Derrick Lewis’ next fight: Everything you need to know
Who will Derrick Lewis’ next fight be against?
Following his UFC 265 loss to Ciryl Gane, who “The Black Beast” faces next is still up for debate.
- A test from a GOAT: Miocic does not have a dance partner for his next fight. He’s unlikely to get a trilogy bout against Francis Ngannou anytime soon, and a fight with former light heavyweight king Jon Jones doesn’t look possible either. A booking with a top-three fighter in Lewis seems like a perfect match.
- USA vs Russian II: Volkov outclassed Lewis for all but the last minute of his bout against him in 2018. A rematch to avenge the Russian’s worst career loss makes sense with both coming off defeats to the lineal and interim champions, respectively, in their most recent fights.
- The Lewis Litmus test: If top-10 fighter Abdurakhimov can beat Chris Daukaus in September, a fight with Lewis would be deserved and offers the two-time title contender a fresh opponent at the top of the rankings.
Derrick Lewis vs Ciryl Gane recap
UFC 265 offered Derrick Lewis the chance to make up for a failed bid at the heavyweight title in 2018. However, similar to his bout with Daniel Cormier, Gane proved levels above him.
Levels below champion status: Although Lewis was a sizable underdog, having the support of his adopted hometown of Houston, Texas backing him inside the Toyota Center was the one advantage the UFC veteran had. Yet, as the minutes ticked by, “Bon Gamin” quieted the crowd and proved that oddsmakers backed the right horse.
- Over three rounds, Gane showcased why he is the most technically gifted striker in the division. As he used kicks, punches and outstanding control of range to perplex Lewis. The American had no in-fight answers for his opponent and seemed a confused shell of himself.
- In the third round Lewis would suffer the fifth knockout loss of his career and was only able to mount 18 landed strikes, compared to the 99 Gane scored.
What Makes Derrick Lewis so popular?
You would think being named “The Black Beast” should strike fear in the hearts of observers of the sport. However, in the case of Lewis, while he surely gives opponents cold sweats, he has become a beloved and comedic figure in the MMA industry. From his admiration of Popeye’s chicken to his hilariously infamous hot balls moment at UFC 229 in 2018, he has become an adored one-of-a-kind figure in the UFC.
However, what the Texan has done inside the Octagon is no laughing matter. He has charted a path of destruction over his 21 Octagon appearances. Putting 12 opponents to sleep with a style of striking that won’t be used in any how-to teaching videos on perfect technique. No, he rose to the top of the heavyweight division with brutal force and the sort of power that seems more like something out of a Marvel comic.
At UFC 265, Lewis was unable to win the division crown in his second try, but he will nonetheless remain one of the top talents at heavyweight. He may not be championship quality, but his not of this world power is still one of the most fearsome forces and challenges in the weight class.
Derrick Lewis net worth
The measure of a fighter is often down to the bucks they’ve made. As of right now, Derrick Lewis’ net worth is speculated to be US $1.5 million.