UnderGround Forums Woodley unhappy with GSP

5/16/18 5:17 PM
2/15/06
RockTheVote - 

He's the champion. That's not up for debate. He's also defended his title multiple times. Not up for debate. But he fights so boring and conservative and he says this is what I had to do to beat that guy and now this is the penalty. Nobody who wants views wants to fight you. You made your bed now lie in it.

This

Take note, SCH.
5/16/18 5:27 PM
1/30/16

He’s not wrong.

Those talking about money fight, GSP versus anyone is a money fight especially a legit champ

5/16/18 5:51 PM
11/1/03
SinCityHustler - I have to side with GSP on this one. Like with Askren, he's not likely to beat Woodley either. He just does not have the same explosiveness and speed/endurance he had pre USADA. We all saw him vs Hendricks (under similar testing to USADA) and against Bisping, he just is not that super athlete we saw so many times in the cage prior. So what do you do if you're GSP? You very carefully pick your opponents and you don't pick opponents who are likely to beat you.

If I'm advising GSP, the 4 opponents he never faces are Askren, Woodley, Romero, Whittaker. At a time GSP was one of the best and that was the time to "take on all comers". Today's version of GSP isn't close to that. You continue to cherry pick what's best for you. That's what he should be doing.

Have to agree with this. GSP wouldn't fight Anderson Silva when both were at their peak, no way he takes on a fight that he probably looses. Woodly's getting trashed here but GSP would rather fight Diaz or Connor than Woodly.

5/16/18 6:49 PM
6/24/09

"Stick around."

5/16/18 7:53 PM
2/17/03
jpm995 - 
SinCityHustler - I have to side with GSP on this one. Like with Askren, he's not likely to beat Woodley either. He just does not have the same explosiveness and speed/endurance he had pre USADA. We all saw him vs Hendricks (under similar testing to USADA) and against Bisping, he just is not that super athlete we saw so many times in the cage prior. So what do you do if you're GSP? You very carefully pick your opponents and you don't pick opponents who are likely to beat you.

If I'm advising GSP, the 4 opponents he never faces are Askren, Woodley, Romero, Whittaker. At a time GSP was one of the best and that was the time to "take on all comers". Today's version of GSP isn't close to that. You continue to cherry pick what's best for you. That's what he should be doing.

Have to agree with this. GSP wouldn't fight Anderson Silva when both were at their peak, no way he takes on a fight that he probably looses. Woodly's getting trashed here but GSP would rather fight Diaz or Connor than Woodly.

I don't think you're implying that GSP should have fought Anderson, but whenever this is brought up, I have to remind people:

GSP didn't fight Silva.

Silva didn't fight Jones.

Jones didn't fight Cain.

(And they shouldn't have had to. They fought in their weight class. That's fine. But, this does mean props go to DC, BJ, and Conor).
5/16/18 8:00 PM
3/19/05
wiggum - 
jpm995 - 

I don't think you're implying that GSP should have fought Anderson, but whenever this is brought up, I have to remind people:

GSP didn't fight Silva.

Jones didn't fight Cain.

(And they shouldn't have had to. They fought in their weight class. That's fine. But, this does mean props go to DC, BJ, and Conor).

But was McGregor really "fighting up?" I'm not taking away from his accomplishment. What he did to Alvarez was remarkable. But he's a pretty decently-sized lightweight.

On the other hand, GSP is clearly much smaller than Anderson Silva considering Silva could have been a decent sized light heavyweight and had defeated guys in that division just as big if not a little bigger. GSP would have to put on massive size whereas Silva just wouldn't have to cut as much to fight at light heavy but STILL have to cut.
5/16/18 8:06 PM
2/17/03
ClydeErwinBarret - 
wiggum - 
jpm995 - 

GSP didn't fight Silva.

Jones didn't fight Cain.

But was McGregor really "fighting up?" I'm not taking away from his accomplishment. What he did to Alvarez was remarkable. But he's a pretty decently-sized lightweight.

On the other hand, GSP is clearly much smaller than Anderson Silva considering Silva could have been a decent sized light heavyweight and had defeated guys in that division just as big if not a little bigger. GSP would have to put on massive size whereas Silva just wouldn't have to cut as much to fight at light heavy but STILL have to cut.

I think that's a fair point. At the end of the day, though, Conor moved up a weight class to challenge the champ from the weight class up. But, there is the point that he was having trouble continuing to make the weight.

We saw in the Bisping fight, GSP was NEVER going to be a decent sized MW. And Anderson wasn't going to be a decent side LHW.
5/16/18 8:31 PM
1/1/01
wiggum - 
jpm995 - 

GSP didn't fight Silva.

Jones didn't fight Cain.

I complegtely agree here, none of those guys had to fight or should be made to fight. The guys who choose to do this, Henderson KO'd Fedor, beat Noguiera, KO'd Wand, Shogun, etc., those guys do it because it's in their heart and they want to prove they will fight anyone. I don't believe you penalize the others for refusing to do it, but when it comes time to give out credit to those who did it, you do so and you don't for those who chose to remain in the safe confines of their own weight class. Silva took out recent 205 champ (1 fight removed) Griffin. Penn took out Hughes. Conor took out Alvarez. Bisping may have had a bum knee, a blind eye, and 1 foot into retirement, but GSP went up and took him on. From a fans perspective it's a shame he refused to take on Romero or Whittaker, surrendering his belt instead of having to face them.
5/16/18 8:34 PM
8/12/16
ASAP NV -
Dashabox -

"Let me say this in a very educated way.."

When someone constantly talks a bout how smart they are it is usually because they are anything but. 

I know far more educated people that insist they are smart as opposed to uneducated. I guess it depends on where you live and who u spend time around. Woodley doesn't strike me as a guy that does not have an education.

An education, sure.  But an education does not mean you are smart IMO.

Most of my friends are engineers, teachers, doctors etc.  They don't tell people how smart they are, because people already know from their interactions with them, not from their credentials or educational background.  For the record I do know some doctors that I would describe as mildy stupid.  I wouldn't call myself smart either.  I just find that the people who constantly tell everyone how smart they are (Woodley) usually have an over-inflated view of their intelligence and/or insecurity of it.

5/16/18 8:45 PM
8/6/13

GSP has earned the right to do whatever he wants. 

Tyron should concentrate on doing the same thing. 

5/16/18 10:00 PM
9/18/02
RockTheVote -

He's the champion. That's not up for debate. He's also defended his title multiple times. Not up for debate. But he fights so boring and conservative and he says this is what I had to do to beat that guy and now this is the penalty. Nobody who wants views wants to fight you. You made your bed now lie in it.

This pretty much sums it up, but I think Woodley would be a nightmare matchup for GSP at this stage in their respective careers.

5/16/18 10:31 PM
1/21/14

Woodley is hilarious and partly retarded. GSP wanting to fight Woodley at this point in his career makes no sense. Nobody on earth looks forward or wants to see Woodley fight which in turn is not appealing $$$ wise for someone in GSP's situation. GSP wants big fights that people want to see, I don't think he even really cares about titles anymore.

I actually just looked back at some of GSP's fights which took me to his WIKI...fuck I forgot how great his resume is and how many great fighters he not only beat but dominated.

The fact he only lost twice against all those great fighters and avenged both losses in dominating fashion with finishes is amazing.

With everything that has happened to Jones and Anderson Silva's career with numerous steroid positive tests and Silva going 1-4-1 in last 6 fights there is absolutely no doubt now who the GOAT is. The quality of opponents Silva fought compared to GSP is not even close, it's not Silva's fault but GSP had far tougher competition for the most part.

Fedor was in talks as well but he has been beaten in every which way over the years once he started fighting the likes of Big Foot, Werdum, Mitrione and the much smaller Henderson although smaller size or not Henderson is a beast. I Give Fedor props for being such a small HW but he has a ton of cans on his resume with obviously some very tough opponents sprinkled in.

1. GSP

2. Fedor

3. Silva

5/16/18 10:33 PM
2/17/03
Y'all are acting like Woodley actually believes this.

He is trying to get a money fight. That's it.
5/16/18 11:19 PM
9/9/12
SinCityHustler -
wiggum - 
jpm995 - 

GSP didn't fight Silva.

Jones didn't fight Cain.

I complegtely agree here, none of those guys had to fight or should be made to fight. The guys who choose to do this, Henderson KO'd Fedor, beat Noguiera, KO'd Wand, Shogun, etc., those guys do it because it's in their heart and they want to prove they will fight anyone. I don't believe you penalize the others for refusing to do it, but when it comes time to give out credit to those who did it, you do so and you don't for those who chose to remain in the safe confines of their own weight class. Silva took out recent 205 champ (1 fight removed) Griffin. Penn took out Hughes. Conor took out Alvarez. Bisping may have had a bum knee, a blind eye, and 1 foot into retirement, but GSP went up and took him on. From a fans perspective it's a shame he refused to take on Romero or Whittaker, surrendering his belt instead of having to face them.

"Bisping may have had a bum knee, a blind eye, and 1 foot into retirement, but GSP went up and took him on"

GSP was retired, hasn't fought in 4 years, came off another ACL surgery, and moved up to fight Bisping in a weight class that he's never fought in before.

Try another strawman. 

5/16/18 11:28 PM
1/21/14
Mexican Janitor -
SinCityHustler -
wiggum - 
jpm995 - 

GSP didn't fight Silva.

Jones didn't fight Cain.

"Bisping may have had a bum knee, a blind eye, and 1 foot into retirement, but GSP went up and took him on"

GSP was retired, hasn't fought in 4 years, came off another ACL surgery, and moved up to fight Bisping in a weight class that he's never fought in before.

Try another strawman. 

LOL don't even give him the time of day, he is clearly trolling trying to get a rise out of people.

5/17/18 12:05 AM
1/1/01
KrisDonahoo - 
RockTheVote -

This pretty much sums it up, but I think Woodley would be a nightmare matchup for GSP at this stage in their respective careers.

I have to agree. Woodley is just way too strong. Hendricks tossed GSP around form pillar to post and Woodley is even more physical . He's kept all his physical attributes into USADA, GSP has not. We're talking an incredibly explosive guy who puts people in the hospital with some of his strikes Koscheck and Robbie come to mind. GSP has never seen anything like that, save perhaps Matt Serra.
5/17/18 4:45 AM
4/17/13

Tyron Woodley's autobiography "I'm Upset" is set to hit bookstore shelves later this month.

5/17/18 5:06 AM
3/2/11

Thanks for turning welterweight into an afterthought Woodley

Why the hell would anyone in a money fight game go anywhere near you. Sit and rot for all I care.

5/17/18 5:29 AM
4/14/13

OMG Dana pull another Yair Rodríguez and let Woodley go. Let him go to Belitor so Rory can smash him again.

GSP has earned the right to do what he wants at this point in his career.

5/17/18 7:16 AM
9/27/12

Funny if he really thinks gsp is dodging his boring ass

5/17/18 9:46 AM
2/24/07
Politically Incorrect - 
danybayamon23 -

He’s not wrong.

Those talking about money fight, GSP versus anyone is a money fight especially a legit champ

From the UFC perspective Tyron has put on stinker fights where he could have easily finished guys, why would they let him get the shine of the big draw. 

Even if Diaz loses to GSP he will raise his stock even bigger selling an even bigger third fight with Conor. It makes business sense. It gives GSP a chance to make weight and a much safer fight than Woodley. 

GSP could sell a million against almost anyone. They might be able to sell 2 million against Conor if he can fight at 155 successfully. 

Who should he have easily finished? Maia? Wonderboy? Those guys are typically easy to finish?

But agree GSP vs Conor would be huge. Not sure why they just don’t do that then. Conor isn’t champ. They can do it at any weight class right now
5/17/18 1:11 PM
5/7/08
FrontBroRian -
SinCityHustler - 
MattyJ - 

Hands down the biggest winger in MMA history, he can pick which contender deserves to fight him, yet GSP is the biggest bitch for not fighting him when it’s clear he’s back for entertaining money fights rather than to stay on top of a division 

Which contender did he pick that deserved to fight him? Thus far he's faced 2 guys who he didn't want to fight.

Don’t expect a response. This is your typical Woodley narrative but then they always disappear when you ask the obvious question.

He tries to pick his contenders, because he doesn't want to risk losing his belt. Same reason why he eventually fights those guys when the Baldfather tells him to, because otherwise it's bye bye belt and bye bye any shot at making good money. He knows he has no earning power without the belt

5/17/18 1:14 PM
2/24/07
MayorPirkle - 
FrontBroRian -
SinCityHustler - 
MattyJ - 

Hands down the biggest winger in MMA history, he can pick which contender deserves to fight him, yet GSP is the biggest bitch for not fighting him when it’s clear he’s back for entertaining money fights rather than to stay on top of a division 

Which contender did he pick that deserved to fight him? Thus far he's faced 2 guys who he didn't want to fight.

Don’t expect a response. This is your typical Woodley narrative but then they always disappear when you ask the obvious question.

He tries to pick his contenders, because he doesn't want to risk losing his belt. Same reason why he eventually fights those guys when the Baldfather tells him to, because otherwise it's bye bye belt and bye bye any shot at making good money. He knows he has no earning power without the belt

So he gives his opinion in the media but always fights whoever he’s offered, as evidenced by the fact he had 4 title fights in 12 months, and wanted a 5th in the next few months?

And that’s what you guys cry about?
5/17/18 1:21 PM
5/7/08
wiggum - Y'all are acting like Woodley actually believes this.

He is trying to get a money fight. That's it.

And for Christ's sake, this. When I see what he says, I say to myself "who is dumb enough to believe he really thinks like this?"

Then I log onto the UG...

Edited: 5/17/18 2:55 PM
7/4/11

Fact of the matter is GSP was in a continuous slide near the end of his career, and my favorite stat leading up to the Hendricks fight is that his three prior fights (Diaz/Condit/Shields) saw him eating more blows than ALL OF HIS PRIOR FIGHTS COMBINED. 

The guy knows he's no longer at the top of his game and he wants to either make money with fun fights, or manage some type of huge legacy fights. He's done being the company man and simply riding out the belt-defense grind. He did that for years and years, running a 30+ round win streak that was only snapped up when Shields blinded him with an eye poke, and it's obvious with his health and age that he's at a point where he can pick and choose, even better that he vacated his belts rather than hold them hostage. 

Beating connor, managing a LW drop and becoming the first ever three belt champ (even crazier than boxing since we're talking a range of 30lbs), or getting an easy payday with a gimme fight against Diaz to set up the aforementioned, record-breaking, and legendary 3 belt challenge are all far more lucrative and interesting offers than a Woodley fight. 

Sorry Woodley, you've really failed to set yourself up as an endearing hero or even engaging anti-hero. And I say that as someone with tremendous respect for his skills and abilities.