UnderGround Forums TKZ: It's business not personal vs. Brian Ortega

10 days ago
1/1/01

Brian Ortega vs. “The Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung has been a long time coming. The two were slated to fight in December, but Ortega injured his knee and was out. TKZ instead KOed Frankie Edgar in Round; Jung then had eye surgery which kept him out. And the COVID-19 global pandemic didn't help. Ortega hasn't fought since seeing his unbeaten record broken by then featherweight champion Max Holloway. However, Ortega and Jung have filled up the fight-less time with trash talking.

It got so bad that Ortega publicly slapped Jung’s friend, hip-hop artist Jay Park. Amends were made, but the two fighters do not like each other. Never the less, during the UFC Fight Island 6 media day, Jung said he doesn't hang on to the ill will, because it serves no purpose in a fight.

“First of all, I don’t have anything personal toward Brian Ortega,” said Jung via a translator. “I’m just excited to meet a great fighter who is ranked second, and I’m excited for this fight. I’ve been prepared for it for a long time. Having any animosity or anything else toward Brian isn’t going to help me in the cage. So I’m putting that aside. I’m treating him as Brian Ortega the fighter, as opposed to Brian Ortega the individual.”

“I don’t like what he did as an individual, but I can’t take that into the cage. It’s not going to help me whatsoever. So we already addressed that at the beginning of camp. I’ve done a great job staying focused on what I need to accomplish. It’s not for Jay. It’s not for anything else. It’s complete business, and I’m just going to go in there and do my job."

“I’m not too frustrated that the fight took too long to create. But me being injured with the eye surgery was a bit frustrating. As far as COVID, that’s a world epidemic, there’s nothing we can possibly do about that.

“So I was OK with that. I got a big sponsor in Korea, so I was able to run the camp in Korea.”

“Brian has great physicality. He’s got great power and great submission skills. Ortega’s never been knocked out before. He’s been hit 300 times versus Holloway. So I don’t want to be the first one to do it. I’m not really focused on the knockout, but more importantly the win.”

Damon Martin for MMA Fighting

10 days ago
3/15/10

Can’t. Wait.

Go Zombie.

10 days ago
5/5/13

View this post on Instagram

Early predictions ? ?? ( via @theschmo312 )

A post shared by MMA (@freak.mma) on

10 days ago
9/12/10

The personal aspect of the fight just made it more intriguing. I'm hoping TKZ wins.

10 days ago
6/14/12

Rooting for tkz

10 days ago
1/1/01
Connorwinztharematch -

Rooting for tkz

Me too. Met him in NYC and he was such a nice guy. 

10 days ago
9/5/16
Fabes -
Connorwinztharematch -

Rooting for tkz

All Asians are nice and respectful. 

10 days ago
8/20/08

For some reason, I thought Ortega would tower over him. He looks huge at the weight but it looks like they're about the same size.

9 days ago
1/1/01
thenextman -
Fabes -
Connorwinztharematch -

Rooting for tkz

9 days ago
11/29/05
stevekt - 
thenextman -
Fabes -
Connorwinztharematch -

Rooting for tkz

Well that escalated quickly.....
9 days ago
6/27/05

Great mindset!  Hope he pulls it off in spectacular fashion.

9 days ago
4/11/10
stevekt -
thenextman -
Fabes -
Connorwinztharematch -

Rooting for tkz

That’s was justified