UnderGround Forums Mike Rodriguez comments kindly on $#!^^y situation

12 days ago
1/1/01

At UFC on ESPN+ 35, Mike Rodriguez kneed Ed Herman in the liver, and the effect was such that after another shot to the body, Herman dropped to the ground, seemingly unable to continue The finish was seconds away, at most. However, referee Chris Tognoni assumed there had been a low blow, and stopped the action, allowing "Short Fuse" time to recover, and eventually make one of the most astonishing, if tainted, comebacks in memory.

UFC president Dana White lost his mind, called Tognoni a M****gatti, and said Rodriguez was getting his win money, and that in his eyes, it was a win. Rodriguez’s manager Tyson Chartier said there would be an appeal. However, in a recent interview with Mike Bohn for MMA Junkie, Rodriguez bore no ill will towards anyone.

“It’s a lot to take in,” said Rodriguez. “I’ve got no ill will towards [Tognoni]. It was a simple mistake, and Ed just capitalized on the mistake. There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s a s***ty situation. The only thing I really, like, blame Ed for, if anything, is when he got the submission, how he put his feet in the fence. Other than that, it is what it is. There’s nothing we can really do about it.”

“I’m assuming if anything it would be changed to a [No Contest], which is better than a loss. I have no clue what’s going to happen with that.”

"Dana said: ‘You won that f***ing round. … You finished Ed Herman the second round. I was sitting in the back, I was a little bummed out, I got caught. The doctors were looking at my shoulder and all of a sudden I looked up and Dana White was right there. He was not happy. I thought I did something wrong. I was instantly like, ‘Oh s***, what did I do?’ He was like, ‘That’s bulls***, that’s one of the worst things I’ve ever seen. You definitely won.'”

“If they’re looking at it as a win for me, I’ll just move on. I don’t work for the commission, I work for the UFC. So, let’s keep running it. They think it’s a win? Let’s keep going. Who else is next? Who else is out there?”

Edited: 12 days ago
10/9/10

That’s the attitude of a true fighter, I’m becoming more of a fan of this guy every day. It’s a shitty situation all around, but it’s not his fault and he can’t really do anything about it. Instead of being negative about it he chooses to be a stoic and control only what he can control. I’m glad it’s being seen as a win for him, hopefully he gets a big fight next. Super skilled and entertaining guy to watch. 

12 days ago
5/26/07
I can't help but compare this to how O'Malley responded to his actual loss. I'm a Rodriguez fan now.
12 days ago
1/1/01

Good on him. The only thing I find strange is that nobody, neither fighter nor Dana seems to be talking about a rematch, and this is probably the most obvious case ever of “we need an immediate rematch”. 

12 days ago
1/1/01

He seems like a quality dude. Did Herman somehow use the cage to finish the sub? I missed that.

11 days ago
9/14/17

Good for him and fuck Herman.

Time for Herman to hang it up. He could even do so under the clamour of controversy and leave with a win.

Reminds me of when Weidman tried to pull that shit with Mousasi. When you're looking for a way to cheat an early finish to the fight, you're looking for a way out. Time to hang 'em up.

11 days ago
1/1/01
bradu -

Good on him. The only thing I find strange is that nobody, neither fighter nor Dana seems to be talking about a rematch, and this is probably the most obvious case ever of “we need an immediate rematch”. 

Not really. Basically, this dude won and Ed lost.

11 days ago
1/1/01
I'm glad the ufc sees this clearly and backing the right fighter.
He's absolutely correct, he doesn't work for the commission, a win in his bosses eyes is a win.
11 days ago
1/1/01
Floppy Divac -
bradu -

But the official result is the opposite which proves my point. Honestly, I don’t even care to see a rematch. I don’t know that it does any good for anyone. But it was one of the most controversial results we’ve ever seen in the sport. 

11 days ago
2/28/14
Floppy Divac -
bradu -

Wrong. They basically had 2 fights. They fought once, and this guy won. They immediately fought again right after, and Ed clearly won the 2nd fight. You can't pretend the kimura didn't happen and that the guy didn't tap. 

They're 1-1 according to the MMA gods. A rematch is the best option.