UnderGround Forums Why isn’t Stipe more popular?

10 days ago
2/9/09

Longest winning HW, KO power/exciting style, firefighter/blue collar worker. Etc

10 days ago
2/4/07
Not fighting for over a year doesn't help
Edited: 10 days ago
9/24/18

Not much personality/charisma .. that’s what it really comes down to in the end 

10 days ago
1/12/05

He mumbles and doesn't talk trash, and if he did talk trash, no one would understand him.

12/4/18

Interviewer: hey Stipe why are you not more popular with fans? 

Stipe: Umm argal bargal garbal bargal garbal bargal 

10 days ago
5/22/17
Bobby Lupo -

He mumbles and doesn't talk trash, and if he did talk trash, no one would understand him.

Aaargghhwahghh

10 days ago
10/9/10

I like him but sometimes he gets into these moods or whatever, because for a period of time he does nothing but complain about some shit. 

Not just the DC rematch, he’s been like that for as long as I can remember. Seems like a good guy but he sure does complain a lot. Nobody likes a complainer. 

10 days ago
3/5/14

He seems like a good dude, but he never seems to have anything much to say that interests anyone.  Obviously shit talking sells these days, but there are guys who don't shit talk and are just entertaining to listen to or are good at hyping fights even without shit talking.  He doesn't really seem that eager or good at promoting himself in a way that gets people excited to watch his fights I guess.

10 days ago
10/4/03
Needs a mohawk.
10 days ago
8/20/03

10 days ago
4/13/15

He has a lot of personality, and you actually can understand him fine but you just need to find videos like this most recent embedded where he is doing natural things like going to the flea market or playing cards with his friends.  He doesn’t do well talking to the camera which is where he sounds like a Wookiee 

10 days ago
8/20/03

10 days ago
7/14/16

I can't speak for everyone, but I will speak for me. He has never impressed me. Even on his "longest HW champ streak" I never felt he was the best in the world. I feel like he stepped in at a time where the HW division was in a depression. The "names" he beat were guys who have already been on a downward slide and not at their best. He had no rival to push him. 

Cain could of/should of been the best in Stipe's era, but he couldn't stay healthy.  The only wins were I thought there was a true threat was Overeem, and everyone can agree Overeem was well past his best, and even still, not always 100% consistent when not roided to the gills. 

JDS has never been quite the same after 2/3's of the Cain trilogy. I think he got Francis just a little too early due to lack of people to fight. It's not Stipe's fault... he beat who was in front of him... but he just doesn't have the personality to make ANY fight interesting. 

He needs a rival to push the fight. A villian to slay. 

I STILL think Lewis could have beat him, obviously DC did beat him, and a healthy Cain could have as well. I think had Brock returned, he even had a good chance. I think Jones moving up could have beat him as well.

To me, despite owning that streak, I felt Stipe was just a place holder waiting for a real champion to come along. 

He is still the guy that got beat by Struve. The JDS that he beat is a shell of the JDS that beat him. His only real impressive win to me was Hunt, and that is ONLY because Hunt is hard to KO. 

This is his time though... if he beats DC (even though DC is near the end) all of what I just said is erased. He will be the "longest reigning champ" returning from the ashes to reclaim his throne. Yes, people COULD say "Well DC was past his prime..." but, for me anyway, DC falls into another category. He was ALWAYS passed his prime, but still one of the greatest HW's EVER. If DC says he is still good to go, I will take him at his word. Some of these other guys have taken too much damage and SHOULD walk away... DC is just aging. If he feels good, he is good. 

So, if Stipe wants to win me over as a fan, he has 2 tasks... win the belt back, and for fucks sake STOP TURNING DOWN FIGHTS. I don't give a shit what you feel like you deserve... if you feel you are the best, prove it. I get that it's a business, but people are fans of the fighters, not the agents. 

10 days ago
11/16/17

Hes got the personality of fly paper

10 days ago
12/7/14

It's not the highest on the list, but I don't think the non-Americanized name on an all-American guy helps a lot.  People in the US feel a bit weird just saying his name.

It's kind of a silly example, but even Vince McMahon Sr. would have had trouble tuning 'Stipe Miocic' into a 'hardworking ethnic hero' like Bruno Sammartino or 'Polish Power' Ivan Putski (well, those names aren't necessariiy 'Americanized' either but we've been used to Italian names especially for generations, and those particular ones aren't awkward at all for an American of that generation.)   

Add that to the lack of interest in self-promotion and extreme lack of enunciation and you have someone who's not as popular as he sounds like he should be on paper.

10 days ago
3/28/16

I dont care for how much he complains, he acts like a drama queen at times. I also don't care for his style of fighting. I like champions who want to beat you at your own game. Stipe is capable of striking with anyone yet he would wrestle strikers. 

Like other posters I've never considered him the best and if he losses to DC again but gains the title back when DC retires the rest of his rein wilk be tarnished because everyone will call it the paper belt because he is only champion because DC retired which I find funny. 

10 days ago
3/6/07

He’s dorky. Tries to be funny but isn’t. 

Its just who he is. 

10 days ago
7/15/04

He doesn't speak English

10 days ago
1/5/11
Jones right nostril -

Not much personality/charisma .. that’s what it really comes down to in the end 

12/4/18
TexDeuce -

He doesn't speak English

immigrant mentality Joey Diaz was talking about 

10 days ago
1/12/05
Boom Boom Mancino - 

It's not the highest on the list, but I don't think the non-Americanized name on an all-American guy helps a lot.  People in the US feel a bit weird just saying his name.

It's kind of a silly example, but even Vince McMahon Sr. would have had trouble tuning 'Stipe Miocic' into a 'hardworking ethnic hero' like Bruno Sammartino or 'Polish Power' Ivan Putski (well, those names aren't necessariiy 'Americanized' either but we've been used to Italian names especially for generations, and those particular ones aren't awkward at all for an American of that generation.)   

Add that to the lack of interest in self-promotion and extreme lack of enunciation and you have someone who's not as popular as he sounds like he should be on paper.

This is true. If he was the same guy, but couldn't be understood because he was from Croatia, fans would care more about him. If he was Brazilian, fans would care more about him.

He's a Midwestern fireman with a cool name who knocks dudes out. The fact that the UFC can't get him over says more about them as promoters than him as a fighter. 

10 days ago
11/9/18

I used to like Stipe but he played a serious bitch move after the Cormier fight. He should have fought his way back, instead he complained and acted entitled.

10 days ago
12/4/18

If he keeps Dc at a distance he can win 

10 days ago
7/10/02
He's obviously skilled, has many KOs... yet is unspectacular. Like his KOs are too efficient, while other KO artists look as brutal doing it as the results are. Weird.

10 days ago
2/19/18

needs to change his name to Steve