What if ... TX judge Joe Soliz defends 4-1 Jones score

Edited: 14 days ago
1/1/01

The UFC 247 main event was close, with Jon Jones winning a Unanimous Decision. However, one judge, Joe Soliz, head coach at TX 3rd Coast MMA and black belt in "Brazilian Jui-Jitsu", scored the fight 4-1 Jones, something commentator Joe Rogan correctly characterized as "insane."

Soliz attempted to defend the scoring on his social network.

Unfortunately, the document he linked to does not support his interpretation. Soliz argues that "You cannot win a fight or a round without advancing this is one of the most basic parts of scoring in this sport." However, the rules dictate that Effective Aggressiveness and Fighting Area Control only become relevant if Effective Striking/Grappling is 100% equal. 

Adding further confusion, the scorecard lists the bout as a Majority Draw, which it was not. And it begins with typing generated by an automated system, that apparently failed at some point, and the rest was hand done.

Texas is a great state, but Saturday's regulation wasn't up to speed.

14 days ago
1/1/01

He's so right. Everyone totally knows forward movement with insignificant strikes wins rounds over 'stick and move' significant strikes. 

14 days ago
8/6/08

I guess floyd mayweather is actually 0-50

#buildthewall

14 days ago
1/16/12

Going forward= winning 

makes sense. Forgetting throwing punches or kicks. Fuck takedowns and just train to advance and block with your head. That's how you win MMA fights and street fights.

this sport is turning into a fucking joke

14 days ago
12/28/12

this is a fake account you goofs

14 days ago
6/20/08

That dude has lost his mind

14 days ago
10/17/13
evh - 

This. Judges don't bring up percentages of going forward.
14 days ago
10/22/14
evh -

It has old posts on it. Why would someone create this fake account and keep it active posting shit just in case one day this guy happens to be a fucking idiot and destroy a big ufc card

14 days ago
8/15/07

Guess he never saw Diaz/Condit.

14 days ago
8/13/13

Hope that guy stubs his toe on something that has aids on it

14 days ago
12/28/12
Jayn200 -
evh -

It has old posts on it. Why would someone create this fake account and keep it active posting shit just in case one day this guy happens to be a fucking idiot and destroy a big ufc card

keep thinking and you'll eventually figure it out

14 days ago
12/27/19
Angry Ram -

??????

14 days ago
1/1/01

I am careful with the term but that was close to a robbery actually. I had Reyes winning rounds 1 through 3 and possibly even round 4, based on you know, fighting and how the fight went. 

Last time I checked significant strikes was still no. 1 in judging criteria and you know, Reyes struck. I thought it could go either way becaue it's a championship fight and all but when I heard "49-46" and "unanimous decision" I just knew Reyes got it, it's just the thing that he didn't. Replicate the fight and put it on the undercard between unknowns and 97% of people would be screaming robbery after the the decision. Yeah, that was wrong. Just wrong. 

14 days ago
12/27/19
Murdogthm666 -
Angry Ram -

??????

That was actually a bunch of laughing emojis 

Edited: 13 days ago
11/20/05

gokudamus: I guess floyd mayweather is actually 0-50.

Excellent parry.

14 days ago
1/1/01

What a pile of complete horseshit for an excuse from a incompetent, arrogant asshole who is dilussional about his knowledge of this sport, it's rules and how to judge it. 

14 days ago
2/4/06

If this was submitted to the AC wouldn't it be enough to rule a NC? He just admitted he didn't judge based on set criteria. Fucking insane. Also someone mention he hasn't judged a fight since 2017, and has only judged 14 major promotion fights to reach decisions in his whole career. 

13 days ago
11/20/05

That's a good idea.

13 days ago
12/28/12

wow this judge has a checkered past