I've been thinking about this for awhile now. I think this works (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm far from an expert in this field):
1. I can open up a 501(c)(3) that relates to saving/caring for/adopting out fish.
2. People can donate CASH to my 501(c)(3) and get a tax deduction.
3. People could donate FISH they no longer want to my 501(c)(3) and get a deduction (not sure on this part, super cool if they could get a deduction for whate they paid for the fist, or even ok if they get a lesser amount equal to the fair market value of the fish at the time of contribution).
4. I can SELL the fish and pay no tax on the gains, so long as I reinvest the profits back into the non-profit business.
5. I can't take out "profits", HOWEVER, I CAN pay myself a reasonable salary.
Will this work? Any reason not to do it?