UnderGround Forums Why don't fighters just stop glove touches?

7/14/19 11:28 AM
1/1/01
They can already have the option of touching gloves when the ref bring them to the center before the fight begins if this gesture is really necessary to show mutual respect.

But after it begins, what's the point? Too many cases where one guy thought he was obligated to touch gloves and gets hit with a spinning back kick or worse. It's a dumb disadvantage to the one guy who thinks he's obligated to touch gloves. Happened with Rickson's opponent in a Pride event. And it interferes with long range techniques such as the long distance (i.e. Masvidal-Askren) flying knee.
7/14/19 11:34 AM
2/23/19

*touches gloves*

Nothing personal, kid

*Teleports behind you*

7/14/19 11:38 AM
10/8/08
could be worst...could be like bjj
7/14/19 11:44 AM
7/14/16

"Protect yourself at all times..." 

Fighters know the rules, and they know the possible consequences for ignoring that one. If they want to put themselves at risk for the sake of sportsmanship, that is on them. 

7/14/19 11:57 AM
1/1/01
FatBuddha - They can already have the option of touching gloves when the ref bring them to the center before the fight begins if this gesture is really necessary to show mutual respect.

But after it begins, what's the point? Too many cases where one guy thought he was obligated to touch gloves and gets hit with a spinning back kick or worse. It's a dumb disadvantage to the one guy who thinks he's obligated to touch gloves. Happened with Rickson's opponent in a Pride event. And it interferes with long range techniques such as the long distance (i.e. Masvidal-Askren) flying knee.

The touch glove ritual had nothing to do with the Masvidal KO

7/14/19 1:01 PM
1/24/16

It's just a habit from training. it's also an interesting part of the fight to see their demeanor change right after

7/14/19 1:20 PM
2/15/06
I don't care for it because it has a just sparring type of feel. I want these guys to come out fighting, not sparring.

Can't they wave off glove touches ahead of time?
7/14/19 1:36 PM
4/22/07

I hate them,  seems like more fights may start with crazy flying knees etc without them

Edited: 7/14/19 2:15 PM
1/1/01
StrikingMMA - I don't care for it because it has a just sparring type of feel. I want these guys to come out fighting, not sparring.

Eh, I get it. Yes they are trying to hurt each other of course, but it’s still a sport, a competition. In most major sports the captains and players bullshit and shake hands before and during the game. I’m OK with it, but sure, just stay on guard. And if the opponent doesn’t want to. It’s not disrespectful either, just a choice not to.

7/14/19 2:16 PM
7/22/06
I agree. I think part of being a professional fighter is knowing when it's all business. Be cordial after the fight if you like.
7/14/19 2:19 PM
4/27/08
"Blah blah blah blah blah Masvidal Askren flying knee late strikes butthurt blah blah blah blah blah"

- A typical FatBuddha thread. Get over it already.
7/14/19 2:26 PM
4/6/12

If they want to touch gloves let them touch gloves, if not, it’s up to the fighter to deduce the other fighter’s intent, if the bell has rung to start the round it’s part of the game. Leave it alone.

7/14/19 2:26 PM
12/29/10

correct me if I'm wrong but the fighters aren't brought to the middle if it is not co-main or main event, right? Not all fighters get a chance to touch before the fight starts.

7/14/19 2:34 PM
7/15/04

I watch a shit ton of MMA and a fighter losing a fight off a glove touch is so exceedingly rare compared to the number of fights put on that it is a negligible number. You are more likely to get hit by lightning.

Nothing wrong with a glove touch. Just showing some respect and that you will have a good fight.

7/14/19 4:43 PM
5/11/05

I never liked to touch gloves.

7/14/19 4:46 PM
1/23/06
grandchampion - 

7/14/19 4:47 PM
7/24/12

The ref only brings them to the  center in main events and title fights for some reason. In all/most other fights the ref doesn't bring them to the center.

7/14/19 4:48 PM
2/23/19
grandchampion -

Any particular reason why? Just to stay focused? Not wanting to get too friendly or familiar? I find it interesting from the perspective of someone that's done it/felt it.

7/14/19 4:55 PM
5/11/05

Because I want to take you out in the very first engagement, not touch your dirty booger fingers. 

7/14/19 4:56 PM
1/1/01
Samoa - 
FatBuddha - They can already have the option of touching gloves when the ref bring them to the center before the fight begins if this gesture is really necessary to show mutual respect.

The touch glove ritual had nothing to do with the Masvidal KO

Huh?
7/14/19 4:57 PM
1/1/01
Herring in a Fur Coat - "Blah blah blah blah blah Masvidal Askren flying knee late strikes butthurt blah blah blah blah blah"

- A typical FatBuddha thread. Get over it already.

WTF? Lol. I DON'T want glove touches. I want to see MORE action like Masvidal's flying knee.
7/14/19 5:18 PM
2/15/06
Jason - 
StrikingMMA - I don't care for it because it has a just sparring type of feel. I want these guys to come out fighting, not sparring.

Eh, I get it. Yes they are trying to hurt each other of course, but it’s still a sport, a competition. In most major sports the captains and players bullshit and shake hands before and during the game. I’m OK with it, but sure, just stay on guard. And if the opponent doesn’t want to. It’s not disrespectful either, just a choice not to.

The thing is that the referee gives them the chance to glove touch right during introductions. Why not get it over with then and come out fighting.
7/14/19 5:26 PM
2/29/12

You dont have to understand why it happens. Plenty of guys touch gloves and put on amazing fights. You want to watch assholes fight watch prison fights. And I was sucker punched by an adult in my first fight I was 16 he was 26. When I fight I put my heart and soul out there. And I respect my opponent and my sport. I touched gloves in my pro debut and knocked my opponent out in 27 seconds with one punch. I fought pre sanctioning. When this whole deal wasnt respected as a sport. It's nice to see it and hope to see it more.

7/14/19 5:29 PM
2/23/19
grandchampion -

Because I want to take you out in the very first engagement, not touch your dirty booger fingers. 

In my case, you'd be right about the boogers. 

Appreciate the response. Makes all the sense in the world.

7/14/19 6:30 PM
7/15/04
God Of Thunder -
TexDeuce -

I watch a shit ton of MMA and a fighter losing a fight off a glove touch is so exceedingly rare compared to the number of fights put on that it is a negligible number. You are more likely to get hit by lightning.

Nothing wrong with a glove touch. Just showing some respect and that you will have a good fight.

But it’s a fight why do they need to show respect? They are going out there trying to hurt each other as bad as possible 

Because it is a sporting competition with rules. Doesn't matter if it a game of one on one basketball or MMA. Showing respect to your opponent and wanting to have a good match or fight is common with most normal and sane people. 

Doesn't mean you have to. And of course some sporting competitions have bad blood with no respect shown. But nothing wrong with it either.