UnderGround Forums Why is BJJ a thing for adults, but not Wrestling?

8/22/20 8:16 AM
2/9/09

Why aren't there more Wrestling for adults available who have never trained? But BJJ does fine with adult first timers? 

8/22/20 8:26 AM
2/24/11

Singlets

8/22/20 8:32 AM
2/9/09
GrindOnLine -

Singlets

Wear shorts and a T like most wrestling practice 

8/22/20 8:38 AM
2/18/20

Men wrestle.

Lady-boys do BJJ.

It's quite simple.

8/22/20 8:40 AM
9/10/11

Wrestling practices are brutal, lots of throws/ getting tossed for endless repetions. Up/down over and over.  I’m sure there is a lower impact way to do it for adults but my 40+ body can’t handle it. BJJ is slower and less impact

8/22/20 8:44 AM
11/23/03

Wrestling is too hard, plain and simple 

8/22/20 8:54 AM
1/1/01

Same reason you see lots of adults jogging, but not many doing 200s.

8/22/20 9:00 AM
2/9/09
robcardno -

Wrestling practices are brutal, lots of throws/ getting tossed for endless repetions. Up/down over and over.  I’m sure there is a lower impact way to do it for adults but my 40+ body can’t handle it. BJJ is slower and less impact

Adults do Judo though? 

8/22/20 9:02 AM
1/1/01

Most men who wrestle do it in middle school and high school and that is it. A smaller number do it from age five or six and then through college as well. Very few men wrestle after college.

You have to get the bug to compete in it as a kid or teen.

Nobody would just want to start doing something so tough at age 22 or 23 let alone 33. Even if you want to start wrestling as an adult... wrestling is in the school systems and MMA gyms.

Its not like you can walk down the street and find somewhere random 25 year olds go to wrestle on Friday night. Its not pickup basketball or corn hole.

8/22/20 9:10 AM
1/1/01
robcardno - 

Agree.
8/22/20 9:18 AM
10/11/05

Because maintaining a set of bleachers is too costly without a basketball team's fan support.

8/22/20 9:20 AM
10/11/05

"Its not like you can walk down the street and find somewhere random 25 year olds go to wrestle on Friday night. Its not pickup basketball or corn hole."

He's asking us to explain *why* there is no market, not reiterate *that* there is no market.

Edited: 8/22/20 9:52 AM
10/11/05

Also:

"Nobody would just want to start doing something so tough at age 22 or 23 let alone 33."

FWIW I made an attempt in my late 20s as a relatively new BJJ recruit, but couldn't find anyone to take my money.

8/22/20 10:03 AM
2/9/09
BJ Penn Forever -

Most men who wrestle do it in middle school and high school and that is it. A smaller number do it from age five or six and then through college as well. Very few men wrestle after college.

Nobody would just want to start doing something so tough at age 22 or 23 let alone 33. Even if you want to start wrestling as an adult... wrestling is in the school systems and MMA gyms.

Its not like you can walk down the street and find somewhere random 25 year olds go to wrestle on Friday night. Its not pickup basketball or corn hole.

But you can find people who want to do Judo, Boxing, BJJ (and compete) at 25+...

8/22/20 10:28 AM
8/10/07

OP my experience might tell you why.  In my 30s I tried to find a wrestling or group, and eventually found one at a local college that did intramural wrestling but also had some wrestling enthusiasts, mostly younger (high school age).   At literally the SECOND session I went to, a 16 year old threw me and I broke my wrist.  Most of us are just not cut out for the brute physical impact after 30.   

8/22/20 12:10 PM
1/18/04
robcardno - 

Wrestling is simply a much harsher sport. I wrestled competitively as a youth, and that would be impossible for me to keep up with as an adult.

JJ has way less emphasis on the takedown, and that takes away alot of the impact.

Also, the vast majority of wrestlers are actively competing in live tournaments every weekend of the season, with 1-2 duals per week.

The vast majority of BJJers are training and not actively competing in tournaments, and you'd have to be a madman to try and compete in tournaments every weekend.

8/22/20 12:31 PM
2/17/03
Son of Neckbone - 
robcardno - 

Wrestling is simply a much harsher sport. I wrestled competitively as a youth, and that would be impossible for me to keep up with as an adult.

JJ has way less emphasis on the takedown, and that takes away alot of the impact.

Also, the vast majority of wrestlers are actively competing in live tournaments every weekend of the season, with 1-2 duals per week.

The vast majority of BJJers are training and not actively competing in tournaments, and you'd have to be a madman to try and compete in tournaments every weekend.

Yes.

Wrestling can only be learned when trained for competition. Competition training is mentally and physically difficult. Wrestling is my first love and the most important thing I've ever done, but it's not "fun."

Some adults learn wrestling. But it's almost always for the purpose of competition. BJJ can genuinely be fun and it can be authentically learned without requiring competition or unbelievably taxing training.

Edited: 8/22/20 12:52 PM
7/27/04
BJ Penn Forever -

I got hooked on folk age 22.local junior college had and been training nogi BJJ then,wanted to learn takedowns and was expecting to dominate during mat wrestling and to my surprise I was being controlled and destroyed with no hooks etc.been in love with folk since.

Wrestling should market it as a martial art or something,there's got to be a market for it.i assume most are scared of trying it with no experience.but If they open up begginer,linked it to UFC and WWE to market it.

8/22/20 1:00 PM
7/20/04
The way it's done in the US is not for adults; it's brutal. You can blame Iowa for that.

In many former Soviet countries, wrestling is very much trained as a game, much less intensely, up until age 14 or so. Maybe, just maybe, an adult could tolerate a more 'game' based approach but it would have to be very different games than what are used with children.
8/22/20 1:16 PM
1/1/01

Good bjj incorporates wrestling. 

Edited: 8/23/20 3:00 AM
7/15/04

Tougher practice, harder on the body, and to most people not as fun as doing BJJ.

I saw someone mention judo. I love judo but tapped out a couple years ago in my early 30's after hurting my knee. I really liked it and could have gone back but honestly I was concerned about the impact my body was taking especially my back and neck. 

Higher risk of blowing out my knee as well. So back to just BJJ. I stopped MMA training in my late 20's. Just do boxing and BJJ now sadly. And BJJ now has me concerned with a lot of people I know with wrecked or chronically bad backs, necks, and knees.

In my 20's I thought I was invincible (and I was, bouncing back from everything quickly with no issues). Now the mortality of my own body has entered the picture for the first time.

Edited: 8/22/20 4:23 PM
1/1/01
TexDeuce -

Tougher practice, harder on the body, and to most people not as fun as doing BJJ.

I saw someone mention judo. I love judo but tapped out a couple years ago in my early 30's after hurting my knee. I really liked it and could have gone back but honestly I was concerned about the impact my body was taking especially my back and neck. 

Higher risk of blowing out my knee as well. So back to just BJJ. I stopped MMA training in my late 20's. Just do boxing and BJJ now sadly. And BJJ now has me concerned with a lot of people I know with wrecked or chronically bad backs, necks, and knees.

In my 20's I thought I was invincible. Now the mortality of my own body has entered the picture for the first time.

Judo is hell on the body. I've changed the way I train bjj but I still get after it, just not like I did in my 20s. You have to train smarter as you get older to maintain longevity.  Still train with very big, strong and athletic animals and  hit throws/get thrown but its really a different game I'm playing now vs my younger days.

I think if I ever get too old or fucked up to roll I'll probably work on getting my bb in krav. I'll always train in some way.  I work a lot of judo and wrestling into my bjj curriculum.  

8/22/20 4:27 PM
1/1/01

The things wrestling demands on ones body to be performed on a proficient level is much more demanding than in BJJ. Its easier to control someone or grab onto a gi than to grab and control a sweaty limb.

Edited: 8/22/20 4:36 PM
1/1/01

I think the main difference is marketing.

The Gracies came here with a compelling story they "sold" to the American public through the UFC & martial arts magazines. It was "exotic" and "new" and they showed that it worked, more or less, as claimed.

Then, largely through Rorion at first, the Gracies paved the way for a bunch of other Brazilians to come here and take over the MA scene and open commercial schools.

Oddly, BJJ & MMA have made wrestling MORE popular again.

It's certainly easier to find an adult wrestling class today, usually at an MMA gym, than it was when I was in High school.

When I wrestled in H.S. --right before the Gracies became a thing-- Wrestling was less popular than today.
Edited: 8/22/20 4:40 PM
11/10/18
Choked72 - The way it's done in the US is not for adults; it's brutal. You can blame Iowa for that.

In many former Soviet countries, wrestling is very much trained as a game, much less intensely, up until age 14 or so. Maybe, just maybe, an adult could tolerate a more 'game' based approach but it would have to be very different games than what are used with children.

The soviets old training sty1e is far superior in wrestling and weight lifting. Much more of a scientific and evidence based approach that focuses on technique and repetition. In general, we train like retards in the US.