UnderGround Forums World Combat Championship

Edited: 2 days ago
1/1/06

A truly unique NHB event from 1995; an 8-man tournament held in one evening.  On one side of the bracket the grapplers, on the other side of the bracket the strikers - each competing under different rules that suited their >

I think the striking bracket had a limit to the amount of time you could spend on the ground, and you weren't allowed to use any submission holds.  I think the grappling side had no time limit on the ground at all.

The intention was to have the winner of the grappling bracket face the winner of the striking bracket in the final.

I think the fight we all wanted to see in the final was Renzo Gracie v Erik Paulson, unfortunately it was not to be.

Boxer, Kickboxer and Karateka, James Warring, emerged victorious from the striking bracket.  I think Warring, at 37 years old, showed tremendous stamina and natural fighting instincts.  Had he been younger when MMA/NHB became popular I think he could have been a major star.

Why does Phil Benedict appear twice below?  Well, he was the winning alternate and took the place of Bart Vale in his semi-final fight against Renzo.  Vale was unable to continue after a grueling fight against Mike Bitonio, which Vale won in just over 7 minutes.

If you enjoyed watching these fights from the past feel free to subscribe to my YouTube channel as I will be adding more whenever I can during my period of self-isolation and social distancing.

2 days ago
1/1/01
What was the bad blood between renzo spijker
2 days ago
1/1/06

Spijker made prank calls to Renzo's hotel room (I think he sent him room service and food deliveries too) prior to the fights to try and prevent Renzo from getting a good night's sleep.  That and I imagine some general trash-talking.  Renzo obviously did not appreciate the antics.

Edited: 2 days ago
1/1/01

warring won by pulling hair against Paulson who should have been in the grappling bracket

2 days ago
3/22/09
Winston Wolf -

warring won by pulling hair against Paulson who should have been in the grappling bracket

Yup, ruined a potential fight with Renzo which would’ve been epic 

2 days ago
1/13/11

My buddies brother got us this on VHS, I’m sure he had to be a member here way back when.  I remember watching the Renzo head stomp and thinking he was getting DQ’d, but nope.  What a great night of fights, so brutal and so much heart displayed. I’ve watched it probably 10-15 times over the years and it still gets me all fired up. 

2 days ago
3/15/19

I still have this on VHS. It was a unique spin on NHB back in the day. A tournament with 3 different rule sets in one night - I think the finals had a different rule set than either the striker or grappler side of the bracket. 

Renzo looked pretty dominant though. 

2 days ago
1/1/01

people thought grappling wouldn't work in the striking bracket cause no subs & a restarts every 10 min (maybe it was 5).
Shows what people knew

2 days ago
1/1/06
Winston Wolf -

I think Paulson chose to be in the striking bracket because his intention was to essentially win that, and then face Renzo in the final and win that.  Thus proving himself to be the superior striker and grappler.  

Warring was in great shape for his age and adapted well to the rules, he deserves credit for managing to stay upright and beat Paulson.  Let's not forget, Paulson was an accomplished kicker as well.

2 days ago
1/1/01
nrallen -
Winston Wolf -

I think Paulson chose to be in the striking bracket because his intention was to essentially win that, and then face Renzo in the final and win that.  Thus proving himself to be the superior striker and grappler.  

Warring was in great shape for his age and adapted well to the rules, he deserves credit for managing to stay upright and beat Paulson.  Let's not forget, Paulson was an accomplished kicker as well.

warring won by pulling hair i dont respect that

2 days ago
10/14/12
Winston Wolf - 
nrallen -
Winston Wolf -

Not respectful, but lesson learning for all back then. Ive seen hair be the difference in alot of street/bar/party fights.
2 days ago
1/1/01
dchi07 -
Winston Wolf -

Yup, ruined a potential fight with Renzo which would’ve been epic 

Renzo would have ran hysteric Erik over

2 days ago
1/1/01
SuperFightFan -
Winston Wolf - 
nrallen -
Winston Wolf -

Not respectful, but lesson learning for all back then. Ive seen hair be the difference in alot of street/bar/party fights.

Paulson was dumb to have the hair U cant fight with a ponytale is hair pulling is allowed and that won Warring the fight he held his hair the entire fight

2 days ago
1/1/06

Paulson v Newton for comparison purposes:

I know MMA-math doesn't work but Newton and Renzo have beaten one another by decision, tied 1-1.

1 day ago
2/27/08

I'm sure I've seen a video of Paulson explaining he kept the long hair because of modelling or acting gigs he had.  But that's fuzzy.