The Underground has learned from two people with knowledge of the booking that Pereira and Ponzinibbio have verbally agreed to meet at a UFC Fight Night event on May 21 that does not currently have an officially announced location. Bout agreements are expected to be finalized shortly.
Pereira (27-11 MMA, 5-2 UFC) fought most recently in January, picking up a hard-fought decision win over UFC newcomer Andre Fialho. It was the fourth consecutive win for the flashy Brazilian contender, who also had earned victories over Niko Price, Khaos Williams and Zelim Imadaev in his current run.
Meanwhile, Ponzinibbio (28-5 MMA, 10-4 UFC) currently sits at No. 14 in the UFC's official welterweight rankings as he looks to rebound from a split-decision loss to Geoff Neal at December's UFC 259. Prior to the setback, Ponzinibbio had earned a June win over Miguel Baeza in that evening's "Fight of the Night," as well as a contender for "Fight of the Year."
With the edition to the card, the May 21 lineup now includes:
- Holly Holm vs. Ketlen Vieira
- Michel Pereira vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio
- Jailton Almeida vs. Maxim Grishin
- Felipe Colares vs. Chase Hooper
- Alexander Gustafsson vs. Ben Rothwell
- Uros Medic vs. Omar Morales
- Alen Amedovski vs. Joseph Holmes
- Tabatha Ricci vs. Polyana Viana
- Chidi Njokuani vs. Dusko Todorovic