UnderGround Forums Paulo Costa is a pretty good troll

13 days ago
1/1/01

For weeks massive UFC middleweight Paulo Costa has been taunting USADA, and champion Israel Adesanya, ahead of his title fight in the main event of UFC 253 on September 26 on Fight Island. Adesanya recent appeared on Submission Radio and related an off-camera incident on SportsCenter.

"I asked him a few questions that he couldn’t really give me a straight answer to - The last time he got tested. He couldn’t give me a straight answer, put it that way. ... But I don’t mind. I just like bringing that up cause I want it to be known, cause I said on record, I’m gonna pop him before USADA pops him."

That earned this retort from Borrachinha:

Costa recently released a video on his YouTube channel asking, “Is USADA coming to Brazil? It’s the first time USADA comes. I didn’t even know USADA existed in Brazil. The last test was done in Arizona.”

In the video, USADA shows up at the gym in Brazil, and takes blood and urine samples. The fighter even momentarily looks a little apprehensive.

However, a quick look at USADA's site shows Costa has been tested 45 times in all. He's been tested 7 times so far in 2020, including 5 times in the third quarter.

So don't worry about Costa popping and fans losing the fight - he's tested all the time and is staying clean. Or is the trolling a double fakeout, and it's diverting attention from use of a nefarious ... something. 

Costa enters the fight with a perfect 13-0 record, the last five in the UFC, winning three performance bonuses. He hasn't fought in a year due to an injured bicep. The arm appears completely healed, and then some.

13 days ago
12/7/10

I will give Costa credit. Never thought he would be this devastating in his trash talk. Also major kudos for keeping it race free. In these days and times, it's a welome path. Costa also manages to do something Colby Covington seems to have no clue how to do: be funny.

One more thing, Israel Adesayna is walking a treacherous route. He seems to be putting all his eggs in the drug enhancement/too big to have serious cardio box. If you saw the Romero fight, you know Costa has no lack of cardio. This dude was throwing life changing bombs until the final bell.

This is shaping up to the the fight of the year and possibly one of the best fights of all time.

13 days ago
4/11/13

I think Costa knows it's a mental advantage to have your opponent believe you're juiced up, so he's playing along with it.

Evander Holyfield did the same thing for the second  Tyson fight. Tyson demanded Olympic drug testing for their rematch. Holyfield agreed, but only on condition that the results came out AFTER the fight. He knew Tyson was spooked by having to fight someone who he believed was chemically enhanced.

13 days ago
4/11/10

Costa smokes him

13 days ago
12/7/10

On the other hand though, it could be Costa who is putting himself in a treacherous position. He harps constantly on the Adesayna is a skinny guy with no power argument. Come the 3rd round, when Israel has taken his best shots and is still standing, Costa could find himself lookinig for another out.

I am so looking forward to this fight and will have no problem pulling the trigger on a $65 PPV.

13 days ago
5/22/17
stainlesssteel -

On the other hand though, it could be Costa who is putting himself in a treacherous position. He harps constantly on the Adesayna is a skinny guy with no power argument. Come the 3rd round, when Israel has taken his best shots and is still standing, Costa could find himself lookinig for another out.

I am so looking forward to this fight and will have no problem pulling the trigger on a $65 PPV.

Israel won’t be able to take costas best shots 

12 days ago
12/7/10
SandBlaster -
stainlesssteel -

That's the kryptonite of the power puncher: the absolute belief the opponent will go down if you hit him hard enough. All true power punchers believe that inherently. From Francis Ngannou to Mike Tyson to Kimbo Slice to Paulo Costa. Problem comes when for whatever reason, maybe he slips them close enough, maybe they never hit clean, the opponent is still standing after the barrage. Then comes the elbows and kicks and perfect for Costa, the game altering knees.

Adesayna is no fool. He's not gonna stand and trade with a force of nature like Costa. I believe the pressure is more on Costa than Adesayna, despite Adesayna being the champ. Costa has talked more shit pre fight, than McGregor, Chael Sonnen and Jorge Masvidal combined. To get KO'd by the 'skinny guy with no power' would be a massive embarrassment.

I agree that power wise, Costa has more power. But you don't always need 100% power to get the job done. A taller fighter with a master degree in striking and angles, could hurt you just as bad.

Even the bookies have a hard time agreeing with this fight because the champion is only a -165 favorite.

12 days ago
7/24/16

It's funny, but he shouldn't tempt fate like that.

12 days ago
5/22/17
stainlesssteel -
SandBlaster -
stainlesssteel -

That's the kryptonite of the power puncher: the absolute belief the opponent will go down if you hit him hard enough. All true power punchers believe that inherently. From Francis Ngannou to Mike Tyson to Kimbo Slice to Paulo Costa. Problem comes when for whatever reason, maybe he slips them close enough, maybe they never hit clean, the opponent is still standing after the barrage. Then comes the elbows and kicks and perfect for Costa, the game altering knees.

Adesayna is no fool. He's not gonna stand and trade with a force of nature like Costa. I believe the pressure is more on Costa than Adesayna, despite Adesayna being the champ. Costa has talked more shit pre fight, than McGregor, Chael Sonnen and Jorge Masvidal combined. To get KO'd by the 'skinny guy with no power' would be a massive embarrassment.

I agree that power wise, Costa has more power. But you don't always need 100% power to get the job done. A taller fighter with a master degree in striking and angles, could hurt you just as bad.

Even the bookies have a hard time agreeing with this fight because the champion is only a -165 favorite.

Israel isn’t a KO artist.  Sure he KO’d a lot of cans on his way up but once he started fighting ufc caliber guys the KO’s really haven’t been there. Out of 8 ufc fights he has 3 KO wins and 5 decisions (one of them a split). He’s wayyy overrated imo. I think Costa is gonna put a beating on him. But we will see next weekend I guess.

12 days ago
9/20/19

I came home late tonight and my wife found lipstick on my collar. Should I be honest and tell her it was Paulo’s? 

12 days ago
6/14/19

Hilarious trolling.

12 days ago
1/1/01
stainlesssteel -
SandBlaster -
stainlesssteel -

If Costa lands a clean one izzy is done. 

12 days ago
12/7/10

And if Adesayna lands a clean knee, Costa gonna start samboing??

12 days ago
10/9/10

This is probably the most entertaining pre-fight trash talk since Conor-Nate 2. I love it. 

12 days ago
10/9/10
stainlesssteel -

And if Adesayna lands a clean knee, Costa gonna start samboing??

Costa will laugh while simultaneously breaking Israel’s shin with his head. 

- The UG

12 days ago
7/10/02
stainlesssteel - 

I will give Costa credit. Never thought he would be this devastating in his trash talk. Also major kudos for keeping it race free. In these days and times, it's a welome path. Costa also manages to do something Colby Covington seems to have no clue how to do: be funny.

One more thing, Israel Adesayna is walking a treacherous route. He seems to be putting all his eggs in the drug enhancement/too big to have serious cardio box. If you saw the Romero fight, you know Costa has no lack of cardio. This dude was throwing life changing bombs until the final bell.

This is shaping up to the the fight of the year and possibly one of the best fights of all time.

He was fading in that 3rd round against Yoel, but both had put one hellish pace throughout. This a 5 rounder but I don't expect Izzy to set such a pace!

11 days ago
1/8/04

Costa is such an honest, hard worker. Hope he wins the title so he can give the everyday man some hope.