UnderGround Forums Wrestling should it be banned from UFC ?

9/9/19 11:15 PM
7/2/07
^^^^^ You do raise a point that I have been hesitant to mention in an effort to avoid confusing some of the more simple posters.

One of the most common complaints especially from people that have been watching combat sports including MMA for a while is that many MMA matches have turned into bad kick boxing matches.

I think some of that has to do with the generalist MMA fighter that has developed and that many MMA fighters have comparatively poor striking skills.

9/9/19 11:31 PM
9/3/19

I thought khabib was combat sambo not "wrestling"

9/9/19 11:37 PM
7/2/07
Rakoshi - 

I too have been involved in wrestling a long time ... since before you were a gleam in your Daddy’s eye. (Wrestled from 1957-1970 / break for Vietnam / coached wrestling at all levels from 1975 - 2012 / member NWHOF for Lifetime Service to Wrestling class of 2012. I speak with assurance that the OP has a Circle of Willis chock full of Fecaliths ... Wrestling is the heart of MMA. 

I don't want to be mean to you. Your insults sound like some midwestern gibberish.

Next time I am in Stillwater I will keep my eye out in the section with various state chapters on display.

I think it would be fair to acknowledge that MMA has helped wrestling in popularity. Helped spur in interest in a declining sport.

9/9/19 11:42 PM
7/2/07
Haulinbass - 

I thought khabib was combat sambo not "wrestling"

Yes SIR !

And thank you for stating the fact.

This thread is not about the Khabib Dustin match as many seem to think it is.

It is funny to see the wrestling community grasping to cling to Khabib as pure wrestling without acknowledging his focus on combat Sambo.

Some of these responses from upset wrestling fans remind me of back in the day when the BJJ sport community would get upset at the mention of pajama wrestling.

9/10/19 12:19 AM
7/2/07
Shugum - 

Weren't they going to get rid of Olympic wrestling?  No one wants to watch it!

Yes it was actually voted to be dropped by the executive committee. Reminds me of the days we had to sell T-shirts and do other fundraisers just to be able to buy new uniforms. Ever notice SEC schools do not have wrestling programs ?

--------------------

"According to IOC documents obtained by the AP, wrestling ranked "low" in several of the technical criteria, including popularity with the public at the London Games -- just below 5 on a scale of 10.

Wrestling also ranked "low" in global TV audience with a maximum of 58.5 million viewers"
9/10/19 12:24 AM
9/3/19

nah

9/10/19 7:21 PM
7/2/07
SuperMann - 

How can you say that fight was boring? You obviously know nothing about the art of MMA. 

As a fellow Sambo player and club champion I admire Khabib's work especially in round 1.

9/10/19 7:42 PM
1/1/01
williepep -
SuperMann - 

How can you say that fight was boring? You obviously know nothing about the art of MMA. 

As a fellow Sambo player and club champion I admire Khabib's work especially in round 1.

what club ?

9/10/19 9:50 PM
7/2/07
Winston Wolf - 
williepep -
SuperMann - 

what club ?

Did you post on a wrestling hall of fame thread I started awhile back ?

Or did you once start a wrestling hall of fame thread ?

For some reason I thought you made a lot of posts on a thread about the HOF in Stillwater.

Not going to post what club.

A few forum members including one moderator know the scoop and can vouch that I was the club and state Sambo champion in the ladies division.

9/10/19 9:54 PM
9/8/13

No 

9/10/19 9:54 PM
7/2/07
Shugum - 
shawarma -

Your thread title and actual comment are not really connected. 

Of course wrestling shouldn't be banned. 

Introduction of rules to make people rush and take more risks would be welcome however. The same way people say 'watch boxing or kickboxing' you can say 'watch wrestling or BJJ' to those that don't mind a 14  minute positional grappling exchange in a 15 minute fight. 

People want to watch mixed martial arts not a single discipline. If you can't do damage or go for something in less than a minute you should be stood up. If you can't get a takedown against the cage after hugging a while you should be separated. 

A sense of urgency will help the sport and the fighters get more money. Nobody watches boxing for a hug fest and they separate them. 

It is illogical to not encourage action via strikes or sub attempts during a grappling exchange. You fail you try again. Not you fail but take your time maybe after 3.5 minutes you will pass guard and maybe attempt a strike or sub. 

Yellow cards were a good thing back in pride (albeit a dreadful penalty to a fighter). Perhaps a point deduction is good. 

The objective for a fan is to see a clear winner in a fight. That can only be enhanced by making grapple-heavy fighters go for GNP and subs. It isn't a pure striking sport nor a pure grappling sport. So some compromise is needed in the ruleset to avoid a scenario where frequent takedowns win a decision without much damage to a fighter. 

Excellent post. A bit tired of the dogpiling when any on is critical of wrestling.

Yes excellent post.
9/11/19 8:11 AM
1/1/01
williepep -
Winston Wolf - 
williepep -
SuperMann - 

what club ?

For some reason I thought you made a lot of posts on a thread about the HOF in Stillwater.

A few forum members including one moderator know the scoop and can vouch that I was the club and state Sambo champion in the ladies division.

ladys devision ? ur an idiot

9/11/19 8:34 AM
8/20/03
williepep - Should the rules be modified to lessen the impact or use of certain aspects of wrestling in the UFC ?

While the current rule set does create an environment where the use of wrestling can lead to championships it also sets the table for boring fights.

Should the UFC be made more fan friendly and create exciting fights by modifying the rules ?

I think that the scoring of take downs needs to be altered.

9/11/19 8:54 AM
3/29/13

I agree with op, wrestling is a fag sport

9/11/19 10:54 AM
3/12/15
KaepernicksTheAppleOfMyEye -

I agree with op, wrestling is a fag sport

Just because you’re aroused by the fact that they could hold you down and fuck you doesn’t mean it’s a fag sport.

You’re confusing your own fantasies with reality. 

9/11/19 5:10 PM
10/8/13
Winston Wolf -
williepep -
Winston Wolf - 
williepep -
SuperMann - 

what club ?

Learn how to spell before u go calling people idiot's. Idiot.

9/11/19 9:35 PM
3/14/02
And the 2019 dumbest post of the year goes to williepep. Take a bow sir
9/11/19 9:52 PM
7/2/07
Dogman - And the 2019 dumbest post of the year goes to williepep. Take a bow sir

Can you explain why you would say this ?

I will remind you this thread now has over 10,367 views.

People are interested in this topic, maybe soon more viewers than people who attend the college wrestling national championship.

If I recall correctly the largest crowd to attend a college wrestling national championship is 17,000 and some change.

9/11/19 10:37 PM
1/1/01

bring back soccer kicks to punish sloppy shots

9/11/19 10:40 PM
1/22/14

wow... counting views in this cess pool of a forum as an indicator of anything is almost as rich as the original post...

9/11/19 10:40 PM
1/22/14
MMA Promoter1 -
Winston Wolf -
williepep -
Winston Wolf - 
williepep -
SuperMann - 

what club ?

Learn how to spell before u go calling people idiot's. Idiot.

the irony of this silly post makes me chuckle... 

thanks...

Edited: 9/12/19 8:17 AM
3/29/13

Wrestling is not fighting and has no place in a combat sport, there literally is no way to win outside of a boring decision using only wrestling

9/12/19 8:30 AM
6/28/10

How are you an adult and typed devision?

9/12/19 9:06 AM
3/29/13
BrckNoHitBk -

How are you an adult and typed devision?

How are you an adult and can't the difference between a v and c 

9/12/19 9:58 AM
1/22/14
KaepernicksTheAppleOfMyEye -

Wrestling is not fighting and has no place in a combat sport, there literally is no way to win outside of a boring decision using only wrestling

"backward hat" guys raise their natty lights to you...

MMA... these are your fans... congrats...