road, I don't give a fuck. 

22 days ago
12/24/10

I agree with OP- Usman should go back to Nigera if he is so proud of it or any other immigrant that pulls that shit. This great country gives immigrants a life and a way to excel and achieve  dreams. Yet it is the flag of the country you left you choose to rep - fuck off. If you live in America you should rep it.

22 days ago
7/16/13

Izzy does a good job representing both countries imo. Usman is cringey when he does his fake Nigerian accent and acts like Marty from Nebraska never happened. 

Overall they should represent wherever they acquired their skills since that's what brought them to the dance. But as others have said, there's nothing wrong with them being proud of their roots. 

Miocic is a good example of that. Clearly proud of his parents' home country, but lives and breathes Cleveland 

22 days ago
9/15/16

The Mexican American fighters use it as gimmick in hopes of tapping into the Latin American market. Never really works, Mexico won’t accept a Cain like they will a canelo 

22 days ago
3/26/13
RedGone -

I don’t see any problem with it. Rep where you came from if you want. It’s fine. Bugs me a little more when people over-represent somewhere they aren’t from (often above where they’re actually from) and sometimes have never even visited that place.. Irish or Mexican ancestry Americans for example - who were born in USA.

Yea If you weren’t born in Ireland You are not Irish 

22 days ago
5/15/15
Jakkary -

The Mexican American fighters use it as gimmick in hopes of tapping into the Latin American market. Never really works, Mexico won’t accept a Cain like they will a canelo 

How about he gets a Mexican tattoo like Rey Mysterio lol 

22 days ago
9/8/13
Jakkary -

I am Mexican with family in Mexico. Yes they accept Cain 100%. In fact they love him over there but boxing is way bigger in Mexico. it’s no gimmick . 

OP is a jackass who gives a shit about things that do not remotely have anything to do with him and needs a life. But it’s whatever , not trying to change minds just been drinking in bed while the family is sleeping watching the crown on Netflix . Yes I am also a loser . 

21 days ago
6/26/17
raging_rick86 -
Jakkary -

I am Mexican with family in Mexico. Yes they accept Cain 100%. In fact they love him over there but boxing is way bigger in Mexico. it’s no gimmick . 

OP is a jackass who gives a shit about things that do not remotely have anything to do with him and needs a life. But it’s whatever , not trying to change minds just been drinking in bed while the family is sleeping watching the crown on Netflix . Yes I am also a loser . 

So... you’re American?

21 days ago
7/10/19

Tell that to the millions of Yanks pretending to be Irish

21 days ago
9/8/13
papa pump -
raging_rick86 -
Jakkary -

So... you’re American?

Well of course I am. Mexico is part of North America ....so I am American . 
Born in Mexico and raised in The United States. I rock both flags. NBD. 
Some fighters come to other countries for a better opportunity which some countries don’t have, doesn’t mean they are being disrespectful because they waive their native flag. It just that they are proud where they come from.  I just don’t get why anyone would have an issue . If a fighter from Ireland and a fighter from Mexico fight and train in the states, why would anyone be mad that they don’t waive the United States flag. I am sure they are great full to be here. They aren’t exactly fighting a national war. In the words of the great Shaub, for sure calm down 

21 days ago
9/13/11

Stipe wore CroCop shorts before Reebok didn’t he?

21 days ago
3/13/17
phatcat - 

I agree with OP- Usman should go back to Nigera if he is so proud of it or any other immigrant that pulls that shit. This great country gives immigrants a life and a way to excel and achieve  dreams. Yet it is the flag of the country you left you choose to rep - fuck off. If you live in America you should rep it.

America is a country built by immigrants and most people are have diverse backgrounds. People are proud of where their ancestors came from. That's pretty normal. Also, America is a free country. People can rep whatever flag they want. If you live in America, you should shut the fuck up about what flags people rep.

21 days ago
2/14/14

I think if you’re a citizen of a country ... you carry that country flag... if not GTFO 

21 days ago
5/26/14
MrWizzykin67 -
RocknRolla - they should rep the country that provided them opportunity

They should rep whoever they want. If they want to come out with the flag of Oz and talk about the yellow brick road, I don't give a fuck. 

That's what we like about you boss