UnderGround Forums Why do we still call it “Brazilian” Jiu jitsu?

12/2/20 12:48 PM
1/1/01

the link posted shows each country’s interpretation of judo. They incorporate their own grips, strategy and philosophy. Brazilian judo is very different to Mongolian judo but it is still judo.

If you have been training BJJ since 1993, a lot has changed since UFC 2. From eddies rubber guard to the imahari roll, many of these new techniques weren’t even created in Brazil so why call it Brazilian?A lot of these techniques were established in America, therefore it should be considered American jiu jitsu. A lot of these American jiu jitsu schools are moving towards leg locks which is frowned upon in BJJ.

just like the video I posted, there is no disrespect towards Brazil but it is silly not to acknowledge the different of jiu jitsu. Looking at how khabib triangled gaetche, it was very reminiscent of Russian judo that emphasized power and conditioning rather than leverage and timing in Brazil, therefore I would call that Russian jiu jitsu or sambo.

At what point does it stop being Brazilian and something else? Should we call it American Brazilian jiu jitsu (which I think is stupid)?

12/2/20 12:51 PM
12/22/10

Grappling or submission grappling is a good generic name for it.  It's called BJJ in most places because of the belt.

12/2/20 1:04 PM
2/17/03

There are rules for international judo. It's an Olympic sport. That's what most people mean when they say judo.

Similarly, internationally, when people say "wrestling" they almost always mean Greco or Free If you want to discuss traditional Indian mud wrestling, you specify; American folk you specify; Japanese sumo, you specify.

Hell, as Judom has said on this forum before, apparently in the Caucasus, it's all wrestling: you judo wrestle, sambo wrestle, free wrestle, etc.

12/2/20 1:14 PM
12/28/14
2buff -

the link posted shows each country’s interpretation of judo. They incorporate their own grips, strategy and philosophy. Brazilian judo is very different to Mongolian judo but it is still judo.

If you have been training BJJ since 1993, a lot has changed since UFC 2. From eddies rubber guard to the imahari roll, many of these new techniques weren’t even created in Brazil so why call it Brazilian?A lot of these techniques were established in America, therefore it should be considered American jiu jitsu. A lot of these American jiu jitsu schools are moving towards leg locks which is frowned upon in BJJ.

just like the video I posted, there is no disrespect towards Brazil but it is silly not to acknowledge the different of jiu jitsu. Looking at how khabib triangled gaetche, it was very reminiscent of Russian judo that emphasized power and conditioning rather than leverage and timing in Brazil, therefore I would call that Russian jiu jitsu or sambo.

At what point does it stop being Brazilian and something else? Should we call it American Brazilian jiu jitsu (which I think is stupid)?

For the same reason we still call it "Chinese Food"

12/2/20 2:11 PM
1/1/01

Most people I know just called it Jiu-Jitsu now.

12/2/20 2:16 PM
6/9/09
Kirik -

Most people I know just called it Jiu-Jitsu now.

same

12/2/20 3:29 PM
9/20/19

Quincy has risen. 

12/2/20 3:31 PM
5/11/08

My guess is probably to distinguish it from Japanese Jiu Jitsu

12/2/20 3:32 PM
6/7/05
I think its because what BJJ became and what is now practiced most frequently was evolved in Brazil based on the influence of some Japanese jiu jitsu guy that the Gracies learned from and worked with in Brazil, no? I mean, that's the story I was told, unless it was made up to make the Gracies look cooler. Not sure that its reasonable to pretend that most JJ practiced is derived from what the Gracies made popular in the US.
12/2/20 3:55 PM
5/8/20

It should be called Kosen Judo! 

12/2/20 3:57 PM
8/2/11

Because the Brazilians adapted and popularised it in the form we largely know today

12/2/20 4:52 PM
1/1/01
It would have been called Gracie jiu jitsu but the gracies got greed and wouldnt let anyone else use the name
12/2/20 5:22 PM
2/3/10

Just call it jitz

12/2/20 5:26 PM
1/1/01
MMApurist -

My guess is probably to distinguish it from Japanese Jiu Jitsu

American jiu jitsu is different from Brazilian jiu jitsu

12/2/20 5:29 PM
1/1/01
ThatsHowIRoll -

Because the Brazilians adapted and popularised it in the form we largely know today

And Americans added onto that system with a completely different methodology and strategy making it uniquely distinct

12/2/20 5:31 PM
1/1/01
CindyDanoisstrikingcoach -

It should be called Kosen Judo! 

Handa or Tanabe jiu-jitsu would be more correct, they're who would mop the floor with the kodokan in those duel meets. Almost all the newaza in jiudo comes from handa and tanabe.

12/2/20 5:31 PM
1/1/01
sadic1 - I think its because what BJJ became and what is now practiced most frequently was evolved in Brazil based on the influence of some Japanese jiu jitsu guy that the Gracies learned from and worked with in Brazil, no? I mean, that's the story I was told, unless it was made up to make the Gracies look cooler. Not sure that its reasonable to pretend that most JJ practiced is derived from what the Gracies made popular in the US.

Lots of new attacks and strategies were created in America making it American jiu jitsu.

it shouldn’t be called Brazilian at this point...

12/2/20 5:32 PM
8/15/07
Because you touch yourself at night, OP.
12/2/20 5:33 PM
1/1/01

it will be interesting to watch the spread of the venom in real time, the thread slowly contracting until it rolls to its back deader than charles nelson reilly

12/2/20 5:37 PM
1/1/01
theKid82 - 
2buff -

For the same reason we still call it "Chinese Food"

I like this answer the best so far

12/2/20 5:51 PM
7/12/03
2buff - 

IMO its a mistake to base it on individual techniques. its true many techniques were added to the art by people in other countries but the essence of the art which focused on ground fighting is what makes it BJJ and not JJJ or Judo. Judo and JJJ focus on the standup and throws and the ground fight/ submissions are secondary.

12/2/20 5:59 PM
10/17/13
When posting on here, I type BJJ because when I saw the UFC 1-4 on tape in 94’ that’s what they called it. When I describe some of my background or what my son does, I simply say Jiu Jitsu.
12/2/20 6:13 PM
3/26/13
2buff -

Btw no disrespect but I’m the only one thinks there’s too much egos involved in BJJ communities?

12/2/20 7:41 PM
9/20/19
sadic1 - I think its because what BJJ became and what is now practiced most frequently was evolved in Brazil based on the influence of some Japanese jiu jitsu guy that the Gracies learned from and worked with in Brazil, no? I mean, that's the story I was told, unless it was made up to make the Gracies look cooler. Not sure that its reasonable to pretend that most JJ practiced is derived from what the Gracies made popular in the US.

The Gracies sold jiu jitsu. They didn’t invent shit. 

12/2/20 8:37 PM
1/1/01
pcuzz -
2buff - 

IMO its a mistake to base it on individual techniques. its true many techniques were added to the art by people in other countries but the essence of the art which focused on ground fighting is what makes it BJJ and not JJJ or Judo. Judo and JJJ focus on the standup and throws and the ground fight/ submissions are secondary.

Is Eddie bravos jiu jitsu, American jiu jitsu or Brazilian jiu jitsu?