LAS VEGAS – MMA Underground was on scene and reporting live from Friday's "UFC 279: Chimaev vs. Diaz" official weigh-ins, where three athletes failed to make weight for their scheduled contest.
The early weigh-ins took place at the UFC Apex and preceded the day's ceremonial weigh-ins, which take place at 4 p.m. PT local time at MGM Grand Garden Arena. The nearby T-Mobile Arena hosts the following night's event that has a main card airing on ESPN+ pay-per-view following prelims on ESPNews, ESPN+ and UFC Fight Pass.
The night's main event features undefeated fast-rising star Khamzat Chimaev (11-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) looking to keep his record perfect against one of the biggest stars in the sport who may be making his final UFC appearance in Nate Diaz (20-13 MMA, 15-11 UFC). However, Chimaev's status for the contest was left in jeopardy after he registered 178.5 pounds for the welterweight matchup.
Other athletes to miss weight include Hakeem Dawodu (13-2-1 MMA, 6-2 UFC), who registered 149.5 pounds for his featherweight matchup with Julian Erosa (27-9 MMA, 5-5 UFC), as well as Chris Barnett (22-8 MMA, 1-2 UFC), who was 267.5 pounds for his heavyweight matchup with Jake Collier (13-7 MMA, 5-6 UFC).
Chimaev, Dawodo and Barnett each hit the scales just once and did not utilize the option of an additional hour of cutting.
Additionally, a women's bantamweight matchup of Irene Aldana (13-6 MMA, 6-4 UFC) vs. Macy Chiasson (8-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) was changed to a 140-pound catchweight matchup moments before the two athletes hit the scales.
UFC 279 weigh-in results include:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Khamzat Chimaev (178.5)# vs. Nate Diaz (171)
- Tony Ferguson (171) vs. Li Jingliang (170.5)
- Kevin Holland (179.5) vs. Daniel Rodriguez (179)
- Irene Aldana (137.5) vs. Macy Chiasson (139.5)
- Ion Cutelaba (205.5) vs. Johnny Walker (205)
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPNews, ESPN+, 8 p.m. ET)
- Hakeem Dawodu (149.5)* vs. Julian Erosa (146)
- Jailton Almeida (216.5) vs. Anton Turkalj (214)
- Jamie Pickett (185.5) vs. Denis Tiuliulin (186)
- Chris Barnett (267.5)^ vs. Jake Collier (265)
PRELIMINARY (UFC Fight Pass, 6 p.m. ET)
- Norma Dumont (146) vs. Danyelle Wolf (146)
- Alatengheili (135) vs. Chad Anheliger (135.5)
- Melissa Martinez (113.5) vs. Elise Reed (115.5)
- Yohan Lainesse (171) vs. Darian Weeks (170.5)
# Chimaev missed weight by 7.5 pounds and is done cutting at this time
* Dawodu missed weight by 3.5 pounds and is done cutting at this time
^ Barnett missed weight by 1.5 pounds and is done cutting at this time