UnderGround Forums Stipe releases first post-loss statement

Edited: 23 days ago
1/1/01

Stipe Miococ consecutively defended the UFC heavyweight championship more times than anyone in history (3), successfully defended the title more times than anyone in history (4), and holds the division record for performance bonuses (9). And he lost the belt in dramatic fashion to Francis Ngannou in the main event of UFC 260 on Saturday night. Now Miococ has released a graceful statement on his social network.

First and foremost, I’m ok. I know that fall wasn’t my most graceful fall, but I was unconscious, so it happens.

To my family friends and fans, especially Croatia & Cleveland...

I love you and I’m sorry. I hate letting you down. To my team, thank you. I know you feel every loss just as much as I do. We win as a family, we lose as a family. Losses aren’t fun, they always sting for a while, but that’s the beast of this business. You can’t win them all, and it’s important to understand that losing is just as much a part of sports (and life) as winning. Don’t ever forget God will always put you where you’re meant to be at that exact moment. You can’t dwell on what you should have done better, but you can learn and improve from it and come back more prepared next time.

Unfortunately, I deviated from game plan. I felt great coming into the second round, I saw it was beginning to go as planned. He was getting very winded, and I came in overzealous and unprotected. I wasn’t in a good posture to take the hit. He saw the opening, and did what any great fighter would have done.

That was my error that I accept, it won't happen again. Lastly, I’d like to congratulate Francis Ngannou and his team on a well-earned victory. Saturday night was your night, enjoy your victory! For now, I’m going to enjoy the downtime, spend some time with my family, and welcome our son into the world this summer... stay tuned, God bless.

UG, what do you think is next for Stipe?

23 days ago
9/8/10

I think at his age, if he is going to have another run, he needs to take the time off work to give it his best shot. 

23 days ago
9/28/03

If I were him I'd call it a career.  He's had a good run and can hold his head high.

23 days ago
1/1/01

Was Francis getting very winded? Didn’t seem like it to me.

23 days ago
1/19/12
Jump Kick -

Was Francis getting very winded? Didn’t seem like it to me.

With two minutes left in the first he was breathing with his mouth open. My friend and I were screaming at the tv for stipe to attempt a tskeeurn with two minutes left. Watch Francis’ interview with Rogan, he was still breathing heavy a minute into the interview!

23 days ago
1/2/20

Needs a big win then francis again after francis first title defense vs lewis or jon if hes got the balls. Top 5 hw. 

Edited: 23 days ago
11/10/18

C1assy statement 

23 days ago
2/13/16

vey gracious.  

honestly, i dont mind the fact that stipe takes time off between fights.  it gives him time to let brain heal, hes a FFPM which believe me is demanding.  and the heavyweight division is shallow as fuck.  its not like theres a ton of contenders out there.  hes also clearly the better fighter, but you get hit with one of those frances frag's and youre going down.  

hope he takes some time off, gets his head on straight and either gets the belt back or retires. 

23 days ago
11/29/19

Rest up champ! Plenty of time to come back for your title. 

Pretty funny people saying to hang it up after a loss. It’s 1-1. One min you’re a world beater, the next you should call it a career? Gtfo

I’d rather see that trilogy then a Derrick Lewis title defense. I’d bet Stipe takes the third meeting

23 days ago
2/19/14

Stipe is absolutely one of my all time favorites.

That statement just backs that up.

23 days ago
12/9/02
clarenceworley -

If I were him I'd call it a career.  He's had a good run and can hold his head high.

Why would we retire?

23 days ago
5/7/09

I think he should retire & enjoy it.  He made money & was champ of the world.  He doesn't have the skill set going into 40 to stick around without taking damage.

23 days ago
5/7/09
yomamafool -
clarenceworley -

Why would we retire?

Do you have Stipe in your pocket or something?

23 days ago
1/1/01

To the people who are calling on Stipe to retire..like Tweety said "He don't know me very well do he?" LOL. He can beat, at the very least, every human being on Earth except perhaps Ngannou and Bones. If he should retire then there is a long list of fighters behind him that should retire. He is a true fighter with a very deep desire to win..something that a normal civilian just could not fathom. Stipe will get another chance at the belt and I predict he will win. The odds may be against him but I still like his chances. Will I bet on him? That is yet to be seen lol

23 days ago
6/23/10

Francis learned from his loss and capitalized on it in the rematch. Francis can take statements like this one and learn how to be a champ.   Which I think he will be by all means, but this is refreshing to see no excuses and humbleness by one of the best.

23 days ago
9/27/15
william795 -

I think he should retire & enjoy it.  He made money & was champ of the world.  He doesn't have the skill set going into 40 to stick around without taking damage.

This. He should have retired after the 3rd DC fight. There was no good reason to continue after that 

21 days ago
2/10/20

Trilogy would be interesting, but dana will avoid it at all cost, high risk, probably wont sell very well, and if stipes beats francis whats next? Stipe with head on shoulders could take it

dana probably would throw francis into olympic swimming pool

21 days ago
2/29/16

Stipe ain't retiring.

21 days ago
1/1/01

It is not inconceivable that Stipe could win a rematch with Ngannou. I would like to see a rematch at some point.

21 days ago
2/17/03

He's a champion in every sense of the word.

21 days ago
6/28/10
gracie -

To the people who are calling on Stipe to retire..like Tweety said "He don't know me very well do he?" LOL. He can beat, at the very least, every human being on Earth except perhaps Ngannou and Bones. If he should retire then there is a long list of fighters behind him that should retire. He is a true fighter with a very deep desire to win..something that a normal civilian just could not fathom. Stipe will get another chance at the belt and I predict he will win. The odds may be against him but I still like his chances. Will I bet on him? That is yet to be seen lol

he did beat Ngannou. it's 1 - 1

21 days ago
7/10/02
BrckNoHitBk - 
gracie -

Indeed ha ha. How quickly people forget.

Do I see him beating Ngannou again? Nope, to be honest. But he sure did.

I'd advise retirement just because of his age and all. But him and his team know best.

I don't think one loss has helped a fighter improve as much as Ngannou has from his Stipe loss. Ortega might have been a close second and we could have seen it that very night...
21 days ago
2/10/20
Sprawl'n'Stall -
BrckNoHitBk - 
gracie -

Indeed ha ha. How quickly people forget.

Do I see him beating Ngannou again? Nope, to be honest. But he sure did.

I'd advise retirement just because of his age and all. But him and his team know best.

I don't think one loss has helped a fighter improve as much as Ngannou has from his Stipe loss. Ortega might have been a close second and we could have seen it that very night...

I think team couture? Prepered him very well, who decided to move him there?Dana knows fight game very well

21 days ago
7/10/02
It's one thing to be on a good team. Another to actually listen to your coaches. A lot of gifted athlete with inflated egos do not. He is not of them.

I know people like to shit on Dana, and feel he is a turncoat for having turned on Francis after his Stipe loss, but you think Dana didn't still see the star? He could have been legit pissed how big headed Ngannou had become. Yeah he sure did some ego inflating himself, but he's a promoter.

Anyway, Stipe fought weird, but Francis was technically sound and THAT is very scary.
21 days ago
2/2/15
gracie -

Lmao I fucking love how you put Jones, who has NEVER competed at HW, as someone Stipe couldn't beat. Lmao fuck off