UnderGround Forums Arlene Blencowe: Cris Cyborg is human

11 days ago
1/1/01

On Thursday in the main event of Bellator 249, Australia's Arlene Blencowe, 37, challenges Bellator women's featherweight champion Cris Cyborg. The champ is a -950 favorite, but Blencowe is unphased. She lost to then division champion Julia Budd via Split Decision at Bellator 189 on December 1, 2017, but bounced back with three wins, most recently decisioning Leslie Smith at Bellator 233 on November 8, 2019.

"Angerfist" spoke recently with Jason Burgos for Sherdog, and said she intends to get right in Cyborg's face.

“At the end of the day, she’s human," said Blencowe. "Everybody is beatable. Look at Ronda [Rousey]. Everyone thought she was unbeatable. Holly [Holm] exposed that. With any opponent, and the same goes for undefeated opponents, there is a way to beat everybody. Everybody is beatable, and that’s how I’m approaching this fight with her. She’s human.

"Obviously, the fight with Amanda [Nunes] exposed weaknesses. But I’m sure she’s gone back to her camp and worked on those weaknesses. That’s the beauty of MMA, we’re all learning and progressing and becoming better fighters every day…I would say the same about me. I’ve grown as a fighter and an athlete. I’m going to take it to her and see how it goes.”

Blencowe has prepared carefully, working with, among others, former UFC women's bantamweight champion Holly Holm and current featherweight champion Alexander Volkanovski for this camp. The MMA math is that Budd beat Blencowe twice, and Cyborg beat Budd, but "Angerfist" explains why the math is wrong.

What do you think UG? What's the best strategy for Arlene Blencowe to employ to give her the best chance of winning?

BELLATOR 249: CYBORG VS. BLENCOWE
Thursday, October 15, 2020
Mohegan Sun Arena
Uncasville, Connecticut
Live on CBS Sports Network 
Prelims start at 7:15 pm ET
Main Card starts at 10:00 pm ET

11 days ago
4/22/07

Do we still freeze for fighter bashing? So many joke opportunities.....

11 days ago
1/1/12

This is going to end so badly for her. 

Edited: 11 days ago
1/27/20

Im sorry but Cyborg is gonna murder that bitch. There 1, maybe 2 women capable of consistently besting Cyborg and they're in the UFC. If you are close to on Cyborgs level your ass would be in the UFC.

11 days ago
1/27/20

Her best strategy would be to run. Run as hard as you can and never look back. Fake an injury. Get pregnant. Anything but get in that cage lol.