UnderGround Forums Jon Fitch retires at 42, proudly

14 days ago
1/1/01

John Fitch retired from fighting following a submission loss to Neiman Gracie in the co-main of Bellator 246 on Saturday night. He leaves the sport with a record of 38-8-2, and not at all broken and at the bottom of his game, despite fighting professional since 2002. Career wins include Thiago Alves, Dennis Hallman, Jake Shields, and Paul Daley.

Fitch challenged GSP for the UFC welterweight championship in 2008, losing a unanimous decision in the fight of the night. He went on to win the WSoF championship, defending it, and defending it when the organization before the PFL. He then moved to Bellator MMA and with a five-fight win streak, drew with Rory MacDonald last year in the Welterweight World Grand Prix Quarterfinals. Then he fought on Saturday night; now he leaves on his own terms. And never missed weight, ever.

“I’m having fun, but at the same time, the body doesn’t react the way I want it to anymore, the recovery’s not quite the same,” said Fitch at the post-fight press conferene. “I don’t want to go down a dirty road, so I think it’s a great time, 32-8-2-1, pretty good, I’ve got titles I’ve won, Neiman’s a great fighter and a great guy and a total act, I hope he keeps continuing to improve and becomes the champ, that would be great.”

“The two biggest [career] moments were the GSP fight and when I got to fight in Brazil, just because of the whole, everything around those fights, the buildup, the title fight, everything was amazing. The World Series of Fighting title fight, fighting Jake Shields in Madison Square Garden, that fight was amazing, just a list of hits.”

“It’s wild, I haven’t had time to sit back and reflect because I’ve been in it, but I’m very proud of what I’ve done. When I look at the landscape and we’re people are I’m very proud of it. Some mistakes here and there along the way, but overall it’s been a good run. It’s something for my kids to look up to and admire when they’re old enough to understand it.”

h/t Dave Doyle and Nolan King for MMA Junkie

14 days ago
1/1/01

defenatly fought some of the best of the best fighters

14 days ago
3/15/19

Wasn’t always exciting but was #2 in the world for a few years when GSP was #1, no shame in that. Got a raw deal from UFC but what can you expect. 

14 days ago
1/24/16

One of the guys that got an undeserved cut from the UFC along with guys like Okami and Volkmann.

The "ultimate blanket" always intrigued me, loved it when Dana got upset about it.

14 days ago
12/14/07

The heart he showed in the GSP fight was amazing.   

Edited: 14 days ago
2/17/03

Excellent career and a act.

14 days ago
1/1/01

He had a great run and long career. 

14 days ago
6/14/12

38-8

32-8

same difference. great work kirik.

14 days ago
5/8/20

Great fighter, most aspiring fighters would love to have a career like his, 18 years competing at the top level. 

14 days ago
5/5/13

The dude was a nightmare for most. All the best Fitch! Cheer's for the year's!

14 days ago
7/27/04
wiggum -

Act?

14 days ago
11/28/03
EKPOGI -
wiggum -

Act?

chief w made a joke based on a typo (missing word) in the article

either that or its cuz we cant type c.l.a.s.s.

14 days ago
2/17/03
ranier wolfcastle - 
EKPOGI -
wiggum -

Act?

chief w made a joke based on a typo (missing word) in the article

either that or its cuz we cant type c.l.a.s.s.

Yeah. Weird. I saw what I thought was a typo. Went, edited the post, and the omission remained. Didn't realize that we can't type c.l.a.s.s.

He is a c.l.a.s.s. act.

14 days ago
1/1/01
Great career for a guy who was perennially underrated because of his grindy style.

He's kind of a B-level ATG, along with guys like Shields and Maia.
14 days ago
1/1/01

Very underrated because of his If not for GSP he would have held the belt for a while.

14 days ago
6/18/09

He was as gritty as they come. Gsp was in his absolute prime that night and still couldn't put him away.  

14 days ago
10/27/03

Always nice to see a fighter retire happy and with his marbles intact.

14 days ago
2/17/03
FingerorMoon - 

Always nice to see a fighter retire happy and with his marbles intact.

Yeah. In my conversations with him, his brain seems perfectly fine. Wonderful considering how long he has been in the game.

14 days ago
6/27/05

BoilerBrawn fan checking in - Congratulations!

14 days ago
11/1/14

Great career ... But his heart wasn't in this last fight ... 

14 days ago
2/9/09

Great fighter, I remember when he was the number 2 guy behind GSP. 

14 days ago
4/21/06
Son Of a Fitch
14 days ago
10/15/07

He got a lot of undeserved hate on this forum. Always was a fan of Fitch. Had one of the best walk out songs in the game and was gritty as hell. Should be in the hall of fame but won’t be. 

13 days ago
2/28/14
ChicagoTom -

He got a lot of undeserved hate on this forum. Always was a fan of Fitch. Had one of the best walk out songs in the game and was gritty as hell. Should be in the hall of fame but won’t be. 

He got a lot of deserved hate. He often made no attempt to finish fights. His GNP was weak arm punches with no body separation, simply a way to convince the ref to maintain position without ever truly making an attempt to finish the opponent. 

The guy was an unathletic white boy who worked harder than everyone. He earned his spot by being more dedicated and trying harder than the natural athletes. But his fights were often boring as shit and his was snore inducing. 

Congrats to him on a great over-acheiving career.

13 days ago
6/27/05
Gennady Goblin -
ChicagoTom -

He got a lot of deserved hate. He often made no attempt to finish fights. His GNP was weak arm punches with no body separation, simply a way to convince the ref to maintain position without ever truly making an attempt to finish the opponent. 

The guy was an unathletic white boy who worked harder than everyone. He earned his spot by being more dedicated and trying harder than the natural athletes. But his fights were often boring as shit and his was snore inducing. 

Congrats to him on a great over-acheiving career.

Awesome.

Now tell us about your career.