LAS VEGAS – UFC makes its highly anticipated return to Salt Lake City, Utah with a blockbuster welterweight championship bout that will see Kamaru Usman run it back with No. 2-ranked contender Leon Edwards.
"UFC 278: Usman vs. Ewards 2" will take place Saturday, Aug. 20 at Vivint Arena with the main card at 10 p.m. ET on ESPN+ PPV. The prelims will be seen on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPN+ at 8 p.m. ET, with the night's action starting at 6 p.m. ET with early prelims on ESPN+ and UFC Fight Pass.
"UFC 278: Usman vs. Edwards 2" tickets will go on sale Friday, June 24 at 10 a.m. MT and are available for purchase at Ticketmaster.com. Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person.
UFC Fight Club members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets Wednesday, June 22 at 10 a.m. MT via the website UFCFightClub.com. A special Internet ticket pre-sale will be available to UFC newsletter subscribers Thursday, June 23 starting at 10 a.m. MT. To access this presale, users must register for the UFC newsletter through UFC.com.
No. 1 men's pound-for-pound fighter, Usman (20-1 MMA, 15-0 UFC) looks to continue his dominant run atop the welterweight division by netting his 20th consecutive win. The winner of "The Ultimate Fighter season 21," he holds spectacular victories over Colby Covington (twice), Jorge Masvidal (twice) and Gilbert Burns. Usman now aims to secure his sixth straight title defense by stopping Edwards in emphatic fashion.
Edwards (19-3 MMA, 11-2 UFC) has amassed an impressive 10-fight unbeaten streak since his first encounter with Usman in late 2015. A well-rounded competitor with KO power, he has secured memorable victories against Nate Diaz, Rafael dos Anjos and Vicente Luque to earn his first UFC title opportunity. Edwards now intends to shock the world by dethroning Usman to achieve his dream of capturing UFC gold.
Additional bouts on the card include:
- Former UFC featherweight champion and current No. 3-ranked bantamweight contender Jose Aldo (31-7 MMA, 13-6 UFC) takes on surging No. 6 Merab Dvalishvili (14-4 MMA, 7-2 UFC)
- No. 4-ranked middleweight contender Paulo Costa (13-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) aims to spoil the return of former champion Luke Rockhold (16-5 MMA, 6-4 UFC)
- No. 13 ranked flyweight contender Amir Albazi (14-1, fighting out of London, England by way of Baghdad, Iraq) locks horns with Francisco Figueiredo (13-4-1 1NC, fighting out of Soure, Para, Brazil)
- No. 10 ranked heavyweight contender Marcin Tybura (22-7, fighting out of Uniejow, Poland) faces undefeated No. 13 Alexandr Romanov (18-0, fighting out of Comrat City, Republic of Moldova) in a pivotal matchup
- Leonardo Santos (18-6-1, fighting out of Campos, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) squares off with Jared Gordon (18-5, fighting out of Queens, N.Y.) in an intriguing lightweight bout
- Wu Yanan (12-5, fighting out of Xi’an, China) meets Lucie Pudilova (13-7, fighting out of Pribram, Czech Republic) in a bantamweight contest
- Tyson Pedro (8-3, fighting out of Sydney, Australia) squares off with Harry Hunsucker (7-5, fighting out of Richmond, Ken.) at light heavyweight
- Daniel Lacerda (11-3, fighting out of Valença, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) faces Victor Altamirano (10-2, fighting out of Fort Worth, Texas by way of Mexico City, Mexico) in a flyweight bout
- Aoriqileng (23-11, fighting out of Shanghai, China) takes on Jay Perrin (10-5, fighting out of Nashua, N.H.) at bantamweight
- AJ Fletcher (9-1, fighting out of Lafayette, La.) battles Ange Loosa (8-3, fighting out of La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland by way of Kinshasa, DR Congo) in a welterweight tilt
- Sean Woodson (9-1, fighting out of St. Louis, Mo.) meets Luis Saldana (16-7, fighting out of Scottsdale, Ariz.) in a clash of promising featherweight prospects