UnderGround Forums Woodley: I've accepted a fight vs. Covington

6/4/20 12:31 PM
1/1/01

Former UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley appeared recently on Ariel Helwani's MMA Show, and said he has been offered and accepted a fight vs. polarizing former ATT teammate Colby Covington.

“They offered me that fight, I told them I’m in,” said Woodley. “I mean, I just don’t want to talk a lot about Colby because Colby is an actor, man. I know what he is doing and it makes sense and it’s kind of fun to watch but, at the end of the day, Colby has turned me down five or six times. But I think after losing two fights back-to-back I think it may be a time he may accept it because he may think I’m down and out.”

“That was the first thing [the UFC] did [after the recent loss to [Gilbert Burns]. They wanted to see if I was alright then they offered me the fight against Colby. I told Malki [Kawa] to make sure you tell them today, yes. Don’t wait until tomorrow, tell them today yes. I got a contusion I’ve got to deal and I can’t fight anyway for 45 to 60 days because of the cut. I’ve been icing six, seven times a day, icing, ibuprofen, so I’ve been doing the right stuff. Fighting Colby right now is like fighting this race war. This brutality and just the unsettling climate of our culture. I’m just going to take it as that. So, they have offered me Colby and I once again have accepted again and we will see what happens.”

Covington appears to be more interested in fighting another ATT teammate, Jorge Masvidal, but it's believed that Masvidal will next fight division champion Kamaru Usman.

If Woodley vs. Covington happens, it will be a fourth time's a charm moment. When Covington won the interim belt, they were to fight, but Covington had nasal surgery, and was stipped of his belt, while Woodley fought Darren Till. Then the two were supposed to fight at in the Spring of 2019, but Covington reportedly wanted too high a purse. And then Covington called out Woodley for a short notice fight when the UFC was scrambling to make events during the early days of the COVID-19 global pandemic.

h/t Jed Meshew • MMA Fighting

6/4/20 12:34 PM
7/7/10

Woodly wants another L. 

6/4/20 12:47 PM
11/24/13

Colby tags him up, poor Tyron. He was plodding against Gilbert, won’t hold up to that volume.

6/4/20 12:50 PM
12/27/11

I think the opposite, that fighting Colby will fire him up and he’ll let his hands go and actually be aggressive.

Even with his last 2 timid performances I’d take Woodley over Colby.

6/4/20 12:50 PM
6/4/10

Really get the impression he had a lot to say about the riots / protests and wanted to use his platform after a win, makes me feel bad for him after suffering such a 1 sided defeat. 

6/4/20 12:55 PM
4/22/07
PrettyCoolGuy -

Really get the impression he had a lot to say about the riots / protests and wanted to use his platform after a win, makes me feel bad for him after suffering such a 1 sided defeat. 

In that case I am glad he lost. Damn good fighter, completely delusional human being.

6/4/20 12:58 PM
8/20/13

Yikes. Covington by 50-40 UD.

6/4/20 1:11 PM
1/24/17

I think this loss has made tyron hungrier. Why else would he take a fight against a guy like colby right now. Tyron still wants to fight.

If Tyron fought colby last saturday instead of burns, colby would have ran through him. Now Tyron got the comeback fight out of the way to shake off his ring rust, let's see what happens.

6/4/20 1:40 PM
6/14/12
The Immortal One -

I think this loss has made tyron hungrier. Why else would he take a fight against a guy like colby right now. Tyron still wants to fight.

If Tyron fought colby last saturday instead of burns, colby would have ran through him. Now Tyron got the comeback fight out of the way to shake off his ring rust, let's see what happens.

hmmmm.... he seemed to have "ring rust" against thompson x2, maia, usman, and burns. but yeah, im sure burns warmed him up. thats what usually happens to fighters after a one sided beatdown. totally restores their mindset and confidence and gets them right back on track.  

you must be an expensive psychologist. 

fight was prolly a work though. 

6/4/20 1:57 PM
4/25/11
Connorwinztharematch -
The Immortal One -

hmmmm.... he seemed to have "ring rust" against thompson x2, maia, usman, and burns. but yeah, im sure burns warmed him up. thats what usually happens to fighters after a one sided beatdown. totally restores their mindset and confidence and gets them right back on track.  

Right...    They are working fights to put Burns over.   

6/4/20 2:02 PM
6/14/12
cantuna4u -
Connorwinztharematch -
The Immortal One -

Right...    They are working fights to put Burns over.   

it was sarcasm chief.

6/4/20 3:11 PM
11/24/07

One of the few times I’ll be rooting for woodley. Assuming Colby even accepts. 

6/4/20 3:54 PM
11/30/11

"Fighting Colby right now is like fighting this race war. This brutality and just the unsettling climate of our culture. I’m just going to take it as that." lol wtf

6/4/20 3:54 PM
8/24/15

"Fighting Colby right now is like fighting this race war"? This guys a tool and hes racist. 

6/4/20 3:59 PM
9/27/15
This is bizarre, I have no desire to see Woodley "fight" Again anytime soon..there is literally no upside for Colby beside a paycheck in taking a fight with Woodley at this point..If Colby wins, oh well it's against a fading ex champion but if he loses then he lost to a guy that was just blown out twice

6/4/20 4:21 PM
8/31/10

Woodley can stick that boring ass tyle of his right up his ass if he thinks I'll waste my time tuning in to any of his fights ever again!

Of course I'll watch, but it still feels good to spit fire in a half truth!

6/4/20 4:55 PM
5/3/18

Nobody wins here. Woodley will get beat up bad and Covington won't gain any credibility for it, personal gain to shut him up is there though. 

6/4/20 6:41 PM
3/16/16
ons ear - This is bizarre, I have no desire to see Woodley "fight" Again anytime soon..there is literally no upside for Colby beside a paycheck in taking a fight with Woodley at this point..If Colby wins, oh well it's against a fading ex champion but if he loses then he lost to a guy that was just blown out twice

Colby hasnt fought since getting his jaw broken (his own words) and losing to the champ, couple that with his beef with Dana and i dont think they are in a hurry to make the rematch. Burns and Masvidal are both ahead of him for the title shot. 

Colby v Woodley would be great for all the real bad blood and shit talking that would arise.

6/4/20 6:50 PM
4/22/07
redruM14 -

"Fighting Colby right now is like fighting this race war"? This guys a tool and hes racist. 

If he said that then he is really a stupid person. I know he is a liar, but being an idiot is a whole different thing.

6/4/20 7:17 PM
11/19/19

For sure Tyron is a racist. He has become a horrible fighter looking for the single KO punch. Still, i hope he finds Kolby's chin.

6/4/20 7:37 PM
4/25/11
Connorwinztharematch -
The Immortal One -

Oh wow.   Frame it better.  It made you sound like a retard.

6/4/20 7:38 PM
9/27/15
Thuggnificent - 
ons ear - This is bizarre, I have no desire to see Woodley "fight" Again anytime soon..there is literally no upside for Colby beside a paycheck in taking a fight with Woodley at this point..If Colby wins, oh well it's against a fading ex champion but if he loses then he lost to a guy that was just blown out twice

Colby hasnt fought since getting his jaw broken (his own words) and losing to the champ, couple that with his beef with Dana and i dont think they are in a hurry to make the rematch. Burns and Masvidal are both ahead of him for the title shot. 

Colby v Woodley would be great for all the real bad blood and shit talking that would arise.

Yes but Colby gave the champion his toughest fight by far so why fight Woodley now? A Colby/Woodley fight is not going to sell well at this point especially with Woodley getting blown out twice..

Colby would be smarter to fight Wonderboy ..
6/4/20 7:56 PM
6/14/12
cantuna4u -
Connorwinztharematch -
The Immortal One -

whole post was sarcastic. excercise logic. 

Edited: 6/4/20 9:09 PM
1/24/17
Connorwinztharematch -
The Immortal One -

Woodley dropped Wonderboy in BOTH fights and hurt him bad in the first one, and was one punch from finishing him. He seemed to have ring rust in that one? lol.

Where was woodley's ring rust against Till? Funny how you left that one out.

Maia never took Woodley down a single time. He didn't do anything to Woodley.

Usman is the best WW on the planet right now.

Burns beat him fair and square, I just dont think taking over a year off is gonna do a 38 year old woodley any favors.

But I guess only Fedor gets old at age 30 right? Every other fighter gets old at 45? LMAO

Also, I thought you were gonna block me? Did you get over your temper tantrum? Good boy.

6/4/20 8:16 PM
1/24/17
cantuna4u -
Connorwinztharematch -
The Immortal One -

He doesn't have to try hard to sound like a retard.

Cause he is in fact, a retard.