UnderGround Forums bad experience meeting a fighter?

1/9/19 3:46 PM
7/27/13

Just wondering if anyone here has had a bad experience meeting a fighter. 

I went to a Royce Gracie seminar, and honestly I’ve never met a bigger asshole in my life. He was talking down to/shitting on white belts just trying to learn the moves. If someone didn’t understand the move right away, he would dress them down, asking if they smoked crack the night before, if they’re stupid etc... He was doing this to white belts who paid $170 to him. 

Anyone else have a similar experience with any fighters/bjj guys ? 

1/10/19 2:03 PM
11/19/07
Chuck made me puke. But it was a good experience
1/10/19 5:29 PM
11/18/10

I’ve ran into a couple guys over the years...

Royce Gracie - met him checking into a Hilton. Told him I was a big fan and he was a nice guy. I just wanted to shake his hand and he said let’s grab a pic. 

Diego Sanchez - saw him at a restaurant years ago. He was waiting on a table like the rest of us. He was a bit of a dick. Maybe he and his girl were having a fight bc she was ignoring him and he was ignoring me. 

Randy Couture - ran into him at a bar in an airport. He was alone having a Bloody Mary during his layover. He was ok, not real chatty but he shook my hand and thanked me for being a fan.

DFW - whole different level of cool. My wife and I were on our honeymoon in Vegas and we saw him at a club. He was in VIP and I whipped out my digital camera to snap a pic. He saw us and waved. Next I know he’s coming down from VIP and towards us. He grabs me and says let’s take a real pic...so my wife snapped a pic of us and then he asked if I wanted to hang out for a bit up at his table. Drinks were on the house that night and  we hung out with him, BJ (champ at the time), and Sherk. 

1/10/19 5:33 PM
8/2/11

My mate flew from New Zealand to Australia especially to meet Randy Couture. He lined up for hours for the signing day before the UFC and when he got there he told Randy he was his hero and was honoured to meet him. Randy didn’t say a word. Looked at him weird. Signed his photo and looked away

Gray Maynard on the other hand was a stand up gentleman. Also great experience meeting Lyoto Machida and Mark Hunt. Lovely blokes

1/10/19 5:38 PM
1/14/03

Met Melvin Guilliard at club ampersand in New Orleans new years of '06 I think. He partied hard and was gracious as could be. We were both cross threaded and I had a great night. Beautiful BEAUTIFUL girls there. Come home rolling my dick off to my apartment flooded from the dipshits upstairs which is a whole other hilarious story.

Edited: 1/10/19 10:51 PM
12/28/14

Randy is kind of a dick. I've just seen how he treats people over the years

1/10/19 11:14 PM
12/23/08
failure at life -

Randy is kind of a dick. I've just seen how he treats people over the years

Would you say that he’s a jerkoff?

1/10/19 11:54 PM
11/18/10
ThatsHowIRoll -

My mate flew from New Zealand to Australia especially to meet Randy Couture. He lined up for hours for the signing day before the UFC and when he got there he told Randy he was his hero and was honoured to meet him. Randy didn’t say a word. Looked at him weird. Signed his photo and looked away

Gray Maynard on the other hand was a stand up gentleman. Also great experience meeting Lyoto Machida and Mark Hunt. Lovely blokes

I interacted with Randy for all of about 60 seconds but I got a sense he may have some social anxiety. His mannerisms indicated such. He wouldn’t look me in the face, looked away when speaking, idk, I walked away thinking he seemed uncomfortable. Some ppl don’t like to embrace the fame I suppose.

1/11/19 12:12 AM
7/24/16

No bad experiences, but a good one. Met D.C. years back in an airport. Dude is exactly like you'd think- nice as can be, humble and comes off as just a regular dude. Chatted with me for about 20 minutes and even said stop by and say hey if I was ever at a UFC event and he was there. Coolest professional athlete I've ever met, hands down.

1/11/19 12:15 AM
2/29/16

Walking on the sidewalk and Tim Sylvia pulling up in a car and yelling at me, then driving away for some reason.

1/11/19 12:26 AM
5/11/05
PrestigeWorldwide -

I’ve ran into a couple guys over the years...

Royce Gracie - met him checking into a Hilton. Told him I was a big fan and he was a nice guy. I just wanted to shake his hand and he said let’s grab a pic. 

Diego Sanchez - saw him at a restaurant years ago. He was waiting on a table like the rest of us. He was a bit of a dick. Maybe he and his girl were having a fight bc she was ignoring him and he was ignoring me. 

Randy Couture - ran into him at a bar in an airport. He was alone having a Bloody Mary during his layover. He was ok, not real chatty but he shook my hand and thanked me for being a fan.

DFW - whole different level of cool. My wife and I were on our honeymoon in Vegas and we saw him at a club. He was in VIP and I whipped out my digital camera to snap a pic. He saw us and waved. Next I know he’s coming down from VIP and towards us. He grabs me and says let’s take a real pic...so my wife snapped a pic of us and then he asked if I wanted to hang out for a bit up at his table. Drinks were on the house that night and  we hung out with him, BJ (champ at the time), and Sherk. 

Pic

1/11/19 1:50 AM
1/1/01
ThatsHowIRoll - 

I was at that meet & greet, Randy, Gray and Sexyama.

Gray was cool as shit, complimented me on my Hong Kong Phooey T-shirt, Sexyama was smiley and polite, Randy may as well not have been there, barely acknowledged you when you spoke to him maybe he had some shit going on who knows.

He was friendlier at a seminar he did at the club I trained at a week later.
1/11/19 2:11 AM
12/7/18

I've heard from many people that Rampage and Jones are complete assholes to fans. Makes sense. Sonnen and Ortiz are absolute sweet hearts. Kelvin Gastelum is another genuine sweet heart. 

1/11/19 3:12 AM
1/13/10

Rampage was cool when I spoke to him at my local mall. 

Cormier was nice, briefly spoke with him.

Cain is really nice 

Lamar Jackson is a sweet heart, I know, I know he KO’d his girl though.

Koscheck he’s bi polar for sure lol. 

Fitch is hilarious 

Chocalate Al was nice 

Baroni really nice 

Manhoef quiet but nice 

Fedor was amazing 

1/11/19 3:20 AM
9/5/13
64FordF100 -

Walking on the sidewalk and Tim Sylvia pulling up in a car and yelling at me, then driving away for some reason.

Lol, is that true or is it an UG in-joke I don't know about? : )

1/11/19 6:14 AM
8/2/11
PeterIrl -
ThatsHowIRoll - 

I was at that meet & greet, Randy, Gray and Sexyama.

Gray was cool as shit, complimented me on my Hong Kong Phooey T-shirt, Sexyama was smiley and polite, Randy may as well not have been there, barely acknowledged you when you spoke to him maybe he had some shit going on who knows.

He was friendlier at a seminar he did at the club I trained at a week later.

Haha so cool you remember mate, one of the first Aussie cards I think. Gray just went out of his way to talk to my little brother and made his day so I'll always respect that.

As for Randy, not only was he a cock that day but I've read anecdotal evidence on here that a UGer was in a bathroom and watched Randy leave a cubicle and walk out after taking a shit without washing his hands.

1/11/19 6:16 AM
8/2/11

I just found the thread! Multiple documented examples of him being a fcking prick

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/UnderGround/DFW-Randy-Couture-is-not-a-good-guy-ask-anyone:2328665-2

1/11/19 6:18 AM
5/16/16

Meet Bisping he was a bit of a dickhead

Gus was cool 

Vaughn Lee was nice

1/11/19 7:33 AM
4/4/12
granderojo - Chuck made me puke. But it was a good experience

Did he throat fuck you??

1/11/19 7:34 AM
4/4/12

Sorry that was a joke. I feel bad now.

1/11/19 7:41 AM
7/17/16

Bad experience - N'Gannou. Saw him in Boston before Stipe fight and it was just him and me in the lobby. Asked for a pic and he looked at me, said nah sorry and walked off. 

Good experience - Stipe. Day before N'gannou pulled that shit. So happy he won.

Bisping. Meet and greet in Sydney. Super nice guy full of chat. 

1/11/19 7:43 AM
1/1/01

Daniel cormier. First time in Anaheim at a youth wrestling tournament. His son lost a match so Cormier took his son off the mat and smacked him up pretty good. Son couldn’t be older than 10 or 11.  At same tournament my sons teammate asked him for a picture and he said no, probably still mad about his son.

las Vegas a few months back my sons other teammate beat one of his gilroy wrestlers and At one point during the match he starts screaming “your loosing to a nobody”. 

Saw him this weekend at Clovis high school tournament. Always looks like he’s in a bad mood every time I see him at a tournament. I did see him take pictures for the kids that asked. Maybe he’s getting better. Was a big Cormier fan before being around him. Now, not so much

1/11/19 8:01 AM
7/10/11

Bruce Buffer. Complete dick. Acted like he was gods gift to poker and really to the world. Was so in love with himself.

Nicest. Jens Pulver. Went out of his way to talk take pics and thanked us umpteen times for buying his book...

1/11/19 9:00 AM
1/13/10
Alex101 -

Daniel cormier. First time in Anaheim at a youth wrestling tournament. His son lost a match so Cormier took his son off the mat and smacked him up pretty good. Son couldn’t be older than 10 or 11.  At same tournament my sons teammate asked him for a picture and he said no, probably still mad about his son.

las Vegas a few months back my sons other teammate beat one of his gilroy wrestlers and At one point during the match he starts screaming “your loosing to a nobody”. 

Saw him this weekend at Clovis high school tournament. Always looks like he’s in a bad mood every time I see him at a tournament. I did see him take pictures for the kids that asked. Maybe he’s getting better. Was a big Cormier fan before being around him. Now, not so much

Damn, I made a thread about this on the OG. Which sports brings out the worst in parents. Wrestling was the top 2. 

Clovis has all that money 

1/11/19 9:22 AM
1/1/01

I agree. I’m in Southern California and have been around wrestling, tournaments, etc for the last 9 years and I’ve seen some stuff. Abusive parents are the worst. There’s a certain ncaa champ who came out of Southern California. His dad is biggest abusive pice of $hit I’ve have ever seen.