Stipe Miocic says UFC never contacted him about a Jones or interim title fight
Despite reports that a Stipe Miocic vs Jon Jones fight was a topic of conversation within the Ultimate Fighting Championship, the former two-time heavyweight champion says he never heard about the idea directly from the promotion.
Earlier in the month, UFC President Dana White mentioned in interviews that a fight between the former light heavyweight champion and Miocic (20-4) was suggested to the 39-year-old and that he verbally accepted the offer. However, in a new conversation with ESPN, the superstar heavyweight claims that he and his team was never contacted regarding the hypothetical matchup. Nor were they contacted when the organization decided to put on an interim heavyweight title fight on Aug. 7 at UFC 265.
Stipe Miocic says UFC didn’t reach out about Jones or interim title fight
“No,” Miocic told ESPN about being contacted regarding a Jones fight. “But they didn’t reach for the interim belt [either]. Didn’t even ask … It does bother me because I wish they would have at least came to me even if I wasn’t able to do it, I would have loved to be given the opportunity. I think I deserved it, but I’m not going to b*tch and moan about it.”
Although he wasn’t communicated with directly by UFC brass, Miocic is open to the fight because, in the end, he is open-minded to any fight offer that comes his way.
“I’ll fight anyone. I’ve always said that. I never signed anything [to fight Jones]. Listen, I’ll fight anyone. I’ve never turned away from a fight,” said Miocic.
The always overlooked Miocic isn’t sure when he will fight next
While the Ohio native was disappointed that the promotion never reached out to him about setting up an interim title fight — an opportunity that went instead to Derrick Lewis and Ciryl Gane — the man often regarded as the greatest UFC heavyweight of all time wasn’t necessarily surprised. After 10 years in the organization, he says he’s used to being overlooked.
“I’m used to it by this point. It’s been happening before I was champion too. You lose one fight and you think your career is over. It is what it is. That’s what the fight game is,” Miocic said.
The question now is, when will the heavyweight GOAT return to the Octagon? In a perfect world, Miocic admitted a trilogy bout with current heavyweight king Francis Ngannou would be his preferred option. However, with a son on the way he has no set time frame for when he would like to return to action. Instead, his next fight all boils down to an upcoming conversation he plans to have with White in Las Vegas very soon.
“Right now I’m having a child, so that’s the first and foremost important thing right now. But we’re going to have a meeting with Dana. Perhaps [in] September, and we’ll figure it out,” he said.
Who would you like to see Miocic face next in his return to the Octagon?Join the discussion on this topic...