Back-and-forth battle between Cutelaba and Jacoby ends in split-draw

Light heavyweight Ion Cutelaba has made a name for himself for his pre-fight shenanigans in an attempt to intimidate opponents. He tried it with Magomed Ankalaev and ended up receiving back-to-back first-round knockouts from the Russian. He tried it yesterday with new foe Dustin Jacoby during their face-off following the ceremonial weigh-ins. It didn’t cost him in the fight, but he nearly had a second straight fight of receiving pre-fight antics karma.

Early in the first, Jacoby worked a jab to keep Cutelaba at bay and try to control his power punching opportunities. Two minutes in, “The Hulk” scored a takedown and battled with his opponent against the cage. Every time Jacoby got back to the feet, his powerful foe would return him back to the mat and unload with some stiff ground-and-pound. It was a dominant first round for the 27-year old, scoring eight takedowns, as Jacoby could not get separation for much of the round and he was beaten up by the Moldovan.

Jacoby did not let his difficulties in the first round get him down, however. In the second round, he continued working his jab and shut down Cutelaba’s takedowns after he tied a light heavyweight record in the first. After the opening frame was all Cutelaba, the follow-up was a competitive round where “The Hanyak” likely tied things up going into the third.

Cutelaba was far slower than he was in the first while Jacoby continued a consistent output and pace. After being the dominant force in the first, Jacoby was now the aggressor and putting the pressure on his opponent. Even scoring a takedown in the final seconds of the fight. It was a difficult fight to score, and clearly, the judges felt the same way as the bout ended in a split draw. With one judge scoring the fight for each fighter, and the last a draw, after giving Cutelaba a 10-8 round in the first. The draw ends Jacoby’s four-fight win streak and moves Cutelaba to 4-5-1 in the UFC.