UnderGround Forums Sad fact about the current UFC

29 days ago
1/1/01

So in another thread it was mentioned the UFC only having half the current top 50 ranked HWs takes away a lot of matchups they can offer fans at HW.

With other promotions having fighters like Kharitonov, Minakov, Fortune, Moldavsky, Isaev, Goltsov, and Aliakbari means you will see less compelling HW fights in the UFC.

This is the sport that Royce, Funaki, Suzuki, Rutten, Shamrock, Fuke, Igor, Severn, Taktarov, Ruas, Frye, Mo Smith, Conan, Rickson, Enson, Takada, Coleman, and Kerr built and they did it at HW.

For WMMA to be such a strong focus of the UFC and HW to be such an afterthought is somewhat bizarre.

UFC only has around 40 HW men signed to contract and they have less than half the top 50 fightmatrix HWs.

They have around 80 women signed to the UFC.

So in the 2019 UFC, the promotion has twice as many female fighters signed as HW fighters.

Great example as to why cards might feel a little watered down these days.

Around 200 women compete for around 20 "world" titles in UFC, Bellator, ONE, RIZIN, and Invicta.

Edited: 29 days ago
10/3/11

Fact....or your opinion?

Stfu op

29 days ago
5/19/17

Isn't this caused by the big athletic dudes choosing football over fighting?

29 days ago
1/1/01
lamedroid -

Fact....or your opinion?

Stfu op

It is a fact that there are twice as many women as HW men competing in the UFC so you "stfu".

29 days ago
9/18/02
Wmma sucks
29 days ago
7/10/12
BJ Penn Forever -
lamedroid -

Fact....or your opinion?

Stfu op

It is a fact that there are twice as many women as HW men competing in the UFC so you "stfu".

I don’t overly disagree with you.

But you are comparing 4 weight divisions to one

29 days ago
6/28/10

I'm really surprised that BJ Penn Forever  just made a shit post. REALLY surprised...

29 days ago
1/1/01
Rabid Bunyip -
BJ Penn Forever -
lamedroid -

Fact....or your opinion?

Stfu op

I don’t overly disagree with you.

But you are comparing 4 weight divisions to one

All weight classes are not created equal.

Who are top ten AW females and SW males in the world? Oh you don't know? You don't follow those divisions? Who are the top ten HWs in the world? Do you see my point? HW has always been a very prestigious division in the history of catch, folk, freestyle, greco, boxing, NHB, and MMA.

All weight classes are not created equal and men and women combat sports are not created equal. Pursing a combat sport as a profession appeals to a lot less women than it does men, that is just the way it is. Watching combat sports and watching sports in general appeals to a lot less women than it does men as well.

With the UFC having twice as many women signed as HW men it indicates the balance is out of wack.

29 days ago
4/21/12

Not sure I'm following what the issue is here.

They actually have 50 active HW fighters on the roster, not 40. That's more than the WMMA Flyweight division - the biggest women's division - which has 44 fighters.

There are almost 3 times as many women Flyweights as men: 44 vs. 15. Is that balance out of whack?

The number of women under contract (115 across all weight classes) exceeds the number of men in any single men's weight class, including the biggest men's division: The LW division has 95 men. That's the most of any weight class. 

29 days ago
1/1/01
Tug Dabone -

They actually have 50 active HW fighters on the roster, not 40. That's more than the WMMA Flyweight division - the biggest women's division - which has 44 fighters.

There are almost 3 times as many women Flyweights as men: 44 vs. 15. Is that balance out of whack?

The number of women under contract (115 across all weight classes) exceeds the number of men in any single men's weight class, including the biggest men's division: The LW division has 95 men. That's the most of any weight class. 

The issue is the HW division does not get much focus or attention these days.

In the fist six months of 2019 the UFC only held 19 HW fights.

When you sit down at random now to watch a UFC fight you are more likely to see women fighting than you are to see a HW fight. If you told someone during the PRIDE/UFC era that you would see more women's fights in the UFC in a year than HW fights they would never believe you.

I enjoy WMMA to a degree and like watching athletes like Shevchenko, Nunes, and Hamasaki compete but I'm not gonna lie and say I follow WMMA the way I follow men's MMA or enjoy it to the same degree.

Could you imagine NFL fans being asked to watch more and more women's NFL games that are programmed in with the men's games each years? That is what happened in the UFC. How many men who watch NCAA wrestling also enjoy watching female wrestling? I'd say 5%. How many boxing fans enjoy women's boxing? Again, I'd say 5%.

MMA fans don't have to pretend we want to watch more and more WMMA each year and less and less HW MMA each year just because that is what the UFC is giving us.

*my numbers estimates were off compared to yours because I was just using fightmatrix listings and not the lists of people under contract that you used so your numbers count people who have not yet fought in the UFC and mine do not.

29 days ago
1/1/01
Tug Dabone -

As to the LW division having 95 men under contract and the WMMA divisions having 115 women under contract... if you as me the UFC would have a better product if they had 300 men under contract at 155, 165, and 175 while only having 60 women under contract across 115, 125, and 135 while also getting rid of 145 and leaving it in Invicta until it actually has a real mature talent pool like they have at 135.

That is just my opinion.

29 days ago
3/29/09
Outside of Kharitonov I have no idea who the other HW’s you listed are. UFC is and will always be the Premier MMA league with the top talent.
29 days ago
1/1/01
Paulbtk - Outside of Kharitonov I have no idea who the other HW’s you listed are. UFC is and will always be the Premier MMA league with the top talent.

Minakov- 4x sambo world champ, former Bellator HW champ

Fortune- good wrestler, 8-0 in Bellator, improving striking

Moldavsky- Fedor Team fighter, 10-1 in MMA, undefeated in Bellator

Isaev- former Olympian, PFL finalist

Goltsov- longtime HW vet, former combat sambo world champ, PFL fighter

Aliakbari- former greco world champ, RIZIN/ACA MMA vet

If you don't know who they are it means you are likely just a UFC fan and not an MMA fan and if you don't know who they are then what do you know about who has the top talent?

29 days ago
1/23/06
Heavyweight MMA these days is less interesting to watch than WMMA.
29 days ago
11/20/09

Is this fucking bizzaro world or some shit!??!??!?!?

I mean are we fucking serious with the replies????

BJ Penn Forever is one of my personal FAVORITE members of this forum and the reasoning is for well thought out post that often times have interesting statistics.  This is an INCREDIBLE eye opening post and the only thing more shocking than the stats he shared, is the negative replies.

Fuck is wrong with you all?  Do you think OP just randomly pulled this information out his ass and shared?  Do you not realize it takes time to individually research the information he shared?  And the information he shared like I said above is incredibly eye opening.

Heavyweights in combat fighting has ALWAYS been the marquee weight class.  My history of interacting with other fans and moreso the post and opinions I see on this forum are more people unhappy with wmma compared to more people excited about it.

OP-you are not crazy.  This was a super informative thread and I am sure I am not alone in appreciating the information you discovered and shared.  I will copy and paste this in my social media mma groups because it's fascinating but not in the best way.

29 days ago
1/1/01
BJ Penn Forever -
Paulbtk - Outside of Kharitonov I have no idea who the other HW’s you listed are. UFC is and will always be the Premier MMA league with the top talent.

Minakov- 4x sambo world champ, former Bellator HW champ

Fortune- good wrestler, 8-0 in Bellator, improving striking

Moldavsky- Fedor Team fighter, 10-1 in MMA, undefeated in Bellator

Isaev- former Olympian, PFL finalist

Goltsov- longtime HW vet, former combat sambo world champ, PFL fighter

Aliakbari- former greco world champ, RIZIN/ACA MMA vet

If you don't know who they are it means you are likely just a UFC fan and not an MMA fan and if you don't know who they are then what do you know about who has the top talent?

havent heard of any of them,.UFC is only show in town those pther shows get ZERO coverage.Heavyweights always have and always will have the shallowist pool of fighters

29 days ago
1/1/01
D241 -

BJ Penn Forever is one of my personal FAVORITE members of this forum and the reasoning is for well thought out post that often times have interesting statistics.  This is an INCREDIBLE eye opening post and the only thing more shocking than the stats he shared, is the negative replies.

Fuck is wrong with you all?  Do you think OP just randomly pulled this information out his ass and shared?  Do you not realize it takes time to individually research the information he shared?  And the information he shared like I said above is incredibly eye opening.

Heavyweights in combat fighting has ALWAYS been the marquee weight class.  My history of interacting with other fans and moreso the post and opinions I see on this forum are more people unhappy with wmma compared to more people excited about it.

OP-you are not crazy.  This was a super informative thread and I am sure I am not alone in appreciating the information you discovered and shared.  I will copy and paste this in my social media mma groups because it's fascinating but not in the best way.

wow his boyfriend ? I like his posts too but disagree here

29 days ago
1/23/06
D241 - 

As fans have grown to appreciate the skills aspect of MMA, it's no surprise that interest in Heavyweights is declining.

The thing that captivated audiences about Fedor Emelianenko was his cat like movements, the explosions of a rotund looking 6'0 fighter that looked like an everyday man.

The in and out fleet of foot CroCop, left leg holstered with his world class K-1 striking, he was like a Featherweight Conor the way he'd use his left hand.

Alistair Overeem is still top ranked at 40 years of age, after over 60 fights and 20+ years as a pro, because he's more skilled, a K-1 World Grand Prix Champion and Pride veteran.

It takes time to develop talent. Fighting is not a young man's game at the Championship level.

When you watch Lewis vs. Ivanov for instance, there was none of the craft of a CroCop or Overeem on display. Throwback relics like Kharitonov still have better boxing and all around game.
29 days ago
11/20/09

BJ Penn Forever-

I discovered a bad ass youtube channel that has full old school (SEG) UFC shows unedited and in good quality.  The past 3 days I have been watching 2hour UFC events one after another.  It's been great!

Anyways what I really miss, is early on the UFC had no problem throwing in 300+ pound men in the octagon.  And all the fights they were in were exciting.

How exciting would it be if UFC changed it's focus from wmma and turned it's focus onto Super Heavyweight division? 

Imagine if Dana White announced that beginning 2021, UFC will incorporate a Super Heavyweight division?  We'd see athletes in other sports quit their sport and start training full time in hopes to be one of the first super heavyweights to fight in the modern UFC.  

Greg Hardy is only the 2nd biggest position in NFL and he barely makes the hw division.  Imagine when you start seeing nose tackles and offensive lineman like 6'8' 330lbs with less than 10% body fat fighting in the cage!!!

It's funny how normal people look when fighting like sized opponents in the cage.  Put up the #1 small weight fighters against the 20th ranked super heavyweights and it would be close to murder.

Image result for demetrious johnson stefan struve

29 days ago
11/20/09
Winston Wolf - 
D241 -

wow his boyfriend ? I like his posts too but disagree here

For the record he's bottom I'm top :)

29 days ago
1/23/06
29 days ago
1/23/06
Stipe has elite will to win.
29 days ago
1/6/19

ufcs heavyweight champ is a fireman, thats all u have to know, sport became a joke.

29 days ago
11/20/09
showmedaway - 

ufcs heavyweight champ is a fireman, thats all u have to know, sport became a joke.

Isn't there a stay at home mom who fights in UFC?

29 days ago
9/19/13

This is the product of liberal marketing. Enjoy your feminism bitches.