What if ... The disappearance of the angry atheists

10/29/19 3:45 PM
7/4/05

From the mid to late 2000s on the internet in general and this forum in particular, there was a sizable contingent of "fuck religion, flying spaghetti monster, i believe in science bro" types who would dominate any talk of religion, evolution, etc.  It seems that's all but disappeared and those people have morphed into alt right, anti-SJW warriors who've found common cause, or at least a cold peace, with right wing religionists to take on the wacko left.

10/29/19 3:51 PM
2/2/12

This place is full of complete fucking retards.....

10/29/19 3:52 PM
9/19/19

They finally moved out of mommies basement, got jobs and grew up

10/29/19 3:52 PM
3/18/02

I think a lot of atheists correctly identified the new retarded left as a bigger threat (much bigger) to the health and stability of western society when compared to the religious whackos 

10/29/19 3:53 PM
3/11/09
TheHawker -

From the mid to late 2000s on the internet in general and this forum in particular, there was a sizable contingent of "fuck religion, flying spaghetti monster, i believe in science bro" types who would dominate any talk of religion, evolution, etc.  It seems that's all but disappeared and those people have morphed into alt right, anti-SJW warriors who've found common cause, or at least a cold peace, with right wing religionists to take on the wacko left.

Not sure they disappeared, I just see a lot less "religion" threads on the OG the past couple of years.

10/29/19 4:42 PM
5/9/10
greasegun -

Excuse me sir, but I believe you're in my seat.

10/29/19 4:50 PM
1/1/01
I think what happened is that the vocal Christians disappeared. Ridgeback, andre, Reverend John, Ogami Itto, pre-schizophrenia Tiresias, etc.

The atheists have no one to argue with anymore.
10/29/19 4:57 PM
1/1/01

I frequently got into debates with religious but the tone was essentially set by what was being discussed. We had a few creationists on this board (even YECs) that had absolutely zero concept of what Evolution really is so needed to be schooled; but on the more difficult questions (like the existence of God in general, what *is* or what constitutes morality etc.) tended to be more rounded.

Reverend John and I (iirc) would almost always find ourselves on different sides of a debate but we never really got nasty toward each other. If I'm thinking of the right person (I'm pretty sure it was him... he was from Australia I think?) -- he mentioned that I'd always have a place to stay and someone to share a beer with if I was ever in his part of the woods. This was YEARS ago before social media was huge and sort of ruined that kind of ethos.

10/29/19 5:13 PM
5/9/10

I think part of it was there was no change.  The believers just went on with their day while the hc atheists raged.  It was embarrassing to watch.  

I'm a nonbeliever, but Im not shoving it down anyone's throat.  If it makes someone happy, so be it.  Hard enough to find a sliver of that in this existence.

10/29/19 6:47 PM
12/29/06

Why bring it up, OP, unless you're threatened by it?

It's not 'religion' per se, but the proselytizing, which you're doing here. Go and keep your spiritual claims to yourself.

10/29/19 6:54 PM
7/26/12

I got bored fighting with hard gained knowledge with people not looking to learn. Add that the ID camp was defeated in the courts, a new generation Can fight whatever it morphs I to.

i would also note born again anything usually starts with a long of energy and slowly tapers off to more mature positions. 

SJW nor is alt right one of those.

10/29/19 7:00 PM
4/24/07

Immaturity. While my beliefs have not changed since we used to argue in threads I really see no purpose in trying to destroy or disprove what someone else holds dear to posture and show how intelligent I am. 

10/29/19 7:29 PM
7/4/09
Scythrop - I think what happened is that the vocal Christians disappeared. Ridgeback, andre, Reverend John, Ogami Itto, pre-schizophrenia Tiresias, etc.

What actually happened Tiresias? He was a good poster from what I remember. 

Edited: 10/29/19 7:32 PM
3/11/09
Argonaut -
Scythrop - I think what happened is that the vocal Christians disappeared. Ridgeback, andre, Reverend John, Ogami Itto, pre-schizophrenia Tiresias, etc.

What actually happened Tiresias? He was a good poster from what I remember. 

He was a good poster until he went crazy his last couple months here. Talking about everyone here being bots and other weird shit. Think he ended up getting himself banned.

10/29/19 7:33 PM
10/4/18
Sometimes those angry atheists realize that they are fucken retarded so they stfu and walk away.
10/29/19 7:49 PM
10/22/14

After a while you just realize that anyone who believes in religion just isn't a logical person so why waste the effort. 

You can show them unlimited amounts of evidence to disprove their beliefs but they don't budge at all. How much time can you spend arguing with someone with an average IQ of 80 before you just give up and move onto something more productive. 

10/29/19 8:11 PM
3/31/14

I'm an not so angry atheist. 

Fucking hate religion especially Islam, but now  I don't bother telling these people they are retarded.

it fucking blows my mind, an if I think about it to much I  start turning in to the angry atheist.

Im no SJW either trust me, in closing..fuck your fake gods

10/29/19 8:17 PM
10/27/03
TheHawker - 

If we're talking about this forum in particular, then its mostly just that everyone has left.

The internet in general, I think its just because the previous generation has largely aged out of arguing on the internet while the next gen has come up and has different passion points to scream at each other about.

I don't think its really that the same group has morphed from A to B.
10/29/19 8:34 PM
9/10/07

I think it’s mostly because religion is becoming less and less of a thing in the US. So, there is less for us to be angry about.

10/29/19 8:38 PM
1/1/01

When it comes to politics and religion, there’s always someone to argue with...

10/29/19 8:49 PM
9/27/12
greasegun -

10/29/19 8:53 PM
1/1/01

I'm still here :-)

Not too angry, though.

(For one thing, the general conversations in this place have declined in variety/quality/tone/depth etc. Another: a lot of the theists seem to have left, or aren't posting about religion. And of course the Holyground is no more...)
10/29/19 8:57 PM
5/14/13

Yeah, I'd say so.

A lot of those atheist types were just posting to annoy, and once a religious person bit, it was game on.

It's far easier to get people to bite with feelings these days, especially in politics. Easy to see why they moved topics lol.

10/29/19 8:59 PM
3/14/04
I'm still here.

And tiresias was a fucking lunatic.
Edited: 10/29/19 9:04 PM
5/22/05
dabigchet - 

I think it's mostly because religion is becoming less and less of a thing in the US. So, there is less for us to be angry about.

This.

I did think it was funny that Christians arguments against "new atheists" (who are admittedly often annoying) were so often reduced to pleading with them that arguing about religious beliefs was uncivil. It's like they couldn't defend themselves on the substance so they fell back to arguing about the of argument.