UnderGround Forums Will BKFC sustain?

Edited: 6/23/19 1:06 PM
5/17/08

They're basically targeting ex-UFC guys for recognition and exposure, and paying a few people at the top of the cards well (consistent with many orgs). But i don't get what their long term vision is. They'll never get huge until people choose bare knuckle over mma & boxing, and even then, they're mostly targeting boxers since grapplers / wrestlers will gi into MMA. Is this just a "make money while we can" org or do you think they're actually trying to establish something bigger?  I can't see people consistently paying $20-40 for events and you're not going to get many bars buying this sort of thing, at least for awhile.

6/23/19 1:08 PM
12/22/18

Its way better than the ufc.

6/23/19 1:22 PM
1/22/05
I quite enjoyed the fights. It has a sort of fresh vibe about it.

They need to maintain bigger names on their shows though and try lure some more pro boxers into it.
6/23/19 1:23 PM
8/20/03

A lot of truth in this thread.

6/23/19 1:35 PM
1/26/08

I enjoy it and hope they get more boxers to come join them.

6/23/19 1:39 PM
2/5/11
Otlwgt - I was more hyped for Artem vs Paulie then I have been over a fight in years except maybe Wilder vs Fury...

I'd rather see guys I know like Leben and Riggs then a bunch of no names that flood the UFC nowadays... Regardless if they are considered washed up or not, they were guys I grew up watching.. Not Yair Rodeiguex or Renato Moviano...

I only knew 1 fighter on the last UFC and that was Korean Zombie...

Bare Knuckle is putting on some great fights IMO... I hope they get more fighters from boxing and MMA...

Nailed it.

6/23/19 2:40 PM
2/7/12

I sure hope they do. I haven’t been that entertained by the UFC in a long time. If they can keep getting the known guys to sign up, I for one will keep watching. 

It has a unique feel to it, it reminds me of watching old jack Dempsey fights. 

6/23/19 4:12 PM
1/1/01

Wish it was more kickboxing like Cambodian Lethwei I believe it's called? Overall a fun card though.

Edited: 6/23/19 4:26 PM
9/9/12

I was excited to tune in last night and glad I did. 

Even though Artem is an MMA can and Paulie is a retired boxer - the UG was buzzing last night after their fight. That's a big win for BKFC. 

Their events are packed with fights and don't go longer than 10 minutes. I really enjoyed their card. 

If they continue to put on fights with known names, they'll stick around for sure. They have a pool of MMA fighters and boxers to choose from. 

6/23/19 4:34 PM
1/22/05

I enjoyed it. It’s not worth $40 but I would pay $20 for it. 

6/23/19 4:46 PM
7/7/10
Otlwgt - I was more hyped for Artem vs Paulie then I have been over a fight in years except maybe Wilder vs Fury...

I'd rather see guys I know like Leben and Riggs then a bunch of no names that flood the UFC nowadays... Regardless if they are considered washed up or not, they were guys I grew up watching.. Not Yair Rodeiguex or Renato Moviano...

Bare Knuckle is putting on some great fights IMO... I hope they get more fighters from boxing and MMA...

pretty much this

the build up was amazing compared to anything UFC has done recently...

personallly i hope the sports sticks around and grows cause the current way UFC is going it sucks 

6/23/19 5:07 PM
7/16/08
Bukabuki -

Its way better than the ufc.

It's quite more exciting at times.

6/23/19 5:11 PM
12/11/04

Im a fan... They have been putting on interesting match ups. I'm looking forward to knight vs garcia 

6/23/19 6:01 PM
9/7/16

Conor Floyd really started a trend. Boxing vs MMA. Floyd vs Tenshin is another example. This Bare Knuckle Boxing piggy backs off of the hype. It gives the boxer and the MMA fighter a chance levels the playing field. Just hands, wraps to protect the wrist, exposed knuckles, no big gloves, the clinch dirty boxing. 

6/23/19 6:09 PM
3/20/12

I watched it over the MMA that was on

don't underestimate the just bleed part that is inside almost every MMA fan

6/23/19 6:10 PM
1/1/01
I was at the post fight presser last night. When the CEO was asked what's next for the company and can you top artem-paulie, he basically said, I don't know, and we're open to suggestions. So I don't know if he really has a grand vision for where they're going with this. He did say that we'll put on whatever the fans want, but that seems a bit like the tail wagging the dog. Here's what I taped of Paulie and Artem (placed it at the point where Pauile's goons yell that he lost the fight because I turned it to the goons then)
6/23/19 6:15 PM
12/5/15

I think theres a big fan base that prefers small gloves to no gloves striking. Has an appeal, but they also have to be careful how they market it so it doesnt look unprofessional.

Edited: 6/23/19 6:26 PM
1/23/06
Too much overhead. It has the novelty of a niche within a niche and can make it off of that initial push for awhile. Survives as long as the people financing it want to lose money or break even at best for. Once the writing is on the wall they'll have to close up shop like every mom and pop promotion that gets into combat sports overly ambitious. Who knows though, maybe they have billionaire backing.
6/23/19 6:29 PM
2/8/12

It’s 2020 in 6 months. We are talking about a society where everyone lives with their faces in their phone.  If BKFC can squeeze $40 bucks out of you they will.  They don’t seem too concerned with the future.  It’s all about right now.  

6/23/19 6:29 PM
10/24/10

More hyped for an Artem fight than others in years? Lolwut?

Moicano and Yair both have more fights in the UFC than Artem, and Yair also has a devastating highlight reel KO over The Korean Zombie. Settle down sir.

6/23/19 6:34 PM
1/23/06
ducks18 - 

It’s 2020 in 6 months. We are talking about a society where everyone lives with their faces in their phone.  If BKFC can squeeze $40 bucks out of you they will.  They don’t seem too concerned with the future.  It’s all about right now.  

Hey as long as some fighters get paid I'm all for it. I hope they do well. The odds are practically insurmountable though.
6/23/19 7:01 PM
5/17/08
CRE - Too much overhead. It has the novelty of a niche within a niche and can make it off of that initial push for awhile. Survives as long as the people financing it want to lose money or break even at best for. Once the writing is on the wall they'll have to close up shop like every mom and pop promotion that gets into combat sports overly ambitious. Who knows though, maybe they have billionaire backing.

this is sort of my thought as well.

To FatBuddha's point, the president doesn't seem to be the most savvy person (it's probably more him not being polished yet) and I get the feeling it's grown a bit faster than expected. This sounds like I'm dogging them but I do hope they survive. But "I don't know" isn't a great answer in this scenario when they should have a bigger vision. Even a "hey if you're a name and your contract is up, we'll make it worth your while" kind of answer would be better. 

A legit street fighter like Kimbo would be the perfect kind of personality to help their momentum continue.

6/23/19 8:31 PM
6/17/16

If they do it only so many times a year I think it will retain its novelty and not wear out its welcome.

If they blow up and start trying to do it twice a month or every weekend it will quickly lose its luster.

Right now most of the fights are fairly slopp and also 10 minutes with a ton of breaks just isn't enough time to get the job done.

If they can tighten up the fights and people adapt their games to the ruleset and it remains a sort of special occasion I think they could make a run at hanging around. I think if they focus more on periodic big fights with enough time to build them up properly they could have a good chance of making a lot of money selling PPVs.

6/23/19 8:59 PM
6/17/16
CRE - Too much overhead. It has the novelty of a niche within a niche and can make it off of that initial push for awhile. Survives as long as the people financing it want to lose money or break even at best for. Once the writing is on the wall they'll have to close up shop like every mom and pop promotion that gets into combat sports overly ambitious. Who knows though, maybe they have billionaire backing.

I would suspect with the venuse they are booking and the level of talent that they hire (both fighting and officials) that they probably have lower overhead than you might think.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made a good chunk of change off of this one.

6/23/19 9:14 PM
9/10/10

Ufc would be dead if it wasn't for espn